Startup Knocking

stevemcb

MY 2000 LS400 EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE WILL START AND MAKE A VERY LOUD RATTLE AND KNOCK ON STARTUP. LEXUS SAYS IT IS A STUCK VALVE AND THAT IT HAPPENS ONCE IN AWHILE. THEIR ANSWER IS "JUST SHUT IT OFF AND RESTART IT AND IT WILL BE FINE". THAT DOES WORK BUT AFTER ALL THIS IS A LEXUS!!. WHAT KIND OF A ANSWER IS THAT? AM I THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

I have a 1993 LS400 but I don't know how this might answer your question but it relates to the valves. When the car is started the engine makes a sound like tick, tick, tick, tick..... like an old Mercedes Benz. The old owner told me that he took it to his machanic, who was that car's machanic since they bought it, and told him that it is the valves. And it is kind of expensive to go throw and fix the problem and siad that noise is not damaging the car in any way.

Hey Steve:

Do you have VVT-i? It wouldn't make sense if you had an earlier LS. Since I'mnot familiar with VVT-i that much, let me talk to a couple of people tomorrow. I'll keep you abreast.

THISMUST BE A VERY ISOLATED PROBLEM OR OTHERS WOULD BE SCREAMING MAD ABOUT IT. iT IS REAL NASTY SOUNDING AND MAKES YOU WANT TO SHUT OFF THE CAR RIGHT AWAY!

With a Lexus, anything is possible. I think VVT-i has something to do with that.

PS: steve, could you not use all caps when typing. By our Instant Messenging standards, it's considered yelling.

Thanks

I do not think this is normal, and for it to be happening on any late model car- much less a Lexus- is totally unacceptable. My 90 LS400 does not have this knock, but after it warms up- it has a constant valve ticking sound, that I can only hear when the window is down, radio and heat/ac off, or of I am standing outside of the car, but I have heard that this is normal- especially on high mileage cars, which mine is. However, from your description of the sound, yours sounds like a different problem. Good luck.

warranty ran out in oct but they have it in their file. it is in tne shop at this moment for a high throttle surge . it will suddenly rev up when you are at a light or driving. It has done this about 3 or 4 times and scared my wife to death. it could kill someone. the dealer just says oh well and says they need to see it happen. Right!!!!

Duplicating the problem is key, for any repair shop. I'm not a full-pledged mechanic, but I would want to hear and see it myself.

I'm glad to hear the dealer is honouring the warranty. Otherwise, you might be SOL. You might get a new engine, which would be really nice. :blink:

yes i do have the drivetrain warranty. thats why its there now plus i have a 03 lx470 that i just bought new last month from them. i really do not want a new engine. I have been though that routine before. nothing is ever hooked up the same as factory.

I agree. It would never be like factory if they replaced the engine. They may be techs, but they are not the assembly line.

I know back in the "old" days, when people would easily change out the engines in the old cars, it seems like it would take forever to get the car "tuned" to good running order again. When my grandpa had the head gaskets installed on his 1990 Mazda 929 3.0L sedan, the engine never seemed to be the same after that. Good luck to you.

BTW- how do you like your 03 LX470? I seen a 1996 LX450 for sale that I was going to look at for $10,900, but I think it has already been sold. I am currently considering a Toyota Land Cruiser.

the lx 470 is great but remember its not a ls400 or ls430. It is a suv and is always a little soft and bouncy or stiff and harsh depending where you set the ride contro. For a suv it is great. I like it better than the escalade. I tried both( my parents are ex GM employees) even with the big rebates from GM I went for the lx470. I paid 53,000 for it new with cool chrome lexus wheels, the upgrade sound system,.sunroof deflector etc. I didnt get the back dvd system or rear spoiler. I could have bought the GM for 43000 with all my discount for a 03. I have only had it about 45 days with 2500 miles on it

I agree. It would never be like factory if they replaced the engine. They may be techs, but they are not the assembly line.

I know back in the "old" days, when people would easily change out the engines in the old cars, it seems like it would take forever to get the car "tuned" to good running order again. When my grandpa had the head gaskets installed on his 1990 Mazda 929 3.0L sedan, the engine never seemed to be the same after that. Good luck to you.

BTW- how do you like your 03 LX470? I seen a 1996 LX450 for sale that I was going to look at for $10,900, but I think it has already been sold. I am currently considering a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Although I don't support dealers, since I'll be competing with them sometime in the future, but they are supposed to have a factory trained Master Mechanic install the block, not an amateur. Otherwise there is a possibility the manufacturer will support and give you a new car. I haven't hear too many cases where they've given a customer a new car while on the powertrain warranty, but if this happens, you can demand for a factory trained master mechanic to work on your car.

Steve:

I think you should sell your LX470 and get the RX330. You're probably not going to take it off-road, so why have a big, ugly, beast?- :blushing::lol:

What for? Since they gave you a loaner, let them hold on to your car indefinitely. Besides, the best results are found over a long time. Let them do their job. This way, you can get your money's worth.

you are right. I am in no hurry . I get to drive the lx and my wife gets to driv e a new es ! I am leaving on a 2000 mile drive next week. I should have planned better! ha . but I do hope they find the problem. I think they may be a little more serious this time or maybe it got recorded in the computer

Once the problem is in the computer, your golden. I do believe you should ask the dealership to give you one of the new RXs. That could change your mind with the Wolley Mammoth :lol:

Did I even mention, the new car smell; goes away after a while :)

Sorry I couldn't resist.