2010 Rx350 Pet Peeves

down2sea

Being a three month owner of the 2010 (bought it for my wife) the following are areas we find have room for improvement:

1. No integrated brake controller although we paid for a "towing package" upgrade. I've discussed this on another thread
  2. Flat 4 pin trailer towing electrical connector. No provision for standard 7 blade RV style connector. I've discussed this on another thread
  3. Location of 12V "Power Ports" and USB/AUX input in bottom of center console hidden under difficult to remove box and tray
  4. No external 12V Power Ports except the one in rear cargo area
  5. Box and tray in center console renders entire space practically useless
  6. Goofy void space in center console between driver and passenger legs- What the heck were "they" thinking?
  7. "Glove" box rendered almost useless due sectional interior design to hold 10 pound instruction manual - very little room left for anything else
  8. Where to store "extra" CDs or Jewel cases? See above
  9. Trip odometer very difficult to find intuitively
  10. No "ash" tray or other place to put gum, gum wrappers, etc

Mostly small issues I realize, but in my opinion each could be corrected or improved during next "re-design." Love the vehicle otherwise

Being a three month owner of the 2010 (bought it for my wife) the following are areas we find have room for improvement:

1. No integrated brake controller although we paid for a "towing package" upgrade. I've discussed this on another thread
  2. Flat 4 pin trailer towing electrical connector. No provision for standard 7 blade RV style connector. I've discussed this on another thread
  3. Location of 12V "Power Ports" and USB/AUX input in bottom of center console hidden under difficult to remove box and tray
  4. No external 12V Power Ports except the one in rear cargo area
  5. Box and tray in center console renders entire space practically useless
  6. Goofy void space in center console between driver and passenger legs- What the heck were "they" thinking?
  7. "Glove" box rendered almost useless due sectional interior design to hold 10 pound instruction manual - very little room left for anything else
  8. Where to store "extra" CDs or Jewel cases? See above
  9. Trip odometer very difficult to find intuitively
  10. No "ash" tray or other place to put gum, gum wrappers, etc

Mostly small issues I realize, but in my opinion each could be corrected or improved during next "re-design." Love the vehicle otherwise

You got it... entirely trivial issues, and those that most owners wouldn't even notice.. :rolleyes:

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with towing equipment but we never use it in 10 years. We also have a 12 volt source in the trunk but again never use it.

I agree on the 'goofy' space below the center console. My wife asked me what it is for. I said I dont know.

I find the unoperable nav while in motion a bad decision by Lexus.

5.Box and tray in center console renders entire space practically useless

6.Goofy void space in center console between driver and passenger legs- What the heck were "they" thinking

On my 2008, the center console moves back and forth to allow for rear passanger leg room....are we talking about the same thing?

First of all don't get me wrong. I still like my 2010 RX 350. I think its better made than my previous BMW. Having said that there is another one I find surprising.

I removed all of the engine plastic cover to look at the engine. Those small plastic clips that is suppose to hold them in place does not. It was tight at first but after removing and putting them back on, most of them are kind of loose. They do not really hold the plastic tight. Well time to go to my local hardware store and look for a better replacement. Hmmm.

I know why the center console area is there, i think i get it.

The space between the driver and passenger of cars vs SUV's has been occupied differently since... forever.

In the 99-03 Rx300, there's the console that's about 3" lower than the height of the seats, giving some space between it and the shifter panel.

Again, the 04-09 Rx330/350/400h has a similar concept, with a small console only coming up to the height of the seats, with that space between it and the shifter panel.

But take a look at a sedan. The space between the driver and passenger is occupied differently. The console is raised to a height "above" the hight of the seat, with an armrest built in- whereas the 99-09 Rx's had armrests attached to the lumbar part of the seats. And the center console is connected to the shifter panel.

I think the Lexus engineers were trying to incorporate this "sedan" feel into the 010 Rx350.

Take a look at competing SUV's such as the Infiniti FX, EX, Acura RDX, MDX, Lincoln MKX, Mercedes ML etc... they all incorporate this higher console that connects to the shifter panel. No space between the console and the shifter panel like what's found in the earlier 99-09 RX's... Come to think of it, i can't think of any other luxury SUV besides Lexus' that has that space there.

I bet people in the other luxury SUV forums would complain about the same thing having come from an Rx300 or early Rx330/350. I admit myself i love that space there, it's great for putting fast food when bringing it home, and i know women put their bags there... but esthetically i think having the console connected looks better, it's just less versatile.

If the 010 Rx didn't have that 5" x 8" cutout in the center console, no one would question why it was there in the first place, or ask, "why didn't they just leave the console out"... one should really think of it as, "it's better than nothing". <_<

My opinion is that Lexus should stand above the rest of the car makers and make an exception.

The trend is moving towards the lockout, not away from it. Anyways in this current market where Toyota is under fire about these floormat fiascos they're not going to take on the additional liability of removing the lockout.

I've said it on here before, I've had my car for 6 years now and use the nav literally every day and the lockout doesn't bother me one bit. Just plan ahead a little, put in your destination before you set out. Our Prius has the backdoor workaround for the nav and we literally have never used it because we're used to typing in the destination before we set out and its just not neccisary to use it when we're moving.

good thread. i don't feel that these issues are trivial at all, why settle.

not having an outlet on the dash is really dumb imo. WTF?

to add to the list:

- locking out people from the NAV functions while the vehicle is moving. BMW doesn't lock anyone out. At a minimum, they should allow the user to disable this feature. the grooves under the console where you're suppose to store umbrellas and water bottles will probably more of a threat.

- the wide opening under the front bumper which can potentially allow something to damage the radiator (there's long thread on this)

- not having a wallet key

- not having an option to decline the NAV and still keep the other features (dealers only sell predefined packages, it's not like a Porsche where you can pick and choose)

other than that, so far it's a a much improved vehicle over my 2001 RX300

I removed all of the engine plastic cover to look at the engine. Those small plastic clips that is suppose to hold them in place does not. It was tight at first but after removing and putting them back on, most of them are kind of loose. They do not really hold the plastic tight. Well time to go to my local hardware store and look for a better replacement. Hmmm.

Okay I have to correct myself. I was not putting the plastic clip back on correctly thats why its loose.

To put the clip back, first you have to pull the center part of the clip out. I do this by hitting the top outer side of the clip with a plier gently to pull the center part. What happen is that by doing so the end part of the plastic clip spreads out a bit. Now insert the clip into the hole and push the center gently. It has two locking position. Lock it on the first. The second locking position is when you want to take it out, you push the center part and the clip will pop out or get loose so you can take it out easily.

So no problem with the plastic clips.

- locking out people from the NAV functions while the vehicle is moving. BMW doesn't lock anyone out. At a minimum, they should allow the user to disable this feature. the grooves under the console where you're suppose to store umbrellas and water bottles will probably more of a threat.

Some people smoke crack too, so why shouldn't everyone?

Its an individual decision each carmaker makes alongside their corporate attorneys. BMW is obviously less risk averse than Toyota, but they are in the minority. Most carmakers lock out the nav functions when moving.

Complain all you want about that one, its not going to change.

Some people smoke crack too, so why shouldn't everyone?

Its an individual decision each carmaker makes alongside their corporate attorneys. BMW is obviously less risk averse than Toyota, but they are in the minority. Most carmakers lock out the nav functions when moving.

Complain all you want about that one, its not going to change.

For $299 you can buy something to give it to you. However I will wait and see how irritatiing or serious this is before I buy it.

not everyone smokes crack?

well, it's just an opinion and you never know, it can change in the future.

Pigs might learn to fly too. My point was just because some manufacturers allow it doesn't mean that all manufacturers are willing to take the risk...or that its a good idea. Most manufacturers lock out nav functions when moving.

All kidding aside...its just not going to change. I've been around this company for a long time and I know how they do business. You will never see a Toyota nav system with unlocked controls when moving.

One day the voice recognition technology will be there...but until then you're going to have to suffer through it.

• 2 weeks later...

Would someone with a RX be pulling something that large to need all those accessories. I have put some items in the

tray under the console. Better than having nothing there, make some use of it. Only question have so far, is when hit

cruise the distance to empty goes off, and have had the memory seat, go to a different location when started back up

Would someone with a RX be pulling something that large to need all those accessories. I have put some items in the

tray under the console. Better than having nothing there, make some use of it. Only question have so far, is when hit

cruise the distance to empty goes off, and have had the memory seat, go to a different location when started back up

I'm speaking of towing something well within the rated capacity of the vehicle if your comment applies to the initiating post. The only added accessory I mentioned is a brake controller with a 7 blade connector--if you purchase a "towing package." This has been discussed ad-nauseam on another thread.

After reading replies and comments perhaps the "void" space under the console could be better utilized if Toyota configured it with flip out hinged side "pockets" like the ones in the doors. I would then have a place to stash my trash.

I too experience the performance calculator (distance to empty, whatever) seemingly having a mind of it's own at times.

We did have the Lexus dealer program each fob to our preferred settings, i.e. when my wife opens the door the seat, steering, and outside mirror goes to her preference, when I open the door things revert to mine. Could it be that you are either using different fobs or having both in close proximity at the same time?

One additional item came to mind the other day while on a toll road. I left my EZ-Pass at home and needed change for a toll. Yes, I know that there is a small tray next to the shift lever that I could throw extra coins in; but one of those spring loaded coin holders for nickels, dimes, and quarters would be nice.

One additional item came to mind the other day while on a toll road. I left my EZ-Pass at home and needed change for a toll. Yes, I know that there is a small tray next to the shift lever that I could throw extra coins in; but one of those spring loaded coin holders for nickels, dimes, and quarters would be nice.

I haven't seen one of those in a car in over a decade...

My 2005 BMW and 2009 RX350 have one each..... which came with the car(s).....

My 2005 BMW and 2009 RX350 have one each..... which came with the car(s).....

my 2007 rx 350 has one,

If you read the manual, you will see that the space between the driver and passenger, that big spacious console space is used to store that 10lb. manual. Take out the box and it slides away tucked under everything.

I thought the 10 lb owner's manual went in the glove box, which is where mine is..

I have an issue and maybe its just me, I posted in the other thread about bluetooth, I dont have NAV and I dont understand why I cant have it not auto-play when it connects ? and another major issue is driving, I feel like I feel every single bump in the road, I had a 2004 RX330 and it drove like a luxury car this feels like a TRUCK, on the highway it seems to be smooth, but on a regular road and on speed bumps I can feel it going thru me...... Anyone else ? Is it just my RX ?

My '06 F250 has it. Pretty handy actually.

If you read the manual, you will see that the space between the driver and passenger, that big spacious console space is used to store that 10lb. manual. Take out the box and it slides away tucked under everything.

Cool! Actually, the "factory" stored mine in the custom tailored "glove" box. I guess I could store it in the bottom of the big spacious console but would then have take out the sliding tray, box, and the 10 lb manual in order to utilize the aux port, USB input, and power points. Gosh, if I had read the manual I would have been able to find the center console space. Thanks for the tip!