Power Antenna Just Starting To Cause Problems

90LS400Lexus

The last day I drove my LS400- which was a few days ago, I noticed that the power antenna motor was running, but the antenna was not retracting back down into the quarter panel. My old 93 Camry had the same problem and even after the replacement of the antenna, with the little gears, it still did not work properly.

If I press down a little on the antenna, while the motor is running- it will go ahead and "catch" and go down. Does this sound like the antenna mast is finally going bad? Will oiling or greasing it help it until I can get it fixed. It is not a big deal, but I would still like for it to retract, without my having to help it down. It already has some grease on it. Changing the mast on my 93 Camry LE was fairly easy, so hopefully this one will be easy to replace as well. Has anyone ever changed one of these out? Thanks in advance.

Also, before this- I noticed that when I would switch stations- that the antenna would move a little, as if it were trying to get a better reception. Is this a feature on these cars? I have not read my owners manuals that closely yet. Thanks again.

Antenna mask has a long flexible nylon tail with cogs that are used by the gear drive to retract and extend. Apparently some of the cogs are so worn down that the motor gear doesn't always catch. There radio sets the antenna to different heights for different freqencies.

When this happened on my 90 LS about a year ago at about 175K, it turned out that the gears in the motor were worn out - it wasn't just a mast problem. I was a little stunned at how much the whole antenna/motor assembly and labor cost - I think it was around $400. Years ago a previous antenna problem was fixed by replacing only the mast which was fairly inexpensive. I remember my neighbor thought I was a little crazy to pay this much to get this fixed - his 90 LS400's antenna hadn't worked in years.

• 3 months later...
Gallery photo #219 may help on the removal and installation of new antenna; old one just ejects and new one refeeds if you push the correct buttons.

I'd like to see those photo(s) as my motor runs, but the mast doesn't move.

I can't find "Gallery photo #219." Can you help?

I've looked through all the Gallery photos for the Lexus LS Series.

I'm particulary interested in the ability to change the mast without much disassembly, which sounds possibly by using the eject and refeed button combos.

My LS antenna was acting up, so I bought a new one on Ebay for $20 plus $5 shipping. I unscrewed the old antenna, put the new one in place, started the radio-and Bingo-problem solved. I'd try this method before messing with the motor-unless you're sure it's the motor.

I'm new to this board, and the internet in general, so hopefully i can find this again, but LS90Lexus, what did you end up doing...

THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

You guys are really helpful, but not quite exact enough... The same thing, Ihear the whirring but no movement unless I push it. Just in the down direction. It moves up just fine.

I think it might be the gears on the mast (?), so i want to replace it. Any ideas or help? And is it pretty easy. I can work my way around stuff, but don't want to have to take off the panneling or whatever. Are there any walkthroughs or should I go to the dealership and ask them...?. I really don't want to pay much if I can help it.

Thanks a ton eveyone in advance....

Hi mark...

Just this week I have found that you can actually order the antenna mast from Autozone. It is the option I will take as my antenna grinds as it goes up.

They quote me a price of 24 bucks plus tax of course. If it is in not in stock then it will usually take maybe two days to get it -- better than Ebay, I think.

The antenna mast from AutoZone will (probably) not work.

I tried that method and the one indicated in their database for my '92 did not fit. I ended up taking it back and doing the eBay thing.

Even if the one from AutoZone had fit, it sure didn't look original, whereas the one from eBay absolutely looks original.

Joe

I got the E-Bay antenna kit and followed the instructions as well. I had to remove the motor as the old mast had broken off inside and I had to remove the old one first. In the end, it worked great and looks factory. Do a search of the LOC here and you will find many who have done this, attached pictures, etc. Be sure to grease it well before installing then use some lubricant on the antenna itself as it retracts and wipe away any excess. Should be fine. :D