Need A Kick-start In The Morning?

ArmyofOne

Just screw up your car first thing in the morning. This works wonders, I was wired (*BLEEP*ED) all day...

545 am-Wake up

600 am-Walk into garage and get in car.

601 am-Start car.

602 am-Push button on garage door opener.

602.5 AM, put car in Reverse, and proceed to back up...*CRUNCH!!!!*

pull forward, Get out of car, discover that the garage door opened only halfway and stopped.

Damage done to car, $380...paintjob is no longer new. Deductible was $250, but rather than claim, I just paid.

Lessons Learned...Priceless.

what do you want to bet, from now on, I not only back into the garage, but use the button by the entrance door from the house to open the big door before I pull out.

That reminds me of when I was like 10 yrs old my dad had the trunk door open on his van and I by force of habbit hit the garage door opener and it came down on the trunk door. It didn't do any damage to the car but it burned out the garage door opener motor.

What a bummer... One of my pet peaves is to make sure the garage door is open before I even get in the car. And after arriving home I always make sure the car is all the way in the garage before I close the door. I never open/close the door from inside the car.

LOL!! Whatcha ya gonna do? Right? S*** happens. Atleast it wasn't a whole new garage door and the entire top of the car!

I always open the door before I even get in the car for that reason alone.

Now here is one that I bet most of you did not know. As far as insurance. At least the 4 or 5 claims that I have had in this situation.

If you had taken down the whole garage door, and had done major damage to your car and you filed claims on your policy. You would have to pay both deductibles one on the car insurance to get the car fixed, and one on the homeowners policy to fix the garage...assuming that you owned the home. I have had this happen more than once and it always gets everyone mad. Not an easy thing to explain but you cant be liable to yourself so that is why the home owners insurance would come in to fix you home not your auto. I had a lady that did some major damage to her car so she filed the claim and she paid the deductible for it and assumed that the car insurance was going to pay for the damage to the garage too. Of course if I had talked to her before she filed the claim I could have advised her but she filed the claim first...that is one reason that it is always a good idea to call your agent before filing any claims.

i dont own the home. i have renters insurance, but its owned and maintained by the Army. As such, the army pays for the door. The door was undamaged anyway.

army post was in general not towards you.

i dont own the home. i have renters insurance, but its owned and maintained by the Army. As such, the army pays for the door. The door was undamaged anyway.

army post was in general not towards you.

Ah, well its good info anyway. LOL.

The housing people came and looked at it. they said "as long as it still works, doesnt matter what it looks like (within reason)."

Atleast you didn't continue backing out anyway! Like my Aunt Ruthie! <_< A couple years ago on the right side of the garage an old bicycle had fallen over with the car in the garage. She didn't see it when she got in and started to back out of the garage. She said she kept hearing a grinding, scraping sound, but because she couldn't see anything she kept backing out. LOL! that bike mangled the entire side of the car as it got wedged between the garage door opening and the pulling force of the car backing out. Explain that one to the insurance guys!

Oh dude that sucks. Got to get a good chuckle out of it! Every time I pull my new car IN to the garage I am so nervous about closing the door.. HOPING I am pulled in far enough so the door doesn't close on me LOL

:cheers: Here's a beer for your sorrows B) lol

Atleast you didn't continue backing out anyway! Like my Aunt Ruthie! <_< A couple years ago on the right side of the garage an old bicycle had fallen over with the car in the garage. She didn't see it when she got in and started to back out of the garage. She said she kept hearing a grinding, scraping sound, but because she couldn't see anything she kept backing out. LOL! that bike mangled the entire side of the car as it got wedged between the garage door opening and the pulling force of the car backing out. Explain that one to the insurance guys!

:D :lol: Well wasn't going to pick on my grandma. But what the heck. She has done this to two garage doors! Same car. Did not mess the car up to bad either time but she took out the door! My grandfather put a tennis ball on the end of the garage door on a string that hangs over the car and told her if the tennis ball is on your windshield don't back up. Works like a charm. :D