Sat In An Hs250h Today...

SW03ES

Hey gang,

Sat in an HS250h today. I thought the styling was better in person than I thought it would be. Interior is nice, quirky though and I have to say I think I prefer the layout of the 2010 Prius...

The sticker was $44k...I'd rather have an ES...

I think Lexus should have just made another generation of the ES, in hybrid

Maybe make it a little faster and less "girly" looking, and i think it would be a good seller.

wow $44,000, that is a ton! Isn't a Prius just a little over $20,000? Maybe that HS is loaded.

2 Prius = 1 HS

I can't imagine the HS is going to sell all that well.

The Prius starts at $23k, but a fully loaded Prius V with the tech package is about $35k. This HS was fully loaded with the AT package, lane departure, radar cruise, etc, spec's out like the Prius V so its essentially a $9k premium for the Lexus.

I bet it'll sell fine. Plenty of people who like the hyrbid image that will pay for it. Not my thing though.

Maybe make it a little faster and less "girly" looking, and i think it would be a good seller.

Thats contrary to the purpose of the vehicle. The other Lexus hybrids emphasize performance over economy, the HS isn't supposed to be that way. Its supposed to be a economy minded vehicle...like the Prius...

I bet it'll sell just fine.

The Prius starts at $23k, but a fully loaded Prius V with the tech package is about $35k. This HS was fully loaded with the AT package, lane departure, radar cruise, etc, spec's out like the Prius V so its essentially a $9k premium for the Lexus.

I bet it'll sell fine. Plenty of people who like the hyrbid image that will pay for it. Not my thing though.

Man, who pays 35 grand for a prius? I've been in a few (and driven a couple) and no way do they feel like they're worth even close to that. And yes I realize you save money on gas and help the environment by getting one....

couldn't agree more.

PLENTY of people pay $35k for a Prius. We paid $26k for ours. Remember...they sell all of them they can make.

The $35k prius has a lot of equipment, LED headlamps, radar cruise, lane keep assist, keyless entry and start, nav, backup camera, leather, heated seats, 17" wheels. Its a lot of car. You can't find one, they are all spoken for. Most people buy package III or Package IV Priuses that sell between $27k-$30k. Next hardest car to get is the IV with the solar roof which is like $32k.

The Prius is not an economy car, its a midsized car that is similar in interior room and cost to something like a Camry or Accord.

I'd assume its pretty similar to the Prius...which obviously I have driven a lot.

I think they skimp on sound deadening in the floor to save weight. Some Prius owners have had dynamat installed under the carpeting with really good results.

The Prius is pretty quiet...except for road noise.

I'm seeing more and more of them here in Socal. I think it looks better in darker colors; there is a dark blue that I think looks particularly fetching. Fully loaded though that car is getting expensive at $44k; I might almost want a 2 year old GS450h which drive much better and doesn't use that much more fuel.

On a totally different brand (but similar topic) I had a ride in a Honda FCX Clarity today at the Alt Car Expo here. What a trip! The car sounds like it came out of Star Trek; with a zoomy whine when you step on the gas (allegedly this is from the compressor rushing air into the fuel cell stack). Pickup is surprisingly good for a 134hp motor.

Practicality of owning a hydrogen vehicle aside the FCX is gorgeous inside. The eco-fabric feels much like the frachir in the Camry/Prius, and it's really roomy (I'd say the interior room approaches an LS) but no sunroof or leather. Also they are lease only, which is probably a good thing b/c the cars supposedly cost between $1 and 2 million EACH to make.

Range is only 220 miles or so but if they made this with a gas/electric hybrid engine I would definitely consider one.

I'd assume its pretty similar to the Prius...which obviously I have driven a lot.

I think they skimp on sound deadening in the floor to save weight. Some Prius owners have had dynamat installed under the carpeting with really good results.

The Prius is pretty quiet...except for road noise.

• 3 weeks later...
The Prius is not an economy car
It sure is built like one. I sat in a 2010 the other day, and I liked almost everything about it except for the cheap plastics. I gently rested my knee on that gigantic center console (like I do in every car I drive), and it creaked and cracked like a '95 Chevy. I was shocked that this Prius actually had so much head and legroom. The seat was a little flat and could have been more supportive, but overall, I was very comfortable. I realize the technology aspect of the car, but I'm not going to pay $23,200 for something that's already rattling with 11 miles on it, 40+ mpg or not. Plus, I would have to deal with those Gulf States Toyota crooks; the Prius I sat in had $1,500 of worthless port options. The 6 they had on the lot all had these ridiculous add ons; I hope no one actually falls for that crap.

I saw the Lexus dealer had 6-8 HSs. I'm sure they will be there a while since hybrids aren't popular here. It looks ok; I'm not crazy about the Ford Fusion grill--it works on a Fusion, not so much on a Lexus. I didn't get to sit in one. The dash looks bad without the nav. $38k is a lot for an unimpressive 34mpg hwy. For my $40k, there are a ton of better options out there, but I agree that it will sell well to those wanting to be seen in a hybrid and a Lexus.

The plastics are a tradeoff...something has to give when you pack that much technology and features into a car for that price.

Rattling is an issue in our '04 Prius too...although I haven't read a lot of issues with the new one.