Advice For New 96 Es300 Owner

esLexus

checked on ebay and there doesn't seem to be many people selling their stock wheels. i checked the pictures again and those wheels don't seem to be stock lexus wheels (the L doesn't look like the lexus' L, looks aftermarket).

looked through tirerack and saw a bunch of wheels. with varying offsets, anywheres between 35 to 42. is there a significant difference between offsets?

Search for "Lexus Wheels Rims" you'll find over 100 auctions.

The wheels you're seeing are chromed right? Those wheels have that weird "L" because they're chromed by an aftermarket company and they cannot reuse the Lexus "L" because of copyright. The L is easily swapped by buying new genuine Lexus center caps.

yup, i understand that... and that's why i wonder why everybody is saying those are SC type wheels. i checked the stock ES and SC wheels and both do not look like the ones in the picture above. so i'm wondering how people can tell the wheels in the auction are SCs or not.

after looking at all these wheels, now i understand why people want to steal other people's wheels (cause they are really expensive).

For instance, these are off a 2000-2001 ES they will work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2455552292

These are off my generation ES, they'll work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...455835182\

This is the stock wheel for your car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2455908449

One not in chrome

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2456348152

Search for "Lexus Wheels Rims" then "Lexus Rims" then "Lexus Wheels"

yup, i understand that... and that's why i wonder why everybody is saying those are SC type wheels. i checked the stock ES and SC wheels and both do not look like the ones in the picture above. so i'm wondering how people can tell the wheels in the auction are SCs or not.

after looking at all these wheels, now i understand why people want to steal other people's wheels (cause they are really expensive).

Its because we're Lexus heads, we know what wheels came on all versions and models of all Lexus ;)

They're definately SC wheels, the SC has had lots of different wheel designs over the years. Here's a link to the same wheels on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2456387537

Here they are again listed as SC wheels

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2456191790

Actually the ones on ebay are cheap, from the dealer the rims will cost $5-600 a peice.

You dont need to worry about it before you drive home, and you may not need to worry about it ever. I'd just drive it home like it is, have a mechanic you trust look at the suspension and say if the wheels are harming any components. We're just saying they MAY pose a problem. However, they've been on the car this long one more trip home isn't going to kill it ;)

the rims should fit and drive fine as all lexus offsets are only 5-7 mm away from anyother

in such a small (15 inch ) rim there would be no problem at all to drive as long as you want

if you want to replace and get another set of rims for some reason then just get another aftermarket set which would be about the same price for a used set of oem ones and these new ones would be to whatever you style is.

FYI:

The stock size wheels & tires for the '96 ES are: 15 x 6.0in. alloy wheels. 205/65R15 V-rated radials. I read this right out of the 1996 Lexus ES300 catalog. ;)

i wasn't aware that amaco is trustworthy in doing a rebuild of the tranny, first of all. can you inform me as to how much this entire process cost? (i'm aiming for worse case scenario).

if what you say is true, i'm going to be in deep :censored: because nyc dips into sub 30 degree temperatures easily. speaking of which, did your engine have that oil sludge problem mentioned above as well?

Mine was indeed the worst case scenario; it was rebuilt entirely. $2350 plus tax. I also had them do the rear main seal while they were in there; that was another $100 exactly, part and labor.

Included in this was the tow from the Lexus dealer to the Aamco shop; they pay the tow if you have them do the work. (The Lexus dealer had told me "yep, you need a new one; rebuilt tranny, $2500; labor, $850; rear main seal plus labor, $200; plus tax". Thank you sir, may I have another.)

I have no qualms about how my local Aamco treated me, nor about how the job was (apparently) done. They took me back to see my tranny in pieces, and to see the rebuild kit. The guy who was doing the work impressed the hell out of me; he was kinda young but very clean, very knowledgeable, and very well spoken. That place was a busy place, let me tell you. It had been at that same corner in my neighborhood since the year after I was born. From the looks of all the different cars they had in there, old and new, it seemed every manufacturer was represented in there.

Funny story: they tell me it's ready, so I go and get it and drive it off the lot. 1/4 mile later the check engine light came on. I turned around and drove back, and ended up letting them have it for another day. Turns out that the tranny had been failing gradually, and the computer was watching it and adjusting for it. Day to day, the computer was getting used to it and not seeing enough of a change to trigger the light. But when the new tranny went in, the computer saw a *huge* difference between what had been installed and what was now installed--so it triggered the light. They checked everything out and cleared the code, and that was that.

Part of their service is a check up a week or two later, to make sure everything's seated and tightened and no leaks. The $2350 included a 12 month/12K mile warranty. They also have 36/36 and lifetime warranties (that gets expensive!).

Lexus is a box shop; they just drop in a rebuilt unit. Plus, how often do they get the experience? Probably not often. Aamco does this all the time, plus they're happy to fix what's wrong and save what's not, if possible. He said the price history on that transmission repair over the past couple of years is around $1900. I also needed the valve assembly, which bumped it up another $250, plus incidentals. Like I said, mine got entirely rebuilt, really. They reused the case and the gearsets and the differential, and replaced everything else.

As for the sludge problem, I don't know and I'm trying very hard not to think about that.

Anyone want to buy a 34K mile 2000 Honda Accord EX 5 speed, complete with factory warranty through July 22, 2007? It's in my garage, and I need to get rid of it now...

FYI:

The stock size wheels & tires for the '96 ES are: 15 x 6.0in. alloy wheels. 205/65R15 V-rated radials. I read this right out of the 1996 Lexus ES300 catalog. ;)

BUT those SC wheels are 16x7, that was my point ;)

I would be more concern with the "sludge" than the wheels. If the engine locks up, you 'ain't ' a' gonna anywhere, anyway! Thanks for the info on the web site. I'll check it out and see what happens.

I did contact the dealer I bought it from and the owner promised to reimburse for the repairs up to 1000.00.

Hopefully he will keep his word after the reparis are complete. It was nice that the Lexus dealer gave me a RX330 to ride around in while mine is in the hospital... :P

I would be more concern with the "sludge" than the wheels. If the engine locks up, you 'ain't ' a' gonna anywhere, anyway! Thanks for the info on the web site. I'll check it out and see what happens.

I did contact the dealer I bought it from and the owner promised to reimburse for the repairs up to 1000.00.

Hopefully he will keep his word after the reparis are complete. It was nice that the Lexus dealer gave me a RX330 to ride around in while mine is in the hospital... :P

oh definitely no doubt... but i'm going to be sticking my finger inside of the engine to find out if there is any sludge :wacko:

<homer simpson voice> mmmm.... sludge.... </homer simpson voice>

hopefully there isn't any... because if there is, i'm probably not going to buy it... especially reading adam's story above. i wonder if it's possible to flush it out... and how many flushes it would take if there is a little.

guess we'll see... just got a :censored:-load of snow dumped here... so that killed my plans for going to the guy today.

actually SC wheels are 16x6.5 (stock ones at least).

The base wheels were 16x6.5 but those particular SC300 wheels are 16x7.

LOL! :lol: Seriously, I still find it amazing that all of you can tell the wheel size and what not just by looking at a picture. :cheers:

hopefully there isn't any... because if there is, i'm probably not going to buy it... especially reading adam's story above. i wonder if it's possible to flush it out... and how many flushes it would take if there is a little.

You can flush it out. Find a shop that has a Motor Vac, a product by Snap On.

I'm writing to thank all of you who have given me advice on the Lexus as I physically went to inspect the car today.

First thing I noticed was that the interior was more worn than the picture. The phone antenna was snaped off as well. The rims were 16 inches (so all you lexus heads were right! ;p) and the front and rear tires were cheapo tires, as well as unmatched; fronts are smaller than the back. There were no spacers on the wheels tho.

Under the hood, everything was pretty clean. There was an oil change as the color looked perfectly fine. Opened the cap and BAM, sludge, and quite a bit of it too! :( I reckon that it wasn't properly maintained for the sludge to wind up that high. The other fluids were also in need of change (they were all dark or at low levels).

I thanked the seller for allowing me to look it over, told him about the problems and why I'm not buying the car. He accepted them and we went merrily on our ways.

Thanks again for giving me a crash course on general maintence (pun, not intended) as there might have been a chance I would have bought this car and had headaches with future maintence. Back to the drawing board. ;)