Key Removal In Accessory Position

kujayhawk

I have a 1999 RX300. This incident has happened twice. Once two years ago when a friend was driving and pulled the ignition key while the car was in ACC mode. Called the Lexus help line (no help since warranty was expired) then dealership. Salesperson extremely helpful and after jiggling another ignition key (not the one I always use), the ignition turned.

Last night after attending a college basketball game...same thing except I did it for what ever reason. Could have been the fact that we had a huge win for my alma mater...but no amount of jiggling would get the key to turn. I did the override and put the car in neutral but no success. Had to have the car towed to dealership which has not called with fix.

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, what should I expect from dealer...repair cost, explanation, etc.

I just don't think a person should be able to put the key out while in that position if they can't reinsert it to start (probaby anti-theft protection???)

I have a 1999 RX300. This incident has happened twice. Once two years ago when a friend was driving and pulled the ignition key while the car was in ACC mode. Called the Lexus help line (no help since warranty was expired) then dealership. Salesperson extremely helpful and after jiggling another ignition key (not the one I always use), the ignition turned.

Last night after attending a college basketball game...same thing except I did it for what ever reason. Could have been the fact that we had a huge win for my alma mater...but no amount of jiggling would get the key to turn. I did the override and put the car in neutral but no success. Had to have the car towed to dealership which has not called with fix.

Has anyone else had this experience and if so, what should I expect from dealer...repair cost, explanation, etc.

I just don't think a person should be able to put the key out while in that position if they can't reinsert it to start (probaby anti-theft protection???)

I had the exact same problem in my 2000 RX. It started way back and the key was easy to slide in and out even though the engine was still running. Car was running fine so I decided to wait further down the road (near end of warranty to resolve this issue). Well guess what, the problem beat me to it as I was stuck in a parking lot with the key in the accessory position and the key would not move beyond such position, hence the engine would not start. Had to have it towed to dealer and they had ALLO the locks and keys replaced. Fortunately all under warranty.