Those Plastic Engine Covers

LeodLion

We bought a 2010 RX 350. This is the first time I have a car with those plastic engine covers. So I took them off to take a look at the engine compartment. Then I put it back. I noticed the small plastic tabs were tight before but after putting them back on, they were loose and some of the plastic cover were not in there tight.

So what are the purpose of this plastic engine compartment covers? I can think of noise reduction perhaps, protect from dust and dirt? Make the engine compartment neater? Reduce noise? Or is it a nuisance because it may create some rattle and you have to take them off and back on when you work/inspect the engine.

You have listed all the reasons plastic engine covers are used on many if not most cars these days.

Cars have become relatively low maintenance. The plastic engine covers on my LS have been removed only twice that I know about in 115,000 miles / 9 years -- at 90K to replace the timing belt and last Spring to replace the TPS and PPS. They will come off again at 120K for the first spark plug replacement.

What is it under the covers that you are going to need to frequently work on or inspect?

You have listed all the reasons plastic engine covers are used on many if not most cars these days.

Cars have become relatively low maintenance. The plastic engine covers on my LS have been removed only twice that I know about in 115,000 miles / 9 years -- at 90K to replace the timing belt and last Spring to replace the TPS and PPS. They will come off again at 120K for the first spark plug replacement.

What is it under the covers that you are going to need to frequently work on or inspect?

After the warranty period I will do most of the maintenance myself. I may install aftermarket stuff in the engine compartment. I want to look around and check things are okay.

• 9 years later...

Did the 2009 Lexus RX 350 have a three piece plastic engine cover?  I have the front shield that covers the top of radiator and the passenger side cover, but no driver side cover?  I could have sworn I had all 3 pieces because when I bought the car used, I wanted to check the battery and I couldn't because of the shield. After having the car serviced the driver's side was missing?  

• 4 months later...