Incorrect Service Advise

I recently took my RX350 to the dealer for a free 5000 miles/6 month service which was to include oil/filter change and tire rotation. I had only 3000 miles on it, but the 6 months from delivery was up the next day. Upon arrival, I told the service advisor that I was here for the 6 month service. After looking up the vehicle on his computer he said they would check all the fluid levels, do the AC wiring recall mod, and provide a free car wash. I asked about the oil/filter change, etc, and was told I could wait to have it done when I'd put another 2000 miles on it. I said what about the warranty requirement, and he said they would change the oil/filter etc IF I WANTED. Well, I wanted to keep the warranty requirement as well as new oil so I told them to do it. Someone else might have said ok to wait until the odometer read the required miles...BUT, if they had a warranted problem it would be the owners word against the dealer's service advisor. This may be an isolated case, but be advised, especially if you have someone else take your vehicle for service.

I recently took my RX350 to the dealer for a free 5000 miles/6 month service which was to include oil/filter change and tire rotation. I had only 3000 miles on it, but the 6 months from delivery was up the next day. Upon arrival, I told the service advisor that I was here for the 6 month service. After looking up the vehicle on his computer he said they would check all the fluid levels, do the AC wiring recall mod, and provide a free car wash. I asked about the oil/filter change, etc, and was told I could wait to have it done when I'd put another 2000 miles on it. I said what about the warranty requirement, and he said they would change the oil/filter etc IF I WANTED. Well, I wanted to keep the warranty requirement as well as new oil so I told them to do it. Someone else might have said ok to wait until the odometer read the required miles...BUT, if they had a warranted problem it would be the owners word against the dealer's service advisor. This may be an isolated case, but be advised, especially if you have someone else take your vehicle for service.

I don't think they would void your warranty over this one. If they played games like that there would be major consumer complaints. Lexus enjoys one of the highest customer standings in the industry. They didn't get that by cheating customers. Doing the first oil change 2k miles earlier than the normal interval isn't a bad idea so you didn't waste your money.

I don't think they would void your warranty over this one. If they played games like that there would be major consumer complaints. Lexus enjoys one of the highest customer standings in the industry. They didn't get that by cheating customers. Doing the first oil change 2k miles earlier than the normal interval isn't a bad idea so you didn't waste your money.

I agree with above. All of my contact with Lexus has been excellent and I can't see them playing games with the warranty such as the OP has suggested.

Lexus has been rumored to put in a "break-in" oil for the first 5000 miles that has different characteristics than regular dino or synthetic oil. Maybe that is what is at issue. The dealership wanted the OP to go the 5K miles to complete the break-in process.

When we bought our first Lexus a few months ago, the sales person and the service manager both told us to change the oil every 5,000 miles. This is a little different than what we do with our other non-Lexus vehicles, but they must have a reason for it. I will take their advice. Just talk to anyone who has owned a Lexus for sometime they have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about the vehicle and their dealership.

DaWG