Hid Conversion

killerFatty

I have a 99 LS400 with factory HID and recently bought a 98 LS400 for my wife, but it does not have the factory HID. The light from the 98's factory halogens was pitiful in comparison to the 99's HId's. It was a dim, yellow color that barely lit up the road at all. I bought a pair of Kensun 4300K slim ballast from Amazon ($109) and installed them in the 98. The light is fantastic, probably at least 3X as bright as the halogens, as advertised. It makes night driving a lot easier and safer. The lights don't blind other driver's, either. The HID bulbs were directed properly by simply installing them in place of the halogens without me having to adjust them. The lenses on the 98 LS appear to be the same as those on the 99 with the factory HID. That is, the lenses are not fluted and seem to be "HID ready." On your 1st gen, the lenses will be fluted and this may create some light scatter issues. If you install HID bulbs in your factory housings, you'll want to make sure that they don't create a blinding hazard for oncoming cars.

The Kensun lights recommended above work flawlessly as plug and play, without needing a relay. (A relay is an extra device that is wired between the battery and the lights and provides 12V to the lights directly from the battery when the lights are switched on. It prevents flicker and turn on problems created by the factory wiring not providing sufficiently constant voltage.) I needed to reverse the polarity of one of the connections on the Kensuns, which I understand is quite common. I bought another pair of HID's for the fogs from a different vendor, and they would not turn on with the auto-on feature when starting the car. They'd flicker and then go out, so that I had to switch them on manually, after which they worked fine. I didn't want to bother installing a relay, but I always use the auto on setting, so I bought a second set of Kensuns for the fogs and they work perfectly. I've only had the HID bulbs/ballasts in the headlights for about one month, so I cannot say how they will hold up long term.

• 1 month later...
I have a 99 LS400 with factory HID and recently bought a 98 LS400 for my wife, but it does not have the factory HID. The light from the 98's factory halogens was pitiful in comparison to the 99's HId's. It was a dim, yellow color that barely lit up the road at all. I bought a pair of Kensun 4300K slim ballast from Amazon ($109) and installed them in the 98. The light is fantastic, probably at least 3X as bright as the halogens, as advertised. It makes night driving a lot easier and safer. The lights don't blind other driver's, either. The HID bulbs were directed properly by simply installing them in place of the halogens without me having to adjust them. The lenses on the 98 LS appear to be the same as those on the 99 with the factory HID. That is, the lenses are not fluted and seem to be "HID ready." On your 1st gen, the lenses will be fluted and this may create some light scatter issues. If you install HID bulbs in your factory housings, you'll want to make sure that they don't create a blinding hazard for oncoming cars.

The Kensun lights recommended above work flawlessly as plug and play, without needing a relay. (A relay is an extra device that is wired between the battery and the lights and provides 12V to the lights directly from the battery when the lights are switched on. It prevents flicker and turn on problems created by the factory wiring not providing sufficiently constant voltage.) I needed to reverse the polarity of one of the connections on the Kensuns, which I understand is quite common. I bought another pair of HID's for the fogs from a different vendor, and they would not turn on with the auto-on feature when starting the car. They'd flicker and then go out, so that I had to switch them on manually, after which they worked fine. I didn't want to bother installing a relay, but I always use the auto on setting, so I bought a second set of Kensuns for the fogs and they work perfectly. I've only had the HID bulbs/ballasts in the headlights for about one month, so I cannot say how they will hold up long term.

Hi!

I have a 1998 LS400 that came with HID headlights from the factory. Now the driver's side bulb is blown and the dealer wants $300 for a replacement (!). Could I use the Kensun bulbs you mention in you post - will they fit? If yes, do you receommend I replace both sides?

Sincerely,

Jay D

Hi!

I have a 1998 LS400 that came with HID headlights from the factory. Now the driver's side bulb is blown and the dealer wants $300 for a replacement (!). Could I use the Kensun bulbs you mention in you post - will they fit? If yes, do you receommend I replace both sides?

Sincerely,

Jay D

Aftermarket HID conversion kits use "rebased" HID bulbs -- they can not be used in headlights designed for HID bulbs. Your 98 LS uses D2R HID bulbs like my 00 LS. The rebased HID bulbs dasha1 used in his wife's 98 LS were rebased to fit a 9006 Halogen bulb socket.

I've seen a 2-pack of new OEM Phillips HID D2R bulbs on eBay for as little as $125. Replace both bulbs if you want them to have the same color. Stick with the OEM 4100K temperature for maximum output. Higher temperatue bulbs (6000K, 8000K, etc.) are "bluer" but put out less light.

Be careful when buying on eBay. People sell used OEM Phillips HID D2R bulbs for about the same price as new ones.

the higher the number the less light out put, a 5000k puts out more light than a 10,000k. i still have my 5000k for sale, i will give it to u for 75$ plus shipping, it has the high beam option and i paid 250.00 for it

the higher the number the less light out put, a 5000k puts out more light than a 10,000k. i still have my 5000k for sale, i will give it to u for 75$ plus shipping, it has the high beam option and i paid 250.00 for it

Hey Python! "Killer" has a 93 LS that uses 9003/HB2/H4 bulbs. I thought you had your HID kit in your 92 LS headlights which use 9004 bulbs ... or had you installed 93/94 LS400 headlights in your 92 LS. Would your HID kit fit killer's 93 LS headlights? I remember when you said you had to splice in H4 connectors when you installed the Eagle Eye headlights on your 92.

d2r and drs bulbs are only rebased by cheap companies.

You can get D2c bulbs which cover both bases and work fine . They cost $80 for a pair which is what i have and get for most people I know in 5000k to get rid of the yellow.

Hey SK,

Dr. Jay was asking what would fit the 9006 sockets in his wife's 98 LS400. I guess I've always seen the term "rebased" used to describe HID bulbs that wil fit 9006 or 9004. What do you call these types of bulbs?

Hi!

Sincerely,

Jay D

I don't know. You might email sam at kensun (sam@kensun.com) and ask him what he recommends. My guess is that you can find a bulb that works for around $50 and certainly much less than $300 the dealer quoted you. It would be a shame, though, if you bought a bulb, plugged it in, and it blew out right away because it was not compatible.