94 Ls400 Loss Of Power Accelerating

franks 94-LS400

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I searched thorugh the archives and I think I may have found reference to others having this problem but the "Forum" will not allow me to send messages to individual members (don't know why). Therefore, perhaps a redundant post.

94 LS400 loses all power once it hits 30-35 mph - almost like it just cuts off. Slow acceleration allows it to hit cruising speeds of 60-7omph no problem. Like others...non-lexus/totota garage read code (faulty TPS), replaced TPS, faulty Mass Airflow, replaced Mass Airflow...same problem Also seems to be back-firing with smell of fuel. Suggested replacing ECM..that's when I said "officials TIme out" - find a lexus forum.

Per other Forum Suggestions.......I am in need of the following:

My questions:

1. Anyone have detailed instructions on how to R/R LH/RH coils?

2. Anyone have detailed instructions on how to R/R both fuel filters?

3. Any references available for sending out the ECM to be rebuilt at a reasonable cost?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks much! Frank

Backfiring sounds like unused fuel igniting in exhaust. That would suggest improper ignition. These cars have known problems with 1/2 the cylinders going dead due to one of the coils or distributor caps running a muck. I would start there to see if you have arcing wires to the chassis or block, a coil that isn't cutting it at higher RPMs and/or as it warms up, or some other wiring glitch. I would think ECU is down the list on likely candidates at least until you sort the more likely ones out first.

Hi i recently replaced my coils...the one on the top was easy, but the drivers side was a pain...not hard...just a pain! you definately need to remove the battery to get at it.unplug it and take the backet off...the pain was getting the screws off that connects the coil to the bracket....by the way...when you replaced the TPS...did you install it right?? Meaning it goes on sideways then is turned up to the screw holes.Have you tryed to adjust the TPS?? Just a little adjustment makes a HUGE difference!!!