Changing The Air Filter

riordamp

I have a 2008 es350 and I am trying to change the air filter. I don't do a lot of car maint but this has never been a big job for me with the other cars that I have owned. I opened three clips and although I can now see the filter I can't seem to get the housing open enough to get the filter out. I am sure it is something simple but in the mean time I don't want to force anything. I am not talking about the cabin air filter.

I replaced my engine air filter recently and had the same concerns. Just pry it open enough that the filter will come out; the three clips are all that need to be removed. It is a very tight squeeze, but it will come out. I thought I was going to brake something as well, but after checking with the dealer, it sure enough just came right out.

(My cabin filter was disgusting at 20k miles; the engine filter was dirty, but not nearly as bad.)

I have a 2008 es350 and I am trying to change the air filter. I don't do a lot of car maint but this has never been a big job for me with the other cars that I have owned. I opened three clips and although I can now see the filter I can't seem to get the housing open enough to get the filter out. I am sure it is something simple but in the mean time I don't want to force anything. I am not talking about the cabin air filter.

Thanks!! i am now going to plow ahead.

• 2 months later...

I do all the non-electronic work on my cars. The design of the engine air filter for a Lexus is as poor as that on my Chevy S-10. In fact the removal process on both is the same. There is no reason not to be able to design an air filter housing that has enough clearance to easily remove the air filter. I have found that by removing the rubber air connection between the air filter housing and the engine allows the filter to be removed more easily. The difficulty is then getting the rubber back around the filter housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too difficult to replace. 3 spring clips and it pops open. Note the back end of the plastic housing has tabs on the top half that lock into tabs on the bottom half and make a hinge. If they are not lined up correctly the top will not fit flush. Pay attention to that orientaion before you start.