Is The Lexus Repair Manual Good (helpful)

Zdeno

Hello, I just want to ask you guys. I won the auction right now on ebay - 1991 LS400 Lexus repair manual and want to ask you if this two volume set is good. I bought it for $91.00. 2 books original Lexus repair manual. Are this two books helpful ?? Thank you

they are helpful even if you don;t know how to fix your own car

it also gives step by step procedures for troublesooting if you do know how to fix the car yourself

they are invaluable and worth $500 a volume ,so your price is well worth it even if it is just to look up stuff

i'm not sure if you gonna be able to fix AC yourself since this procedure requires some special skills and tools but you can show the procedure from the book to the mechanic to make his life eazier and to save you some $$ on the labor time

You got a good price for the two books, you might consider also purchasing the book with all the electrical schematics. Most of them are in the second volume with my manuals for the 93 but it is much easier to find your way through the smaller manual. As far as the a/c work is concerned, if you have some basic equipment you and have a basic understanding of how an a/c system works, the manuals contain all the info you need to do the job. I replaced the a/c compressor, the evaporator expansion valve, the condensor following the guidanace in the manuals. What you need to be aware of is that prior to the 93 model, the a/c system used R12 freon which is very, very difficult and expensive to get if you don't have some stached away. with the 93 and after, the a/c system uses R 134A which you can buy easily, SAMS Club had a 30 lb tank for around $60. If you are going to convert your R12 system to R134A, you have to completely purge the system and remove all the mineral oil that is used with the R12 system. The R134A system uses a synthetic oil and the oils are not compatible. You should also change out all the O rings in the system because the R134A system uses a different type. BTW, if you do need a new compressor, check with Pace Compressors in Tampa Fl. They had rebuilts for $299 last summer when I changed out mine and the replacement is working great. If your compressor has destroyed it self, you should also consider installing a line filter in the suction line to trap all the debris in your system to prevent it from causing a secondary compressor failure. Good luck. You will find those manuals to be most valuable.

Hey Thank you Obergc.I have 1991 LS400. I found in papers from Original owner that he let changed the A/C compressor 2 years ago (30K miles ago) and A/C system from evacuate R-12 to R134. They changed R&R Drier, Reciever, R&R compressor assembly O/P-R134A Retrofit KIT, SOlar Thermistor - Remove and replace senzor, REMAN Compressor. They did this for $ 1 487,83. And A/C was workning just for year he said. So maybe they did anything wrong. Thanks

Since thread went to A/C, youall need to consider Maxifrig when converting from R12--it is $6.00 per can, mixes with ester lub, MUCH colder than R134, only need 70% of charge!!! But will not mix with R12; you need a vacuum pump is all!!!

Have converted 4 vehicles to it[sold one]-none are Lexus. You buy Maxifrig by the case from Texas.

check at: www.maxifrig.com

Go to the site--figure 70% of fill[listed on cond. fan motor I think]; but you will have to have someone find out what is wrong with the comp.--you mentioned stopped-up, clutch, etc.; trial and error is expensive on this stuff--find out first. You must buy a case of this-12 cans I think--no less !!!!!!!

Be aware that Maxifrig is an 'outlaw' refrig. that NO service center can handle-will contaminate their recycled refrig. If you use it , you CANNOT go to a service center unless you bleed it all out first--it will NOT harm the enviroment.