Antenna Mast Replacement On 2004 Sc430

jpwonderdog

Hi all, new member. Great forum.

About me, I have a 2004 SC 430, purchased new, now has about 22k miles. Yeah...I bought it as a "fun" car for my wife, she never drove it much, so now I do. It is a phenomenal vehicle.

Anyway, after a bonehead carwash episode I needed to replace the antenna mast. I bought the replacement on eBay from AntennaMastsRus for about $18 including shipping. It came with instructions, which I read several times before I attempted the replacement. In my case, the antenna cable appeared to be intact and not broken off in the motor housing. The antenna still extended, but would not retract fully due to damage.

Following the replacement antenna instructions, I found that I could not get the old mast out after removing the retaining nut, because the motor would stop running before the toothed nylon antenna cable was fully disgorged. I didnt want to try to pull it out and risk breaking off the end of the cable inside the motor housing, turning a simple project into a more time-consuming one :rolleyes: . I read all the posts here on the topic, but did not see anything about my issue.

So, I searched the net. Here's the thing: with this model, there is a process you have to do to "trick" the antenna into overextending so it spits out the full length of the antenna cable.

I found a Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin for the '02 SC 430 that was also applicable to my 2004 model: GO HERE: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613..._sc_antenna.pdf :D

What you have to do is, with the key in the ignition switch "LOCK" position, press the "AM"”and "DISC"”buttons on the radio simultaneously with turning the ignition switch to "ACC."” Then the radio"LCD"display will read "ANT"”and the antenna mast will hyper-extend, disengaging the cable. With the ignition switch still in "ACC,"” the new cable is inserted to a full stop into the motor antenna assembly through the mast pipe hole in the body panel, with the teeth on the antenna cable toward the rear of the vehicle. Then, as the person in the driver's seat switches the key to "LOCK," feed the cable and mast pipe in. After it retracts completely, replace the retaining nut.

Works like a charm. :lol:

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
Thats exactly how I did mine but my instructions that came with the antenna weren't as "official." I wish these antennas weren't so huge... I am looking into possible alternatives and will reply back if I find anything nice

The antenna broke on my 2005 SC430. I ordered one as mentioned above, however my situation was different. The cable snapped off at the base of the metal mast and is stuck inside the motor unit. Now I am looking at the challenge of removing all of the related trunk covering to gain access.

I may let this one go and take it to the dealer..

Anyone else taken on this job?

• 4 weeks later...
Thats exactly how I did mine but my instructions that came with the antenna weren't as "official." I wish these antennas weren't so huge... I am looking into possible alternatives and will reply back if I find anything nice

The antenna broke on my 2005 SC430. I ordered one as mentioned above, however my situation was different. The cable snapped off at the base of the metal mast and is stuck inside the motor unit. Now I am looking at the challenge of removing all of the related trunk covering to gain access.

I may let this one go and take it to the dealer..

Anyone else taken on this job?

I wish these antennas weren't so huge... I am looking into possible alternatives and will reply back if I find anything nice

The little 'bee sting' type might be what your looking for

1161615113-11.jpg

Hi there,

Can you provide any specific info on that antenna? That looks sooooo much nicer than the factory device.

Jerry Baumchen

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...

ARRRHHH! Knew I couldn't get so lucky. 02 430. My antenna cable broke off inside too. The AM plus DISC trick (see above) works though. But since my mast cable is broken, I had to remove and take apart the power antenna to get the remaining broken cable out. Sticky, black, waterproof gunk around the seal gets everywhere. Got the old mast cable out and reassembled  the power antenna without installing the new mast because that is basically impossible to do since the gear inside cannot be turn by hand. Now, when I turn my key back to lock, the antenna mast retracts but the motor doesn't stop so it just sits there and grinds for about 15 seconds once the Antenna mast hits the bottom. (Seems like forever.) When it does finally stop, I turn on the key again normally without using the mast hyper-extension trick and it extends normally. It just wont retract normally. Probably a limit switch in there that isn't turning off when it should. Checked Lexus Parts and Ebay. The cheapest OEM Power Antenna replacement is like $390.00. Lexus parts are over $420.00. Talk about bumbed right now. I know there must be something I am missing. Lesson learned here is that if you just toast your antenna at the car wash, you might be OK with just replacing the mast without all of the rear trunk disassembly, etc. Otherwise, if you have Lexus do it, you are probably looking at about $800.00+ if they say that they have to replace the entire Power Antenna. If I figure out why it is not stopping at the bottom of travel, I'll update this post.

Paul 

• 6 months later...

But what if you don't have a factory radio to do the little trick? I had that problem. I could not get the mast  to extend far enough to remove it. What I did was remove everything in the way to get access to the motor in the trunk. Once you have access, turn the radio on to extend the antenna. Then unplug the gray connector. Then plug it back in. When I did this it spit out the antenna mast. Then I was able to feed in the new one easily. 

• 1 month later...

has anyone replaced the old power antenna with the Bee-Sting style?  If so, it would seem to negate the need to have the Motor.  How did you install?  Did you bypass the Motor?  Any insight you may provide would be helpful.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had the ol' carswash antenna accident that seems more common than it should be.   I bent \ broke my antenna on my '02 

im 99.9% sure the motor is fine (for now) and it does go up and almost all the way down...  but I need to replace it...   here's MY unique 

dilemma.   Previous owner installed modern Bluetooth \ Carplay \ Nav etc where the old cassette and DVD area was, so I cant do the 'trick' posted 

earlier in this thread by holding down buttons...  I have no stereo to do that with anymore.     Whats the best way for me to have the replacement installed... im NOT

very 'handy' so unless its simple id take it too a dealer or mechanic to do it but dont want someone to rip me off on what the actual labor to do this would run me.

Just got my Silver SC 2 days ago and snapped the darn thing right away.  Uggggghhhh

• 2 years later...