Took 2010 Rx 350 On 350 Mile Ride

LeodLion

We just got back from a 350 mile ride round trip with the new Lexus. We averaged about 20 or so mpg. I am sure the mpg will get better as the car gets broken in.

There are two things I noticed which is probably known by owners already: (1) You can not change your destination on the nav if the car is moving. (2) The Contact list on the phone is not activated. Okay perhaps the human engineering people at Lexus wants us not to tinker with those when driving the car for our own safety. The vocal command works but it has a hard time understanding my voice commands when the car is in motion. Its really really irritating. Perhaps somebody has figured out how to defeat this?

There is also a rattle when the car hits a bump on the road. It sounds like its coming from the top of the car. I checked for anything loose but can not find any. Anybody has a similar problem? I removed the cargo cover but that did not help.

I was pleasantly surprise when the wiper turn on by itself (auto rain detection) and started changing the frequency of the wipe depending on the intensity of the drizzle.

Overall I am satisfied with the performance of the Lexus. Its smooth, quiet and confortable ride.

We just got back from a 350 mile ride round trip with the new Lexus. We averaged about 20 or so mpg. I am sure the mpg will get better as the car gets broken in.

There are two things I noticed which is probably known by owners already: (1) You can not change your destination on the nav if the car is moving. (2) The Contact list on the phone is not activated. Okay perhaps the human engineering people at Lexus wants us not to tinker with those when driving the car for our own safety. The vocal command works but it has a hard time understanding my voice commands when the car is in motion. Its really really irritating. Perhaps somebody has figured out how to defeat this?

There is also a rattle when the car hits a bump on the road. It sounds like its coming from the top of the car. I checked for anything loose but can not find any. Anybody has a similar problem? I removed the cargo cover but that did not help.

I was pleasantly surprise when the wiper turn on by itself (auto rain detection) and started changing the frequency of the wipe depending on the intensity of the drizzle.

Overall I am satisfied with the performance of the Lexus. Its smooth, quiet and confortable ride.

You have just discovered what has irritated thousands of Lexus owners since 2007. The Nav system that only works right when the car stops. There is only one place that I know if that has figured out how to get around the lock out. Lexus will not help you with this.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/testimonial.html

As for you rattle on the roof, its actually coming from under the car. The car design makes it seem like the noise is from the roof rack, but it is not. This cause is also well documented, just ask your service advisor about it. 15 minutes at the dealership and the noise will stop.

Good luck!

You have just discovered what has irritated thousands of Lexus owners since 2007. The Nav system that only works right when the car stops. There is only one place that I know if that has figured out how to get around the lock out. Lexus will not help you with this.

Try 1998. Lexus nav systems have had control lockouts since the system was first introduced in 1998.

• 1 month later...

As for you rattle on the roof, its actually coming from under the car. The car design makes it seem like the noise is from the roof rack, but it is not. This cause is also well documented, just ask your service advisor about it. 15 minutes at the dealership and the noise will stop.

Good luck!

Could you elaborate on the rattling noise? I have a rattle when I go over bumps, but it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side somewhere (almost like the rear passenger side). I removed the tonneau cover completely to no avail. It's driving me crazy! Thanks

Good luck!

Could you elaborate on the rattling noise? I have a rattle when I go over bumps, but it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side somewhere (almost like the rear passenger side). I removed the tonneau cover completely to no avail. It's driving me crazy! Thanks

Try securing the clips that hold the luggage cover near the rear door. Lock them into place. It is a well known issue and the dealer even mentioned it when I bought my RX.

Good luck!

Try securing the clips that hold the luggage cover near the rear door. Lock them into place. It is a well known issue and the dealer even mentioned it when I bought my RX.

Thanks....I'll give that a try before I take it in. Very annoying since what I love about the RX's is the quietness!

go99 said it's coming from "under the car," which is NOT the luggage cover.

I've tried everything to secure the two luggage covers (the one clips to the rear door, and the one that retracts and runs across the whole back). When I go over a bump, it still rattles and drives me insane. I don't like the look of the rear without these pieces, so I have to choose between aesthetics or no rattling. Disappointing....

The suspension in this thing is also more "truck-like" than I expected, so that doesn't help with the noises.

I'm curious to see what "well documented noise under the car" go99 is referring to?????

Good luck!

Thanks....I'll give that a try before I take it in. Very annoying since what I love about the RX's is the quietness!

It is very difficult to diagnose where a noise originates in a moving vehicle. Do a search of this site using "noise" and you will soon agree.

I agree that trying to identify a noise is very difficult. I tried looking at the clips, but I think you are referring to the actual clips on the cover--I removed mine. I've never found that cover useful in the 2 RX's I've owned. One of the annoying things on the 2010 is that there is no storage under the cargo area for it--so it's in my basement until resale time.

Looks like I'll have to bring this up with the dealer. In my experience, talking to a dealer about rattles usually doesn't get you anywhere...

go99 said it's coming from "under the car," which is NOT the luggage cover.

I've tried everything to secure the two luggage covers (the one clips to the rear door, and the one that retracts and runs across the whole back). When I go over a bump, it still rattles and drives me insane. I don't like the look of the rear without these pieces, so I have to choose between aesthetics or no rattling. Disappointing....

The suspension in this thing is also more "truck-like" than I expected, so that doesn't help with the noises.

I'm curious to see what "well documented noise under the car" go99 is referring to?????

I removed both- the one by the rear door and the one that retracts. The noise went away!!! If you don't want to remove it, try this: you need to put a small rubber bumper by the clip. Somebody else did this successfully. Go to your hardware store and find the right size and thickness rubber grommet or rubber washer. I believe the noise is when the metallic click fastener vibrates. Good luck.

I also have a rattle coming from the front passenger seat by the side. It turns out that the seat belt buckle is hitting something in there producing an annoying noise. Make sure the belt is straight and the buckle is not hitting on anything.

It is very difficult to diagnose where a noise originates in a moving vehicle. Do a search of this site using "noise" and you will soon agree.

I agree that trying to identify a noise is very difficult. I tried looking at the clips, but I think you are referring to the actual clips on the cover--I removed mine. I've never found that cover useful in the 2 RX's I've owned. One of the annoying things on the 2010 is that there is no storage under the cargo area for it--so it's in my basement until resale time.

Looks like I'll have to bring this up with the dealer. In my experience, talking to a dealer about rattles usually doesn't get you anywhere...

could you elaborate on what 'clip by the rear door' you are referring to? I'm not aware of any clips other than the ones that hold the cargo tonneau cover? Thanks...

could you elaborate on what 'clip by the rear door' you are referring to? I'm not aware of any clips other than the ones that hold the cargo tonneau cover? Thanks...

Here is a picture of the cargo cover holder. Its shown upside down. There are four clips that attaches it to the rear door. I found three of mine was loose producing a rattle specially when I hit a bump on the road.

post-103181-1259899707_thumb.jpg

post-103181-1259899863_thumb.jpg

I think I got it. when referring to the rear door, you are referring to the rear hatch, not the rear passenger doors, correct? Thanks for the pics. I gave completely removed my cover from the car as it just gets in the way for us....

I think I got it. when referring to the rear door, you are referring to the rear hatch, not the rear passenger doors, correct? Thanks for the pics. I gave completely removed my cover from the car as it just gets in the way for us....

You got it.

• 3 weeks later...

You got it.

The rattle that is caused by the 2 cover release tabs on the trunk lid is totally fixable. Just have the dealer replace the 2 side rails (where the cover rides) and the 2 tabs that are clipped into the trunk lid (that ride against the release tabs) with the 2009 pieces. All 4 need to be the '09 parts, don't let them mix them with '07 or '08 parts. Mine was done this way last year (under warranty) and had not rattled since.

-Ken

• 1 month later...