Noise On Cold Start

Wil_Atl

My wife's 2000 RX 300 recently began making a rattling noise when started first thing in the morning. The noise dies away after the car warms up.

The car has 179K but the replacement engine allegedly has about 60K on it. Enging was replaced about a year ago.

A close listen shows the noise seems to come from a part located on the battery/air box side of the engine (right side if you're facing the the front of the car). There is a starter-like component attached to the engine that is located just below and to the left of the battery and airbox.

What is that part? I'm gessing it be somethong to do with the VVT system. Is a rattling noise on cold start coming from that area something to worry about?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all. I am the proud owner of a '99 RX300 and I live and work in the Northeast. Since the belated oncoming cold weather I have a problem with a cold start in the morning only. The car does not turn over, that is the starter does not engage but I hear a grinding or electrical discharge like noise. Then when I turn off the ignition and try again, it turns over. I have tried turning the ignition to on, then off, then start, but the same problem arises. I have a fairly new starter installed by my brother in-law one year ago. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hello to all. I am the proud owner of a '99 RX300 and I live and work in the Northeast. Since the belated oncoming cold weather I have a problem with a cold start in the morning only. The car does not turn over, that is the starter does not engage but I hear a grinding or electrical discharge like noise. Then when I turn off the ignition and try again, it turns over. I have tried turning the ignition to on, then off, then start, but the same problem arises. I have a fairly new starter installed by my brother in-law one year ago. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Many of the remanufactured starters are junk and you are lucky if they last a year. Do you know what starter your BIL installed?

Many of the remanufactured starters are junk and you are lucky if they last a year. Do you know what starter your BIL installed?

Art- that's the reason I believe in rebuilding them myself. Don't have that "short life with rebuilt parts " problem. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hey artbuc and code58, I had the starter replaced this past weekend, but with another rebuilt. I could not wait for pricing for a new one and if that one went bad, I would have to chase that supplier not my mechanic. I'm getting one year warranty from my mechanic and a local rebuilder. Judging from my BIL cost the previous one was rebuilt. When my mechanic had the old one out to show me, neither of us could find the manufacturer. Thanks for your comments.