1998 Ls 400 Timing Belt

Michael Geraci

I have a 97 and just changed it last year at 110K last year. I got the old belt. It is in perfect condition. I just see a local mechanic that I have used for years. He told me that the Lexus belt is very big and beefy. It is. He has changed them on cars with the orig at 150k and they were fine. He alos said that this motor would not be damaged it the belt did break. I might add it to the list of things to do at some point, but I would not worry about it. Just shop long for the best deal to change it. I did not change mine, but it does not look hard, it just needs to be done by someone you trust.

I have a 97 and just changed it last year at 110K last year. I got the old belt. It is in perfect condition. I just see a local mechanic that I have used for years. He told me that the Lexus belt is very big and beefy. It is. He has changed them on cars with the orig at 150k and they were fine. He alos said that this motor would not be damaged it the belt did break. I might add it to the list of things to do at some point, but I would not worry about it. Just shop long for the best deal to change it. I did not change mine, but it does not look hard, it just needs to be done by someone you trust.

I believe the non-interference engine was only the mkI & II not the mkIII ('95-'97)

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the non-interference engine was only the mkI & II not the mkIII ('95-'97)

I have a 1998 MkIV also and would love to know the answer. I think the MKIV is an interference engine and my maintenance book says 60Kmls but there is no mention of time. The car is now at 90K mls and the belt was done (by Lexus) at 64Kmls (in 2004) The Lexus dealer tells me that it should be done again at the 100K mls service because it's been 5 years already. Opinion on the UK LOC is split with someone who has a letter from a Lexus dealer stating it should be done at 100K mls (and no mention of time) and others with different views.

My understanding is that the Vvti engines are all interference, and that the change interval is 98k miles or 156k kilometres, or seven years, whichever is first. I did my GS at 105k kilometres and eight years, and the belt needed changing - the teeth were printing through to the flat side, not a good sign.

Who cares if an engine is vvt or not ... do the proper tb service on time and leave the guessing and headaches to the yokels.:chairshot: The satisfaction of squeezing a few extra miles out of a belt disappears quickly when you're looking at bent valve stems and punctured pistons or at the least becoming a Nowhere Man needing a tow.

You can read up some other posts on belts and interference:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mode=linearplus

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=357332

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=340772

Who cares if an engine is vvt or not ... do the proper tb service on time and leave the guessing and headaches to the yokels.:chairshot: The satisfaction of squeezing a few extra miles out of a belt disappears quickly when you're looking at bent valve stems and punctured pistons or at the least becoming a Nowhere Man needing a tow.

You can read up some other posts on belts and interference:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mode=linearplus

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=357332

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=340772

Agree with you entirely but I am trying to establish exactly what/when "proper tb service on time" is. On mine the tb was replaced (by Lexus) at 64K mls (in 2004), the car is now at 90K mls and the dealer is telling me that it should be replaced at the 100K mls service whereas the maintenance book says every 60K which would suggest 120K not 100K! The maintenance book makes no mention of time. Some confusion then, and, of course, the Lexus price here, in the U.K., just for changing the tb converts into U.S.$821! Naturally the engine would be just a tad more...

Its every 90k miles. Sounds like your dealer is trying to makeup for a revenue shortfall. You should be good to 154k miles. Change sooner if you have to repair water pump before then, otherwise defer the cost.

There is a lot of discussion about TB replacement on this site. Passionate views about whether to do on mileage or elapsed time and perils of stretching time/mileage too far. What is strange to me is there aren’t many (I can’t think of one) posts about people who actually had a broken TB. You’d think just an occasional random failure or two would creep into the discussion here. I've never seen a post about someone who blew the TB and the valves and piston heads we destroyed. I would have expected a few horror stories yet I've heard none. That seems to imply the Toyota engineers have done their usual over design to add a healthy safety margin on the 90k mile change interval. The fact seem to be at odds with the service recommendations to pull it forward and do it early. The little cynical voice in my head says that is more anchored in service revenue appetite than based on real world failure data.

What is strange to me is there aren’t many (I can’t think of one) posts about people who actually had a broken TB. You’d think just an occasional random failure or two would creep into the discussion here.

You apparently have not read my past posts about how a water pump on my prevous LS seized at about 75,000 miles and caused the timing belt to shed. It was a gen 1 LS400 so no damage was done. That experience has caused me to be more concerned about the water pump and timing belt on my 2000 LS400 with vvti. If I still own the car in two years, I'll have the timing belt on my 2000 LS400 replaced a second time.

I've discussed this issue with Lexus mechanics and repair shop owners who I got to know pretty well over my nearly 20 years of driving Lexus LS cars. Mine was not the only broken LS timing belt they had seen.

I would have expected a few horror stories yet I've heard none.

I've never seen anyone jump off a bridge either! Does that mean it doesn't happen? Why are they retrofitting every major bridge with barriers? Decorations I guess.

You apparently have not read my past posts about how a water pump on my prevous LS seized at about 75,000 miles and caused the timing belt to shed. It was a gen 1 LS400 so no damage was done.

... exactly ... which is why I said:

... do the proper tb service on time ...

... "proper" meaning replacing all the ancillary parts w the TB! Keep in mind, that in discussing the finer points of whether an engine is vvt/interference or not, belts not showing signs of wear, bulletproof heavy duty big and beefy (love that description) Lexus parts, etc., one enters the "Kramer Syndrome" from whence there is no returning! A void is a void is a void!

Well of course you both missed my point. I wasn't advocating ignoring the mfg change interval. The OP was referring to a scenario where he changed the belt early due to an advisors recommendation and was being asked to do it again prematurely. I wouldn’t consider that advise worth one cent.

My point was despite the numerous posts about timing belts I had seen zero about an actual broken one. Since being corrected by 1990LS400 I was corrected to a single case (his failure derived from a seized water pump) so this timing belt failure epidemic is a case of one with millions of Lexus and Toyota vehicles on the road. The disparity is that with all the debating about when and how to change the simple startling fact is very few seem to actually break. This risk of a snapping TB and the major damage it puts on an interference based engine is what drives the TB hysteria. Data is data and facts don’t lie. I intend to change my TB on time but I wouldn’t do one day earlier than required.

Well of course you both missed my point. I wasn't advocating ignoring the mfg change interval. The OP was referring to a scenario where he changed the belt early due to an advisors recommendation and was being asked to do it again prematurely. I wouldn’t consider that advise worth one cent.

If I understand the OP's original post, his timing belt is 11 years old - 5 years beyond the recommended 6 year change interval. If that is the case, the service advisor was giving him the correct recommendation.

The only timing belt failures on Lexus cars that I have personal knowledge of have not been from belts breaking from fatigue. The failures have been from failure of ancillary parts -- the water pump in my case. That's why, as EUBT said, it is important to replace the ancillary parts.

I'm not saying that you can't stretch the change interval -- it's not an exact science. I waited an extra year on my 00 LS and had its original timing belt changed the day before the car's "7th anniversary" (from its 31 July 2000 "in-service date") and a little before it reached 90,000 miles. The old timing belt looked to be in great shape but it was the least of my concerns. I was more concerned about the replacement of the water pump, idler and tensioner.

Its every 90k miles. Sounds like your dealer is trying to makeup for a revenue shortfall. You should be good to 154k miles. Change sooner if you have to repair water pump before then, otherwise defer the cost.

There is a lot of discussion about TB replacement on this site. Passionate views about whether to do on mileage or elapsed time and perils of stretching time/mileage too far. What is strange to me is there aren’t many (I can’t think of one) posts about people who actually had a broken TB. You’d think just an occasional random failure or two would creep into the discussion here. I've never seen a post about someone who blew the TB and the valves and piston heads we destroyed. I would have expected a few horror stories yet I've heard none. That seems to imply the Toyota engineers have done their usual over design to add a healthy safety margin on the 90k mile change interval. The fact seem to be at odds with the service recommendations to pull it forward and do it early. The little cynical voice in my head says that is more anchored in service revenue appetite than based on real world failure data.

HORROR STORY! I bought my old 94 model with a busted belt, at 230k miles. seller thought engine was ruined, we replaced the belt/pump, and it ran like a champ. sold it at 248. still know the owner, bought it and drove it himself, then gave it to his mother and it is still going.. I just wish my 97's had the same engine... non interference.

I would like to know also, . just what would happen????

.cheers

It is interesting to note that the new LS460 gets a timing chain while the SC retains a timing belt.

The SC belt is still a 90k mile replacement BUT the time period has been increased to 108 months(9 years).

Better belt or change in recommendation based on re-evaluation and historical data?