Making A Car Failsafe

Hi all I'm new to this forum and I tought I would come here for help.

First of all you're all gonna think I'm crazy but I have an sc400 that I bought from my sister 3 years ago.

My sister bought this car since 1997 as a certified pre owned car.

Since then I told my sister that if she wanted to sell the car someday to consider me as her first option.

Well 3 years ago that time has come so she told me she's gonna sell the car so I bought it from her.

But in order to buy it I had to sell my current car and here I know most of you gonna say I'm crazy but it was a 2 year old FORD TAURUS SEL that I bought brand new.

It had all the extra special options like compass and the 6 speaker stereo I think it was called the Mach system or something like that to go for this very old car.

The Lexus runs great let me tell you I use synthetic oil in it and it still runs like the day my sis bought it in 1997.

Now the thing is recently my auto parts store went Belly up and I bought a house so I had to sell my van.

So now we ONLY have the sc400.

My wife doesn't have a drivers license but I use this car to go to work buy groceries drive the kids to school and things like that.

But now my main concern is reliability.

See Right now I"m working at a VW dealership so I know the quality of foreign cars.

I'm working right now with a vw CERTIFIED mechanic and he's helping me with my car to kind of make it failsafe.

I already changed the fuel pump this month I'm doing the coil pack.

In the past 3 years I changed the Power stering pump,Brake line,o2 sensors,Brakepads, and maybe 1 or 2 other things I can't remember now.

My sis said she changed the oil seals and A/C compressor.

So nobody did work on the engine or the tranny exept for a timong belt and water pump change.

My mechanic told me that maybe I can get away with just buying 7 selenoids for the tranny and maybe keep the same tranny.

But that just a big maybe.

I want to get rid of the whole tranny.

I'm thinking since we only use synthetic oil we can push 200k miles with this engine.

But the tranny I don't know.

Do any of you know who makes the tranny for the sc400

Because them we can do a research and find out how these tranny's are and so we know.

But I think 139 k miles is enough.

Do any of you think I have to drop this tranny and get a new one before this one dies?

Ok, first off you have one of the most reliable cars ever made. Makes those VWs look british in comparison. All you need to do is make sure all the fluids are new. DO NOT flush the tranny or you will be asking for trouble. Just replace the filter and top up with enough new fluid. DO NOT flush no matter what anyone tells you. It will loosen stuff and may pooch your tranny.

Now my question is why are you worried about the transmission? Is it not working right? If it is working properly, leave it alone. These cars can easily go 300,000+ miles with proper maintenance.

Again if it is running well. leave well enough alone. and just do routine maintenance.

Oh and how many miles does yours have?

My 2 cents

Ok, first off you have one of the most reliable cars ever made. Makes those VWs look british in comparison. All you need to do is make sure all the fluids are new. DO NOT flush the tranny or you will be asking for trouble. Just replace the filter and top up with enough new fluid. DO NOT flush no matter what anyone tells you. It will loosen stuff and may pooch your tranny.

Now my question is why are you worried about the transmission? Is it not working right? If it is working properly, leave it alone. These cars can easily go 300,000+ miles with proper maintenance.

Again if it is running well. leave well enough alone. and just do routine maintenance.

Oh and how many miles does yours have?

My 2 cents

It has 139 k on the odo but that's the typical mileage that I see vw's trannys die with.

I never did a complete flush but I do 2 drains and fills every oil change (3k miles) to try to make the tranny last longer.

Some people told me that a tranny cooler might help.

I wonder if anyone of you are using that and if it helps.

One guy at work also told me to buy snake oil at autozone for the transmission and the engine.

I wonder if these really make your car last longer.

They said it will double the life of the tranny and engine but I mean if it's really true everybody would be using them and never haver to rebuild.

And I don't think any trans will last for 300k exept maybe in big pickup trucks liek Ford F 150 and Chevy's.

In the real world most trannys go till 150 k miles both domestic and foriegn cars.

I speak of experience because I know a lot of people with foreign cars

It has 139 k on the odo but that's the typical mileage that I see vw's trannys die with.

I never did a complete flush but I do 2 drains and fills every oil change (3k miles) to try to make the tranny last longer.

Some people told me that a tranny cooler might help.

I wonder if anyone of you are using that and if it helps.

One guy at work also told me to buy snake oil at autozone for the transmission and the engine.

I wonder if these really make your car last longer.

They said it will double the life of the tranny and engine but I mean if it's really true everybody would be using them and never haver to rebuild.

And I don't think any trans will last for 300k exept maybe in big pickup trucks liek Ford F 150 and Chevy's.

In the real world most trannys go till 150 k miles both domestic and foriegn cars.

I speak of experience because I know a lot of people with foreign cars

[/quote)

Don't over analyze. I will say it again, you have one of the most reliable well built cars ever made. If everything is working and you are doing regular maintenance and don't drive the !Removed! out of it it will double that milage easy. Do not listen to anyone no matter what type of mechanic, except maybe a toyota master mechanic. Comparing the SC400 to VW is like comparing a 80 series landcruiser to a jeep grand cherokee. Totally different animals on the build quality spectrum. Snake oil is snake oil, just change when you are supposed to. Oh and there are many SC400s with well over 150k on their original trannys. Some milage from a thread on another forum:

-Finally in the 200,000+ Mile Club. Anyone else?

-I'm at 270k at the moment...

-249,8xx miles here

-220,3xx right now

-218k still STRONG.

-201k now, lol do ppl get all crazy when you guys tell them the mileage on your SC? lol

-I'm at 208K now with no worries.

-I'm at 293,XXX. oh yeah.

-and i'm around 250's

-256k here haha and still going.

-290,828 here and no problems

-im almost there.. im at 195k now

-212K now.... with zero issues. maintenance is key....

-I need about 6K more to hit the 200K mark. I just picked up a Tacoma and havent drove the SC lately. We did major service to it not too long ago and still runs like a top..

Just a few testimonials for ya.

Listen to the people!!!

You do not have a VW you have a LEXUS...Huge difference! This car will last you up to 300k with same engine and same tranny. You will be doing yourself a big diservie if you replace anything before you actually have a problem which you probably wont. Dont out think yourself or let some mechanics who work on VW's steer you wrong...Read some of the testimonials on this car and you will know they never die...

I have a 1997 SC 400 with 170k and have never had a problem with the engine or tranny of any kind. Most reliable car i have ever owned period!

Listen to the people!!!

You do not have a VW you have a LEXUS...Huge difference! This car will last you up to 300k with same engine and same tranny. You will be doing yourself a big diservie if you replace anything before you actually have a problem which you probably wont. Dont out think yourself or let some mechanics who work on VW's steer you wrong...Read some of the testimonials on this car and you will know they never die...

I have a 1997 SC 400 with 170k and have never had a problem with the engine or tranny of any kind. Most reliable car i have ever owned period!

Ok J wills your opinion I can actually trustbecause t's a real world experience.

You have a car you drive it in the city and at 170 k miles you still have the sme transmission but I don't trust things like statistics or something that was said in a car commercial because I mean 300 k on the same tranny that cn't be real that only happens with Big pickup trucks Suv,s and other really strong cars that are build for towing climbing mountains and things like that.

But I believe I don't have the drop the tranny now but I still want to know some hings.

Like is any of you using trans coolers and what kind do work best on these type of cars?

Andwhat exactly is Snake OIl is it something like Dura lube or Prolong or Slick 50 or something like that or what?

And also how many modules does these cars have lie for lights a/c,wipers and things like that.

And what factory made the automatic transmission for these cars?

Because lkeway backthen i 1994 when this car was made either Gm owned Toyota r Toyota owne GM that's how te Toyota Corolla's wre made exactly like Geo Prizm's

This mkig the car faisfe thing i really paying off!

I changed my Fuel pump and the car got a lot more power now then itdid before

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Met two Lexus owners on 2 separate occaisions while picking up parts at a dealer.

One drove a '92 SC with over 400K (saw the odo) in mint condition - never did anything with engine/tranny other than routine maintenance as per schedule. Always OEM parts - no additives, no mods, etc.

The other owner drove a '90 LS with over 700K in the same condition as the SC. Again, all service by the book, and everything was OEM.

Both these guys had other cars, the one with the LS also had an SLK55 AMG Convertible and an ML suv (his wife wasn't happy with any of the cars and was on his case for getting the Bentley GTC and dumping the AMG - nice step up I must say), the other was trading in his 3 year old RX for an M5 (mid life crisis?). So they weren't hurting at all! :whistles:

Another thing they both had in common was that neither of them was a diy, all service was done at the dealers from day one! Can you imagine how much that amounts to! I just don't understand that kind of expediture. :blink: It's a different lifestyle for sure!

You've got a lot of info on this site for keeping your SC in reliable condition.

My advice:

• until you can get back on your feet, stay with OEM, no mods and keep up with the maintenance
  • Change the tranny fluid w no power flushes - http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/
  • Use only distilled water when mixing coolant.
  • Avoid heat soak under the hood (proper cooldown) or you'll be shortening the lifespan of your wires, sensors, and relays.
  • Replace wear items as needed and don't cheap out by extending the service schedule - you'll pay for it later

As for the rest of your questions, as I mentioned, there's a wealth of information here, readup!

Good luck w your job, but remember, accepting advice from a VW tech for a Lexus vehicle is like accepting Monopoly money for your pay then going out and trying to spend it!

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Met two Lexus owners on 2 separate occaisions while picking up parts at a dealer.

One drove a '92 SC with over 400K (saw the odo) in mint condition - never did anything with engine/tranny other than routine maintenance as per schedule. Always OEM parts - no additives, no mods, etc.

The other owner drove a '90 LS with over 700K in the same condition as the SC. Again, all service by the book, and everything was OEM.

Both these guys had other cars, the one with the LS also had an SLK55 AMG Convertible and an ML suv (his wife wasn't happy with any of the cars and was on his case for getting the Bentley GTC and dumping the AMG - nice step up I must say), the other was trading in his 3 year old RX for an M5 (mid life crisis?). So they weren't hurting at all! :whistles:

Another thing they both had in common was that neither of them was a diy, all service was done at the dealers from day one! Can you imagine how much that amounts to! I just don't understand that kind of expediture. :blink: It's a different lifestyle for sure!

OK wow I mean when my sister said that a Toyota Tundra lasts longer then any Ford F15o or Chevy Cheyenne I laughed at her.

But the information I'm getting here is really getting me thinking and really freaking me out too because I worked with cars almost all my life so this is something new for me.

So are Toyota's really that durable like my sister and brother in law are saying because if it is I mean you got a car that beat all Chevy's and ford;s pick up trucks.

And at work they are only saying bad things about my car like it has no soul it looks sporty but it's not it's still a Lexus like everybody is hates this car.

You've got a lot of info on this site for keeping your SC in reliable condition.

My advice:

• until you can get back on your feet, stay with OEM, no mods and keep up with the maintenance
  • Change the tranny fluid w no power flushes - http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/
  • Use only distilled water when mixing coolant.
  • Avoid heat soak under the hood (proper cooldown) or you'll be shortening the lifespan of your wires, sensors, and relays.
  • Replace wear items as needed and don't cheap out by extending the service schedule - you'll pay for it later

As for the rest of your questions, as I mentioned, there's a wealth of information here, readup!

Good luck w your job, but remember, accepting advice from a VW tech for a Lexus vehicle is like accepting Monopoly money for your pay then going out and trying to spend it!