Change Transmission Fluid

lexus_ne

I'm thinking about changing the ATF on my 2000 RX3000 myself for the first time. I have read this excellent DIY post (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/220061-photo-diy-rx300-awd-transmission-fluid-pan-filter-change.html) and think I can handle it. I have several questions before rolling up my sleeves though:

* What type of ATF should I get?

* My rx300 only has 65K miles on it although it's almost 10 years old. Do I need to replace the transmission fluid pan gasket and filter? If yes, where is the best place to get the parts?

Cheers,

Jim

I would only use the stock Toyota Type-IV. Some guys are using compatible synthetics with no issues. Just your personal preference on that one.

If it has never been done before then you likely have the wire mesh type filter which probably does not need replaced. If you have a paper filter in there then I would regularly replace it. I have a 2001 with similar mileage and have not touched the filter. I did 3-4 drain and fills in a row over a couple of weeks and now I do it 2x a year. Mine looks like brand new fluid every time I change it.

And yes drain and fills are the easiest fluid change you will ever do. I wear gloves and don't get dirty at all. Takes less than 1/2 hour, don't even need to jack up the car.

I'm thinking about changing the ATF on my 2000 RX3000 myself for the first time. I have read this excellent DIY post (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/220061-photo-diy-rx300-awd-transmission-fluid-pan-filter-change.html) and think I can handle it. I have several questions before rolling up my sleeves though:

* What type of ATF should I get?

* My rx300 only has 65K miles on it although it's almost 10 years old. Do I need to replace the transmission fluid pan gasket and filter? If yes, where is the best place to get the parts?

Cheers,

Jim

Are you the original owner, i.e. do you know the maintenance trail the vehicle has had ? If so, and the fluid has never been changed, I would start with a full system flush from a dealer...then start doing 4 quart drains yourself at regular intervals, very meticulous would be every 15K miles, up to 30K would probably be OK. It just depends on your driving habits and heat. After the full flush, you can then drop the pan later on to do a 4qt drain, and you will be able to inspect the screen/filter...unless you instruct the people who do the flush to drop the pan as well, but it would add to the cost.

I just did a 4qt drain on my "99 RX300 (I'm not the original owner, but know the maintenance trail because it used to belong to my mother-in-law, well-maintained with T-IV fluid) and dropped the pan and changed the filter. I added 4qts of Mobil 1 Synthetic. I believe I have noticed slightly smoother shifting, and less tendency for the tranny to hesitate between the 1-2 shift point under very light acceleration, like slowly driving in a neiborhood looking at houses. I have no empirical proof of this, strictly "seat of the pants" feel. I also admit to being biased toward synthetics, and have been using them in all my vehicles since 1995.

BTW, the tranny filter was not easy to find. There are two types made for these trannys, fillters with a round pickup tube, and those that are square. Mine was the round one, and I finally found a Purolator one at Pep Boys. Hope this helps.

"I would start with a full system flush from a dealer"

Those things scare the crap out of me. As far as I know Lexus/Toyota have never endorsed using these machines and there is no accepted method or acepted machine. Drain and fill only for me.

Honda flat out says no flush machines period. http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A080100.PDF

Those things scare the crap out of me. As far as I know Lexus/Toyota have never endorsed using these machines and there is no accepted method or acepted machine. Drain and fill only for me.

Honda flat out says no flush machines period. http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A080100.PDF

Hi, Carguy...please notice I did not recommend that this person should take their car to the nearest "Jiffy Lube" type place and have it hooked up to one of those aftermarket flushing machines. I would assume any viable Toyota or Lexus place to use the proper procedure for ATF flushing. Also please notice in your Honda bulletin that the new procedure is still called "flushing", and involves putting the vehicle on a lift...a resource that I assumed the original poster does not have in his garage. :D

Those things scare the crap out of me. As far as I know Lexus/Toyota have never endorsed using these machines and there is no accepted method or accepted machine. Drain and fill only for me.

Hi, Carguy...please notice I did not recommend that this person should take their car to the nearest "Jiffy Lube" type place and have it hooked up to one of those aftermarket flushing machines. I would assume any viable Toyota or Lexus place to use the proper procedure for ATF flushing. Also please notice in your Honda bulletin that the new procedure is still called "flushing", and involves putting the vehicle on a lift...a resource that I assumed the original poster does not have in his garage. :D

What I am saying is that Toyota & Lexus dealers are using machines that Toyota & Lexus do not approve or recommend. Many of them are the same machines that you would find in a Jiffy Lube. This is one case where the dealer likely does not know best. If they do it's hit or miss since they are not consistent with regards to the manufacturer, usage of the machine or chemicals that they are adding.

Honda says no machines at all, a "flush" is a drain and fill. They are recommending that the dealers run the cars on the rack to circulate the fluid rather than drive them around.

Those things scare the crap out of me. As far as I know Lexus/Toyota have never endorsed using these machines and there is no accepted method or accepted machine. Drain and fill only for me.

What I am saying is that Toyota & Lexus dealers are using machines that Toyota & Lexus do not approve or recommend. Many of them are the same machines that you would find in a Jiffy Lube. This is one case where the dealer likely does not know best. If they do it's hit or miss since they are not consistent with regards to the manufacturer, usage of the machine or chemicals that they are adding.

Honda says no machines at all, a "flush" is a drain and fill. They are recommending that the dealers run the cars on the rack to circulate the fluid rather than drive them around.

That's simply not believable. I will check with my Lex dealer tomorrow to see how they flush transmissions.

You will have to call several dealers to get anything that resembles an answer. Some will tell you that they only drain and fill. Some will drain and fill and drop the pan and replace the filter. Some will swear there is no serviceable filter at all. Some will tell you they have an awesome machine that power flushes the system. Some have an awesome machine that does not power flush, just pumps new in as the old comes out. Some have a BG machine that they love. Some have a BG machine that they love, but you better throw the special additive in too to get the full effect.

As far as I have been able to determine, Lexus and Toyota are not recommending flushes at all and are not endorsing any aftermarket flush machines or additives. If they are then they better get the word out on what machine and how to do it, because the dealers out there are not doing anything consistently at all.

I'm sure each dealer you call will tell you that they are doing it correctly. It's when you get your 3rd or 4th different answer from different dealers that you realize that someone is fibbing.

There is a reason that Honda puts it in writing to their dealers to keep those F-N machines away from their cars.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! You guys are the best!

I bought my car pre-certified with ~40K miles on it from a dealership in 2004, which I assume they drained & filled the transmission as part of the pre-certification process???. Anyway, I only put 25K miles on it since I got it 5 years ago and have never changed the ATF. Based on the replies here, I will go and get ~4 qts Toyota T-IV ATF and do a drain&fill.

Cheers,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! You guys are the best!

I bought my car pre-certified with ~40K miles on it from a dealership in 2004, which I assume they drained & filled the transmission as part of the pre-certification process???. Anyway, I only put 25K miles on it since I got it 5 years ago and have never changed the ATF. Based on the replies here, I will go and get ~4 qts Toyota T-IV ATF and do a drain&fill.

Cheers,

Wise man! Listen to the NO-FLUSH people! Disregard the rest. Way too many failures very shortly after a "flush". I need to see things with my own eyes, therefore I believe in pulling the pan and cleaning it AND the magnets. Gives me a look at what things look like in there, even though I use the pump to completely change the fluid afterwards. Nothing wrong with just filling it afterwards and then doing a couple more pan plug drains in the next month to mostly change it the easy way.

• 1 month later...
Wise man! Listen to the NO-FLUSH people! Disregard the rest. Way too many failures very shortly after a "flush". I need to see things with my own eyes, therefore I believe in pulling the pan and cleaning it AND the magnets. Gives me a look at what things look like in there, even though I use the pump to completely change the fluid afterwards. Nothing wrong with just filling it afterwards and then doing a couple more pan plug drains in the next month to mostly change it the easy way.

This is a fascinating thread. If for no other reason than this:

I pulled the transmission dipstick on my wife's 2004 RX330 and clearly stamped into the stick is the phrase "No need to change the fluid".

Being the DIY type I am, I will no doubt climb under the car and see how much fun I can have dropping the transmission pan. I ain't scared.

Reading other threads, I seem to be gravitating towards code58's words of wisdom. Wife's car is hitting 85k on the clock and I was considering a timing belt change, since I just completed one on (potential future) son in law's '02 Xterra.

Many posts indicate I would be throwing good money away if I were to take on the RX330 timing belt replacement now.

However, her car is due for an engine oil change as is the big Dodge truck.

I am planning a road trip before Christmas in the Dodge, so the transmission work on the Lexus will wait until Jan.

But a trip through the transmission on the Lexus sounds like fun.

More later.

Chris