How To Remove Lower Center Dash Panel

Gibbie

I installed the Vaistech iPod adaptor this past weekend on my 2005 and thanks to Lexuslvr the install went without any problems.

Now I'd like to route the iPod cable to the center console between the seats. For a clean look, I'd like to fish the cable under the carpet from the bottom of the dashboard up into the center console. This requires removing the lower plastic panel under the shifter. I couldn't see any caps that would indicate a screw or other fastener so I'm assuming it just has clips. Given the location of the panel and the likely cost to replace it if I damage it, I'd rather get advice from someone that knows how this panel is removed. Thanks!

I installed the Vaistech iPod adaptor this past weekend on my 2005 and thanks to Lexuslvr the install went without any problems.

Now I'd like to route the iPod cable to the center console between the seats. For a clean look, I'd like to fish the cable under the carpet from the bottom of the dashboard up into the center console. This requires removing the lower plastic panel under the shifter. I couldn't see any caps that would indicate a screw or other fastener so I'm assuming it just has clips. Given the location of the panel and the likely cost to replace it if I damage it, I'd rather get advice from someone that knows how this panel is removed. Thanks!

Which unit did you purchase from Vaistech?

Where did you prurchase the unit from?

Do you have to choose which "emulation" mode you will be using?

I bought the unit directly from Vaistech as they have a 'group buy' going on until the end of October I believe.

I'm still trying to decide which emulation mode I want. 'Simple' mode allows me to control the iPod from the iPod itself (for example, choose the playlist) but doesn't display track information on the headunit whereas disabling 'Simple' mode allows me to choose the playlist as well as other functions from the headunit itself. Given the limited display capabilities of the 4th generation system (2005), I'm probably leaning towards using the 'Simple' mode to use the iPod itself to choose the playlist. I don't really need to see the track information from the headunit.

One item that is a little confusing right now is that the application guide from Vaistech shows the unit emulates a CD changer for the 2005 RX and I have followed the programming instructions to set the unit up as such. However, when I choose the mode on the headunit, it shows as MD. This would actually be preferable as the CD changer mode limits playlists to 99 entries while the MD mode allows up to 999. So I'm hoping I can use MD mode. I'll be reprogramming the unit this weekend to MD mode to see if that works.

I'll also attempt to route the iPod cable under the carpet and into the center console for a cleaner, more secure installation this weekend.

Here are the results of my tests setting the Vaistech up in CD versus MD mode. Remember that this is for a 2005 with navigation so if your vehicle has a different audio system, the results may be different.

MD mode (no variations between Simple mode enable or disabled other than local iPod control):

No song display on head unit.

No ability to change playlists from head unit.

No playlist display from head unit.

Does allow playlists that exceed 99 entries. According to the manual the limit in MD mode is 999.

Does allow local control (in Simple mode) from the iPod.

Does allow track change from the head unit.

CD mode - Simple mode disabled:

Full track display including song title and artist.

Playlist control with playlist title displayed.

Does not allow playlists that exceed 99 entries.

No local iPod control.

CD mode - Simple mode enabled:

No track display.

No playlist control.

Does not allow playlists that exceed 99 entries.

Allows local iPod control.

• 7 months later...

I too need to remove the lower plastic panel under the shifter on my '04 RX330. A socket and extension came off my wratchet and is down there in the bowels somewhere. Magnetic tool will not retrieve it. Did you ever get a reply with instructions on how to remove that panel without damaging it? Thanks in advance for any help.

• 6 months later...

PM me your email address and I will forward a document that contains the info you need.

Got the same issue with a screw that fell in. I could use some help on how to get this dash part off please....

I got the instructions. PM me and I'll send you a copy.

PM me your email address and I will forward a document that contains the info you need.

Got the same issue with a screw that fell in. I could use some help on how to get this dash part off please....

PM me and I'll forward the instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you please send me a copy to 99ocrx300 of gmail? I can't do PM yet.

Can you please send me a copy to 99ocrx300 of gmail? I can't do PM yet.

i hate to say me too but ... me too ;-)

if you can, send me a copy (thor at netcaffe dot net) or for not having other request, put on rapidshare and post a link here ;-)

TIA

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I have a similar problem, dropped one screw. please could you send the instructions to sanathsahabandu@gmail.com. Many Thanks.

• 3 years later...