Tpms

Are you sure it is one of the sensors, just because you TPMS warning light came on does not mean your sensors are bad?

1. The simple reason could be the pressure in your tires may have dropped and the sensors are doing their job.

You are in the NE of the country. We have experienced some cold weather recently. The air pressure in your tires will decrease 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in ambient temperature. Take a tire pressure gauge and go see what the actual pressure is in your tires. Then add air to the tires, say to about 32 psi all round. The TPMS light should go out.

2. You could reinitialize the TPMS system and see if that resets the light. In my 2006 owners manual, it is on page 444.

3. Did you check the tire set selector switch? This switch is under the passenger side dash, down below the glove compartment on the left side. If this switch was accidentally hit (can happen when you put bags and or a box on the passenger floor) it can be set to the wrong position. The system may be looking for a second set of sensors that are not there. (This too is covered in the manual).

Finally, the answer to your question is no, you do not have to buy the sensor at the Lexus stealership. The company that makes the sensor is Pacific Sensors. You can get them at TireRack.com for less price. However, you will have to have the new sensor mounted and then programmed into the car's ECU. This will run you some more money. Before you buy one, check the three items I outlined above.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

Friend of mine had tpms light come on and all 4 tires were fine. He took it in to the dealership and they figured out it was the 5th tpms sensor... on the spare tire. I think he has an LX. Do all spares have tpms on them?

Friend of mine had tpms light come on and all 4 tires were fine. He took it in to the dealership and they figured out it was the 5th tpms sensor... on the spare tire. I think he has an LX. Do all spares have tpms on them?

no, not all spare tires have TPMS sensors. For example, my GS has a compact spare with no TPMS sensor.

steviej