Ls400 Purchase

jonabrim

I know that you folks probably get a lot of Lexus newbies like me asking questions. I hope that you're not tired of answering. Here we go. I have the opportunity to buy a well-maintained 1997 LS400 for $6700. The records show that the power steering pump was replaced in 2008, with the EGR pipe and the drive belt replaced back around 87,000 miles. The car has 109,000 miles on it, which is very low for a 1997. The only problem as far as I can see it is that the timing belt/water pump maintenance was never done. I have a 650 mile drive home from California to Utah and I'm concerned that it might break on the way back. What's the actual risk? I know that it's overdue, but is there a good chance that I'll make it back to have it repaired there? Also, can you warn me of any other potential risks I have in buying a car this old? I was so impressed with the interior that I just can't help but want to buy the car; however, I want to make sure that I'm getting a car that, as old as it is, is still very reliable. I can't afford any major maintenance at this time. Are there any other "achilles heels", so to speak, other than the timing belt/water pump? I appreciate any feedbak you can give me.

I know that you folks probably get a lot of Lexus newbies like me asking questions. I hope that you're not tired of answering. Here we go. I have the opportunity to buy a well-maintained 1997 LS400 for $6700. The records show that the power steering pump was replaced in 2008, with the EGR pipe and the drive belt replaced back around 87,000 miles. The car has 109,000 miles on it, which is very low for a 1997. The only problem as far as I can see it is that the timing belt/water pump maintenance was never done. I have a 650 mile drive home from California to Utah and I'm concerned that it might break on the way back. What's the actual risk? I know that it's overdue, but is there a good chance that I'll make it back to have it repaired there? Also, can you warn me of any other potential risks I have in buying a car this old? I was so impressed with the interior that I just can't help but want to buy the car; however, I want to make sure that I'm getting a car that, as old as it is, is still very reliable. I can't afford any major maintenance at this time. Are there any other "achilles heels", so to speak, other than the timing belt/water pump? I appreciate any feedbak you can give me.

I would say the risk is high. It is already way past the time of the belt replacement. 600 miles is a good stretch for any car. I would ask him to take it to get it replaced with the water pump before you drive it away. IMHO it should have been done.

I would say the risk is high. It is already way past the time of the belt replacement. 600 miles is a good stretch for any car. I would ask him to take it to get it replaced with the water pump before you drive it away. IMHO it should have been done.

I would say the risk is low. Its a Lexus and built like a tank. If the previous owner was the original and the car has a history of being well-maintained, you'll be fine.

I would say the risk is low. Its a Lexus and built like a tank. If the previous owner was the original and the car has a history of being well-maintained, you'll be fine.

A belt is a belt. That has nothing to do with how well built a Lexus is. If that belt gets hot and is already cracking, it will and could stretch and break while he is on the road. Saying the risk is low is just plain dumb. If it was really well maintained, the belt would have been replaced IMHO.

just inspect the belt. if it looks good and the pulleys aren't noisy you will be fine. my project 1990 ls400 is on its original belt at 223k. its old but fine... second gen ls400's are even more reliable than earlier models. Use the overdue TB/WP service as a bargaining point. knock off a grand i bet....

Also, can you warn me of any other potential risks I have in buying a car this old?
The new power steering pump and egr pipe are huge pluses. The only other major thing I'd worry about is the starter. The starters on my past '95 LS and current '99 LS both died at 150k miles (different ages though); luckily, those repairs were taken care of before I bought the cars. The starter and power steering pump (since it will eventually kill the alternator) are all that will really stop a LS400. Suspension mounts, bushings, etc. and motor and trans mounts can get costly very quickly, but they generally won't stop you from driving where you need to go. The timing belt job is $1,000 - $1,500 at a shop or dealer, so work the price down to compensate for that expense.

Based on the 90,000 miles / 6 year timing belt replacement interval, this car should be on its 3rd timing belt ... and it hasn't been replaced even once? This fact would lead me to the assumption that the car has not been otherwise properly maintained. Don't even consider this car. There are lots of people that properly maintain their cars and one of those is what you want.

GO GET IT AND DRIVE IT HOME!!

I have 2 97's and both ran over 100k before they got timing belts, they have 235k and 243k now. my 94 ran 230k on the original belt before it broke on the original owner..

You do need to have it replaced, but it is not like you are on thin ice...

you can also do it your self for about 300.

I'm having a problem when the whole concept of paying $6700 for a 97 LS that has never had a timing belt replacement when the current realistic selling price of my high specification, perfectly maintained, nearly flawless 2000 LS400 at 115,000 miles would be only $7,500 to $8,000 in a private party sale. And it had it's timing belt, water pump and associated parts replaced before it got to 90,000 miles. To say the least, the used car market is deeply depressed -- a $6700 97 LS that needs an immediate $1500 repair does not reflect the current state of the used car market.

Besides, if you "can't afford any major maintenance at this time", an LS is probably not a car for you. I've hung around a couple of friend's Lexus repair shops over the years and have seen countless unexpected $1,000+ repair bills for non-maintenance work.

I'm having a problem when the whole concept of paying $6700 for a 97 LS that has never had a timing belt replacement when the current realistic selling price of my high specification, perfectly maintained, nearly flawless 2000 LS400 at 115,000 miles would be only $7,500 to $8,000 in a private party sale. And it had it's timing belt, water pump and associated parts replaced before it got to 90,000 miles. To say the least, the used car market is deeply depressed -- a $6700 97 LS that needs an immediate $1500 repair does not reflect the current state of the used car market.

Besides, if you "can't afford any major maintenance at this time", an LS is probably not a car for you. I've hung around a couple of friend's Lexus repair shops over the years and have seen countless unexpected $1,000+ repair bills for non-maintenance work.

Will $7500 buy your car?

First of all, welcome to the LOC! :cheers:

The new power steering pump and egr pipe are huge pluses.

agreed

The timing belt job is $1,000 - $1,500 at a shop or dealer, so work the price down to compensate for that expense.

If you have a documented and verifiable history on this car, I would say this would be a point of negotiation with the seller.

The records show that the power steering pump was replaced in 2008, with the EGR pipe and the drive belt replaced back around 87,000 miles.

These are items that needed to be replaced because of breakdown, and don't necessarily indicate that the car has been well maintained. A well maintained car would have had the TB done at 90K and have all related service documentation.

The only other major thing I'd worry about is the starter. Suspension mounts, bushings, etc. and motor and trans mounts can get costly very quickly ...

Put this together with:

I can't afford any major maintenance at this time.

and I think you have your answer!

Jona, one more aspect to these cars to remember; the LS can be made to appear in good condition with very little effort from the seller. Always have the car inspected by a professional and get the best documentation (carproof/carfax, etc) you can before buying. Unscrupulous sellers often hide probs such as fluid leaks, engine noise, body damage, bent suspension, etc with various tricks. A trained eye can often spot these probs before they become yours.

Also, if you can't afford any surprises, then allow yourself a reasonable budget (aside from what you're spending on purchasing the car) for unexpected repairs. AVnIa

First of all, thank you for the welcome!

Second, here's my confusion with all this:

The guy trying to sell it to me seems very honest (and I consider myself a good judge of character). He has only had the car for 2,000 miles and wants to sell it because his wife wants a Subaru for snow driving. He showed me all the service documentation from the previous owner, also showing me all the exterior imperfections. He hasn't seemed at all interested in scamming me. In fact, he's gone the extra mile to try and find out from the previous owner why the TB/WP weren't replaced as he himself was unaware of the risk. The previous owner is a Wells Fargo VP and he swears that he did all the maintenance on the car (the current owner's son works for the VP, so he asked him directly). I called the Lexus dealer for verification and they told me all the service history. I'm just confused as to why they did this, that, and the other without fixing something so important as the TB. Also, is it possible that the EGR pipe and driving belt were replaced as preventative measures and not because of failure? I guess I'm just bent on getting the car because the interior was so amazing. It looked like it had hardly been sat in, and I detailed cars when I was younger, so I know things weren't covered up cosmetically. I'm having a hard time finding a similar LS400 for this price. Another plus is that this was a Coach Edition, so the interior leather is black and perforated. It looks amazing. When I drove the car, it drove very smoothly with no hint of shake or other problems.

One more thing, the Lexus dealer did tell me that an oil leak was checked a few years back. What would cause an oil leak?

Thanks for any additional advice/info you can give me.

JB

Oil leaks generally develop due to worn/bad gaskets but there are other reasons as well.

Ask the owner if you can take the car to the Lexus dealer for a check-out. Thats what I did with mine. Nothing like seeing it up on a lift and having it checked out.

It may cost you a little coin but its well worth it.

Then tell them your concerns about the TB, oil leak and anything else you can think of and see what they say. True, the TB is supposed to be changed at 90k miles or

72 months, whichever comes first. But fluid changes are very important...perhaps more so. Worn fluids like engine oil, transmission fluid, etc, can cause

excessive, insidious wear on internal parts and thus shorten the life of the components over time. A worn TB will not harm the car or shorten it's life

UNLESS it actually fails. And clearly, that has not happened. So, there is a distinct difference in maintenance. Should the TB have been

replaced? Yes. Has it caused any damage to the car? No.

Now, if the original owner skipped regular fluid changes, you might have some concern. Is the lack of TB change indicative of not being very attentive? Perhaps, perhaps not. The dealer may be able to help there with records. Then again, what do I know(just plain dumb advice!)? ;)

Hey, if you have a digital camera, we would love to see some pics!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same model year. I changed my belt at 105k on the recommendation of my mechanic(non-lexus), who said that the belts are very beefy. He also said that this motor would not be hurt if the belt broke, but another reader said that this year did not have that type of engine. Regardless, the belt I had replaced looked great. No cracks wear etc. He said he replaced belts at 150k that looked fine.

That is a good price on the car if all else is ok. But, it is a car, so nothing is perfect. Mine has a water leak in the truck that seems to be pretty common. I need to replace my gasket. It is a do it yourself job, but the seal I was told is a dealer item and about $175. Also, I cannot add aux to this car since it does not have a SAT button on the radio. Again, mine does not have it. I guess it was standard in 98. Lastly, I took mine to a Lexus dealer on an issue with some non-Lexus work done on my windsheild. The shop manager said the 97 was a great car. His comment was that they had all the "bugs" worked out of it. This car will run longer then you will probably care to own it. Unless you put on 30k a year or more. Best of luck.

I have the same model year. I changed my belt at 105k on the recommendation of my mechanic(non-lexus), who said that the belts are very beefy. He also said that this motor would not be hurt if the belt broke, but another reader said that this year did not have that type of engine. Regardless, the belt I had replaced looked great. No cracks wear etc.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am very confident that anything '95 and newer is an interferance engine, which means the car will be totaled if the T-belt breaks because the engine will have smashed valves and all sorts of crazy damage. So the motor will be hurt if the belt breaks. Having seen the belt on my '93, which I don't know if it is the same as your's or not, after 100K and 9 years it is only showing minor sines of wear. (Knock on wood it doesn't now decide to break) I personally believe the lexus scedualed matainence is very conservative and on the safe side. I would think Lexus would want to make for certain that not a single T-belt would break within more than a few thousand miles of their recomendation. Just MHO. Personally I would visually check, or better yet have a pro check the T-belt for cracks or any sine of wear. If it looks good, then I wouldn't worry about driving it home as long as you get it done within a timely manor.

I'd snap that LS up, and drive rigthj back to Utah and not worry one bit. Unless someone has really hammered the car hard, these belts last about forever. Lexus probably posts the lifespan at half.