2010 Rx 350 Owners?

BadBrad

My dealer only delivered two remote car keys to me. I think I've been slighted the electronic credit card key (I swear I saw it on the table in front of me when completing paperwork). Please chime in and let me know if you received this key.

Thanks.

ttt

... Replying for the sake of filling space. On my 09Rx350, I received two remotes + a "electronic card" which contained the removable "valet key". Procedure is to use the valet key in the locks and fire the engine while holding the rest of the electronic card - which contains the 'chip', close to the lock so that it allows starting the engine.

If you go to lexus.com, register and check out the manual etc.. for your car, you will get the info you seek.

Good luck!

i didn't get a credit card key

when i asked about it, the sales person didn't know what i was talking about

i just received 2 fobs

please keep us up to date

Thanks for your response. A second question for you: Did you get a key number plate from the dealer?

I received two keys and the key code. The saleman says if you lose the key code, they have your record and can create another key in case you need another.

I asked the saleman about the credit card key. He said its absolete. I asked him again if I need it. He said I dont need it.

Does this credit card key fits into your wallet? I dont see how it will fit in your wallet with the metal key attached to it unless you remove it. If it fits, I would definitely want to have one and I will call the saleman for it.

I received two keys and the key code. The saleman says if you lose the key code, they have your record and can create another key in case you need another.

I asked the saleman about the credit card key. He said its absolete. I asked him again if I need it. He said I dont need it.

Does this credit card key fits into your wallet? I dont see how it will fit in your wallet with the metal key attached to it unless you remove it. If it fits, I would definitely want to have one and I will call the saleman for it.

I don't know what is going on with these dealers. Laying the credit card key in front of me; then not delivering it with the car. The claim that the key is obsolete when the 2010 is a BRAND NEW CAR; the owner's manual discussing how and when the key is used. Why and how is the key obsolete? With that key in "circulation" car theft is very possible.

Yes - the key can fit in your wallet. The metal key you mention actually fits inside the credit card key and is only removed if the battery in the key is dead (to the point the door won't otherwise open); you'd use the metal key to open the door. I'm looking forward to my Lexus survey arriving so I can call my "salesman" a liar.

I am going to call the salesman and ask him about the credit card key. I like to have one. The reason I like to have one is it fits in the wallet. The regular fob is relatively heavier and bigger than most of my other car keys. On the other hand, the credit card key does not have the buttons to open/close the doors and trunk right? Will keep you posted on what happened.

i'll have to look into this as well.

i'd prefer something that fits in my wallet, the key FOB is too big.

don't know why they made it so large, in this day and age, they should be able to fit it in a credit card.

i never use the buttons on the fob anyways.

Okay my salesman just called me up after emailing him about the card key. He went to the service manager and ask about it. Here is his explanation:

The card key is available only on the 2009 and discontinued on the 2010. The 2009 does not have the start/stop push button like tue 2010. To start the 2009 suv you need to do it the usual way which is insert a key to. You need to have the card key in order for the car to start.

For those who have the 2009 please verify if this is true. Poster pauljcl says he has a 2009 and a card key. Then poster 06GS300Silver says he has a 2010 and the two fob plus the card key as well. Please confirm.

In 2010, they introduce the smart key fob and the start/stop button to start the car.

Two things: I dont see how they can not supply the same card key as well as the fob. The smart chip can be incorporated into the card key. Also, why is the card key still in the Owner's Manual?

Okay my salesman just called me up after emailing him about the card key. He went to the service manager and ask about it. Here is his explanation:

The card key is available only on the 2009 and discontinued on the 2010. The 2009 does not have the start/stop push button like tue 2010. To start the 2009 suv you need to do it the usual way which is insert a key to. You need to have the card key in order for the car to start.

For those who have the 2009 please verify if this is true. Poster pauljcl says he has a 2009 and a card key. Then poster 06GS300Silver says he has a 2010 and the two fob plus the card key as well. Please confirm.

In 2010, they introduce the smart key fob and the start/stop button to start the car.

Two things: I dont see how they can not supply the same card key as well as the fob. The smart chip can be incorporated into the card key. Also, why is the card key still in the Owner's Manual?

I vcan confirm what I had written earlier: 2 remotes+ card key (which includes the removable 'valet key'). I do not have the 'smart key fob' and start/stop button: I use the key and turn it to start the engine. You might know whether ALL 2010Rxs have the 'smart key fob'. Otherwise, the manual is usually all-inclusive, not 'customized', i.e. it will list and write about options you may or may not have. Why don't you call another dealer and ask them what comes with the car?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe my salesman when he says there is no credit card key. If there is one, he will produce and give it to me. If one does not exist, he can not conjure one from thin air. I am sure he wants to please me but its just not possible. So I lay the matter to rest and forget about it.

i agree

next time i buy my Lexus, I'll go to whomever 06GS300Silver went to.

looks like his dealer can conjure a credit card key out of think air and BadBrad's salesperson can create an image of it.

all kidding aside, it's still a great car without this key.

i was looking into a bmw 550 or 335 turbo but with the issues they have been having with the turbo pumps, i'll wait for the next Lexus GS when they change the body. I can't wait!

• 8 months later...

my 2010 came with a credit card key and traditional key fobs

there were no issues getting the credit card key, in fact, when I was in looking at the vehicle the salesman was talking this up as a benefit (which for me, being female, isn't really a benefit, my big @ss purse holds the key fob just fine) :) but my husband loves his credit card key!

I say fan the fire, get your credit card key :)

I thought I'd post a Canadian perspective - it may not be all that helpful, but you might find it interesting, nevertheless.

In the Canadian market, the 2010 RX 350 basic configuration includes SmartAccess [no mechanical key required for doors or ignition] and push-button Start/Stop. (The base model also includes AWD, but that's not relevant to the discussion here.)

Canadian vehicles are sold with explicit option packages, which differ from the U.S. option packages. "A la carte" options are not offered, as far as I know. The option packages are:

1. Premium Package 1
  2. Premium Package 2 (which includes Premium Package 1)
  3. Touring Package (which includes Premium Package 2)
  4. Sport Package (which includes Touring Package)
  5. Ultra Premium Package (which includes Touring Package)

Premium Package 2 includes "One wallet size smart card key". I have the Touring Package, and the car did indeed come with the "wallet size smart card key."