O/d And Etc Power

Wes

Guys I am new to this Lexus driving since I have had my 94 LS 400 for 2 weeks.

I have been playing today and found out about the ETC Power button.

Can anyone tell me (Besides what is in the manual) what this really does.

I also was checking out the difference between O/D on and off. WOW

My RPM can jump almost 1000 when I switch this on. Call me a newby but I loved it.

Anyway, Do you guys drive with these things on or off and why and what difference does it make.

Just curious.

Wes

ECT is related to Torque, and the O/D is your final drive gear. I leave both lights off, O/D on--no light in dash, and occasionally I use the ECT button, to increase the punch of my LS. It should allow the electronic Torque converter to send some more power to the gears and valves.

what OD button does is it disables your 4th gear, that is why you see that RPM ups and downs. when its off it also makes tranny shift with the delay so for example in stead of switching to upper gear at 2k rpm you will switch at 3k. as to the ECT this button doesnt really do much. it gives the same effect as if you floor it. it supposed to change the shifting logic if the tranny ECU but you cant really feel it. i did some field tests on ES, LS and GS models and no1 feels a bit of a difference.

Can you run your car in ETC or will it be hurtful to keep it on?

When do you run in over drive and when do you not?

I kind of like the extra power it gives but I want to run my car where I get the best wear on my car so I did not know what is the best way to run.

Thanks guys!!!

you can drive in with od off in the city when you dont go over 30-40 mph. but you will sacrifice fuel economy but hte car gonna be more responsive if you push the accelerator. on the highway you should keep it on (light off) otherwire you gonna rape you car by not lettin it switch into 4th gear.

Can you run your car in ETC or will it be hurtful to keep it on?

When do you run in over drive and when do you not?

Wes,

3rd gear in your car (4th in my LS) is a 1:1 gear ratio. In other words, one revolution of the transmission input shaft results in one revolution of the drive shaft. If you turn on the OD (button pushed in and no light on dash) the final drive ratio drops to somewhere around 0.7:1 (0.7 rotations of the transmission input shaft to 1 rotation of the drive shaft). What does this mean .... it's simply a way to gain better fuel mileage by lowering rpm for a given road speed. So you could leave the OD off for the life of the car but you would reduce your fuel economy and increase the wear on your engine by some incremental amount since it would be running at a higher average rpm.

The ECT switch has one funtion and one funtion only ... when turned on it changes (raises) the shift points for your transmission. If you read the specs on your car you will notice that the peak hp and torque values are somewhere in the 4k to 5k rpm range. Under "normal" driving conditions your transmission will shift into the next gear way before the engine gets to 4k rpm so you're not going to generate peak hp and torque numbers driving like that but you will save fuel. Let's say you want to pass another vehicle on a two lane road ... you'd most likely want to get around the other car/truck ASAP. You could manually put the transmission in 2nd gear, hold it there until you approach red line (or peak hp rpm) then shift to 3rd, hold it there to red line etc. Most Lexus buyers that buy new cars are 50+ with no idea of how anything works let alone the desire to exceed the posted speed limit. The ECT switch was meant for them to make the whole experience idiot proof. In a nutshell ... the ECT switch allows you to get more performance out of your car because the transmission shift points allow the engine to rev to values approaching peak hp and torque numbers.

I hope I haven't confused the issue.

:)

I read in a magazine about the time I purchased an LS in 90 that, when the ECT switch is in the NORM position, the engine timing is altered (retarded?) just as the transmission shifts up. That is why the shift is so smooth and almost feels like the transmission is slipping at the point of the shilft. The engine timing is not altered (or at least altered less) when the switch is in the PWR position and that is why the shift is more abrupt. I also remember a car magazine article where they tested an early LS at around 70K and were surprised that the ECT switch position made no different in accelleration times when the throttle was floored. Personally, I thought having the ECT switch on PWR made the car feel more responsive and fun to drive.

One of the benefits of the O/D button was to be able to turn O/D off to keep the transmission from "hunting" between 3rd gear and O/D when towing a trailer on hilly roads. I always left the O/D on. Playing with it the button brought back bad memories of my 78 Volvo 242 which had so little power that you had to constantly mess with the O/D switch!

.  Most Lexus buyers that buy new cars are 50+ with no idea of how anything works let alone the desire to exceed the posted speed limit.  The ECT switch was meant for them to make the whole experience idiot proof.  In a nutshell ... the ECT switch allows you to get more performance out of your car because the transmission shift points allow the engine to rev to values approaching peak hp and torque numbers.

As one of those Lexus owner/buyers who is over 50 and doesn't know how anything works, please let me offer my uninformed opinion.

First of all I bought my first LS because I recognized how things are supposed to work and recognized that Lexus simply made them work better than anyone else.

The idea expressed that the ECT switch is intended as some sort of idiot proof performance enhancing device is absurd and laughable. When maximum power is required such as passing simply slamming the accelerator to the floor is all that is necessary and whether the ECT switch is engaged or not it will not affect engine performance.

As correctly stated the ECT switch simply delays the shift points in the transmission. It is intended to be used when the engine may be placed under extreme stresses such as pulling a trailer or climbing a steep incline which can cause damage to engine pistons if excessive (in the "olden days" we called it "pinging"). Instead of manually downshifting simply depress the ECT switch and let it work as intended.

Under these conditions when driving a manual (stick) shift transmission you would simply delay upshifts. The ECT switch simply does this for you to help avoid possible internal engine damage. No more, no less.

Yup...even drive over the speed limit............................ocassionally! ;)

As one of those Lexus owner/buyers who is over 50 and doesn't know how anything works, please let me offer my uninformed opinion.

gaknut,

You should read posts more carefully. I said MOST Lexus buyers not ALL ... but if you wish to describe yourself that way I certainly won't argue with you!!

Yeah, if I had a dollar for every Lexus that I've seen pulling a trailer ...!!

My previous post stands as is!!

I was simply trying to tell you the REAL reason Lexus added the ECT switch but if you think it's for performance then.....How about dual ECT switches.....Yea!

I haven't seen too many LS's pulling a trailer either but neither have I seen many in any type of performance competition!!!

You stated "most" and by that insulted probably "most" of the members of this forum who happen to be over 50 and yes, there are a few..

Your statement was prejudicial and a direct slam to most people over 50, some of whom may actually be a little more informed than yourself, though I'm certain you may find that difficult to accept.

I'm certain you have probably heard the statement that most male Rottweiler handlers are merely compensating for their lack of manhood!

Get my point?

I always leave the "O/D" button in on (activated) my car. The engine runs slower and you get better fuel economy. Also, I have to drive about 3 miles on a 4-lane state highway before I get into the city and at 60-70mph, rpms are un-necessarily too fast when the O/D is off. Even in the city- I leave it on, as this seems like the gear the car is mostly in, even in 35-40 mph speeds. The o/d off is good however, if you drive in hilly and mountainous terrain. It eliminates un-necessary up-shifts and helps save the brakes on down-hill grades. Being from the southern Appalachains, I have been in the higher terrain of extreme east Tennessee and western North Carolina and features like this are good, if your are going through the mountain passes- which I rarely do. I live on the western slopes in the valley, which is gentle rolling hills, but most roads are mostly flat here in the metro area.

Where to begin? I'd like to apologize in advance to the members of this board for this post. I enjoy reading 99% of the posts here and particularly enjoy exchanging ideas or information with the likes of 99, VMF, VBdenny, AWJ and many more. I learn something every time I visit this board and I hope that I've managed to help others with some of my posts. However ... today is not one of those days.

gaknut,

How about a quote from you and then one from the '99 LS owner's manual.

I was simply trying to tell you the REAL reason Lexus added the ECT switch but if you think it's for performance then.....How about dual ECT switches.....Yea!

Page 163 of the '99 LS400 manual ...

"For more powerful acceleration and sporty driving, use the 'Power' position. In the 'Power' position, the "ECT PWR" light in the instrument cluster is on and the transmission is shifted up at higher vehicle speeds and shifted down more responsively than in the 'Normal' position."

It is intended to be used when the engine may be placed under extreme stresses such as pulling a trailer or climbing a steep incline which can cause damage to engine pistons if excessive

I've read through the "Towing" section in my '99 LS manual and there's absolutely no mention of the ECT switch ... there is mention of turning off the OD!!

You stated "most" and by that insulted probably "most" of the members of this forum who happen to be over 50 and yes, there are a few..

Your statement was prejudicial and a direct slam to most people over 50, some of whom may actually be a little more informed than yourself, though I'm certain you may find that difficult to accept.

Once again your inability to read posts correctly is painfully obvious. How many Lexus owners in this country are members of this forum? I doubt even 0.0001%. In addition, how many members of this forum have bought NEW cars? Any member here that is over 50 and has bought a new Lexus is by definition an exception to the "norm". They're individuals that either know quite a bit about their car and want to share that knowledge or they want to learn something about their car.

some of whom may actually be a little more informed than yourself, though I'm certain you may find that difficult to accept.

I have no illusions about my abilities, I know who I am, I know what I'm capable of, and I know how little I know. I reveal my ignorance on a daily basis to my boss who happens to have an MS and PhD in Mechanical Engineering from MIT. But let me give you some personal background since you've enlightened us with a description of your profession. I'm 39 years old and have been working on cars and trucks for more than 20 years. I have a BS and an MS in Mechanical Engineering. I currently work at the University of Hawaii as a Mechanical Engineer specializing in corrosion. I will be speaking at the Army Corrosion Summit in Florida in February presenting the results of a two-year Metal Matrix Composite research project for the US Army. I worked in the construction industry from '84 to '96 as a welder and diver both in the UK and the US. I have passed numerous coded welding tests and hold a 5G pipe welding certification underwritten by Lloyds of London. I'm also a certified offshore hardhat diver and have worked on many projects in the US (mostly in Hawaii). I spent much of the early '90's at the bottom of Pearl Harbor! So what does all this mean ... maybe not a whole lot but I take pride in what I do, what I've achieved and what I write. I don't consider my posts to be "absurd and laughable".

I'm certain you have probably heard the statement that most male Rottweiler handlers are merely compensating for their lack of manhood!

Get my point?

No I haven't heard that statement but now you're starting to *BLEEP* me off. If you'd like I can send you an mpeg of my beautiful 30-year-old Korean wife giving me a BJ and let you decide. Better yet, let your wife decide!! As for my Rottweilers, handling them is my wife's job and she has a total lack of manhood so I guess you're right about something!!!

You indeed just proved my point in your own assessment of your abilities.

You will also note that I also said "most" Rottweiler handlers. Why did you take it so personal and not expect me to when you said "most" people over 50?

hey guys:) take it easy and dont take it personal, its just a forum:) we aare all ppeaceful members of this forum but our opinions not always.gaknut you usually state your opinion without trying to offend your fellow forum members. even if you think you are right and your IQ is superior to the every1 else here. i 100% with k9 about his reply in terms of LS400. now guys lets stop fighting. please dont make me close this topic

VMF,

I apologize to the members here and particularly to Wes who started this topic. There's enough pertinent information in these posts and in the owner's manual for Wes to make up his own mind as to the "real" function of the ECT switch. I won't add anything more.

Aloha

:)

Thanks guys!! hey if we didn't have a little Testosterone flowing around here it would not be the guys getting together. I learned everything I needed about the O/d and ETc. Thanks to all those who contributed. Conflict is a good thing if we can all walk away still on the same Lexus team. Thanks again guys!!

:cheers::cheers: