Hid Question. Stock Option Gs 300?

2005 GS 300. ML package, Factory Nav.

Hello,

From the searching I have done it is my understanding that 2nd gen GS300's did not have HID options.

However I have read a few other things that lead me to believe I do. Unfortunately I bought my car as a trade in and know little about it.

It was modified slightly by the previous owner whom Ive had no contact with. (Custom Door panels, aftermarket system -which was removed @ trade in)

The reason I ask is my headlights do have the auto leveling feature. So when I turn them on I can see them rise and set into place. They are quite bright white w. a hint of blue. It was my understanding that the auto leveling feature went hand in hand with the HID system.

Was this an option on my car? Im sure I read that only the 430's had this option.

Previous owner must have changed out the bulbs on my inner two lights as the bulbs are blue (not sure of K) but the high beams look normal. I forget what they are called..I know one of you will wise patrons will know that in a second.

One of my high beams is out. Can a mechanic tell what watt bulbs had been replaced with by previous owner...for some reason he stripped the bulbs he put in the fog lights also so I need to get new bulbs for those.

I apologize if any of this is vague & for the lack of pics....camera crapped out on me a few wks ago.

Regards

According to this link HID's were an option for the '05 GS300.

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehic.../Lexus/GS%20300

I can only conclude that because of the auto leveling and intensity that the original owner of my car opted for the HID.

Any way I can be certain? Do non HID GS's have headlights that auto level?

Now I just need to know what bulb to replace my High Beam w. & I need to put new bulbs in my fogs as they are not currently there!

I may just call Lexus w. my VIN and see if they can give me specifics.

Regards.

2nd gen GS DID have the HIDs as an option. You have them. I'd take it to a different mechanic. You might want to consider taking it to a Toyota dealer. I know it doesn't sound right, but the labor rates are different and so they will do the same repair for less than your local Lexus dealer. Personally, I'd say spend the extra, or you will end up paying much more if your "mechanic" screws up your HIDs. If you have a manual, just look in it for info on bulb type and replacement procedures. Good Luck

Hello,

From the searching I have done it is my understanding that 2nd gen GS300's did not have HID options.

However I have read a few other things that lead me to believe I do. Unfortunately I bought my car as a trade in and know little about it.

It was modified slightly by the previous owner whom Ive had no contact with. (Custom Door panels, aftermarket system -which was removed @ trade in)

The reason I ask is my headlights do have the auto leveling feature. So when I turn them on I can see them rise and set into place. They are quite bright white w. a hint of blue. It was my understanding that the auto leveling feature went hand in hand with the HID system.

Was this an option on my car? Im sure I read that only the 430's had this option.

Previous owner must have changed out the bulbs on my inner two lights as the bulbs are blue (not sure of K) but the high beams look normal. I forget what they are called..I know one of you will wise patrons will know that in a second.

One of my high beams is out. Can a mechanic tell what watt bulbs had been replaced with by previous owner...for some reason he stripped the bulbs he put in the fog lights also so I need to get new bulbs for those.

I apologize if any of this is vague & for the lack of pics....camera crapped out on me a few wks ago.

Regards

2nd gen GS DID have the HIDs as an option. You have them. I'd take it to a different mechanic. You might want to consider taking it to a Toyota dealer. I know it doesn't sound right, but the labor rates are different and so they will do the same repair for less than your local Lexus dealer. Personally, I'd say spend the extra, or you will end up paying much more if your "mechanic" screws up your HIDs. If you have a manual, just look in it for info on bulb type and replacement procedures. Good Luck

Hello,

Regards

Thanks Guys. Good looking out!

Hello,

Regards

HID's WERE an option on the gs300....standard on the gs430. if u have HID'S u have auto leveling....

ALSO HID'S arent measured in wattage....so no mechanic cant tell you wattage. HID'S are measured in kelvin temperature. if they oem i think they are 4300k.

just look up your bulb type and temp and replace it yourself. DONT take this to a dealer. i have HIDS factory in my low beams and aftermarket in my highs and fogs. easy to replace

Hello,

Regards

HID's WERE an option on the gs300....standard on the gs430. if u have HID'S u have auto leveling....

ALSO HID'S arent measured in wattage....so no mechanic cant tell you wattage. HID'S are measured in kelvin temperature. if they oem i think they are 4300k.

just look up your bulb type and temp and replace it yourself. DONT take this to a dealer. i have HIDS factory in my low beams and aftermarket in my highs and fogs. easy to replace

Again...thank you for the replies fellas...I plan on parking my car just before Christmas. Around spring time I will need my 60K service @ which time Ill unload and replace my highs & fogs...

Regards

Again...thank you for the replies fellas...I plan on parking my car just before Christmas. Around spring time I will need my 60K service @ which time Ill unload and replace my highs & fogs...

Regards

this is the guy i have used for the last 6 years, you can pick your bulb/temp and its the same price

http://myworld.ebay.com/nissangtrpower/

as a matter of fact i bought replacement bulbs from him this morning. (i scrapped my front end and i broke my foglight and bulb)

my replacement bulbs were 29.99 for the pair

his kits are only 103.99 BUT his shipping is like 41 as everything comes 2nd day aired FROM JAPAN so its not a bad price. 140ish and its at your door from japan in under 3 days

http://cgi.ebay.com/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-K...1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

this is the guy i have used for the last 6 years, you can pick your bulb/temp and its the same price

as a matter of fact i bought replacement bulbs from him this morning. (i scrapped my front end and i broke my foglight and bulb)

his kits are only 103.99 BUT his shipping is like 41 as everything comes 2nd day aired FROM JAPAN so its not a bad price. 140ish and its at your door from japan in under 3 days

I am going to need a tutorial here.

Because I have factory HID's couldnt I just replace my high beams & fogs w. new bulbs as opposed to the entire kit? I have one High beam out and no bulbs in my fog housings. The inner lamps which house my highs and Daytime running lights burn much more blue than my headlights. I wish i had my f'in camera in working order. I apologize for all these questions. I am still trying to learn about all these options I have when replacing the fogs & high beams.

Thanks for the links Brian. You always deliver valued resources.

Regards.

Regards

Did you get the 3000K for your fog lights? I was also looking to change my fog's to HID's as well and to me, the yellower the better lol.

Regards

Did you get the 3000K for your fog lights? I was also looking to change my fog's to HID's as well and to me, the yellower the better lol.

Are you guys looking for aftermarket HID? I got some for sale! 9006 3000k brand new $70 shipped PM me @ davidkengt@yahoo.com

Regards

Good Looks D.C., Im just waiting out the winter to do all this @ my 60k service. I am still trying to grasp this entire headlight/foglight process.

If I replace my fogs will I need an entire kit such as the ones Sakataj linked, or can i just use new bulbs. My housings have no bulbs in them at the moment.

Do I need the entire kit to replace any of my high/low beam or can I just use new bulbs since i have factory HID?

Again I have one high beam out and need to replace that bulb. my Daytime running lights are much more blue than the low beams and high beams. the bulb itself is blue.

Essentially I would like to replace my fogs (4300k?) and since I have to replace one high beam I thought I would just upgrade them both to 6000k or 8000k.

I am content with my low beams. I just wish I could detail what my DTRL were changed to by the previous owner so I can get a good match.

MR. SYPHER had a lex Ive seen in some threads that looked great. A lot like what I have going on now but his DTRL are much more blue than mine.

I am quite a novice here on the subject, so baby steps.

Gracias

if u want yellow get the 3k kit dude is selling for 70 bucks. cant beat that although i would make sure its not some POS korean kit

if u want yellow get the 3k kit dude is selling for 70 bucks. cant beat that although i would make sure its not some POS korean kit

If the deal is still around in a month Ill jump on it. As of now Im tied into a bunch if projects b/c I am moving back to New England & life is a little hectic.

If I want to do my highs and fogs do I need the complete kit you linked through Ebay? It seems the best way to go as buying the bulbs alone is nearly the same price..from my knowledge..i know you boys have all sorts of trick's N' connects throughout the community.

Here is Syphers car I mentioned

Thats nice. The inner lamps are too blue for my choosings, but thats just me :) I would rather get one that matches my HID's, instead of having those dull brown lights.

As for the HID fogs, I will definitely get them once Lexus stops raping me for reparing my Blower Controller

Here is Syphers car I mentioned

Thats nice. The inner lamps are too blue for my choosings, but thats just me :) I would rather get one that matches my HID's, instead of having those dull brown lights.

As for the HID fogs, I will definitely get them once Lexus stops raping me for reparing my Blower Controller

Hahaha well put. Yes I agree they are a bit too blue for my taste also, but they resemble (deeper blue) what I have now from the previous owners mods.

to replace my fogs and highs though do I need the entire kit that Sakataj provided an Ebay kit for or should I look for just bulbs for my highs & fogs?

My DRL are not as blue as the pic I posted. Closer to purple leading me to believe maybe 6000k Highs & 4300K fogs will provide the best combo.

Thanks guys.

So my best bet would be to order the entire kits from Ebay's nissangtr or getting something like these?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/4...eplacement.html -->Philips Ultinon D2R 6000k

I also read this in an old club lex post

hleo1

Pole Position

Trader Score: (0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrsypher,

I noticed your car has the nav package, meaning that it should also have the factory HID, right?

If yes, you're right, you only need to buy the bulbs, don't need the whole kit. AND, tell them you just need the D2R Philips Ultinon stage II (stage I will be same as the factory -- beats the purpose of changing them). If it's out of stock, check other shops, and be patient. Some shops may tell you to settle for D2S bulbs, and tell you it's the same as D2R. <<WRONG!>> First of all, they look very similar, but they are so much different!

D2S bulbs are only for cars with projector headlights, like the SC430, Audi, BMW, etc... It doesn't have the cover shield to reduce glare for oncoming vehicles. The fitment bulb base is also different. You'll need to modify the base for perfect fitment. EVEN that, the focus is WAY OFF... The light is not focused at all... your light will be brighter on the shorter length, not far away as normal.

Remember, don't ever settle for D2S, no matter what they tell you, just be patient.

Check these places:

www.hids4less.com

www.autolamps-online.com

Good luck!

Hendry

I am just trying to find the most cost effective way to replace my highs and fogs. From the post I pulled off CL it seems I do not need new ballasts...however those kits on EBay are so cheap. Would I need the ballasts to replace my fogs?

Im fairly set on 6000k highs/4300k fogs. Keeping the lows as they are.

Comments?

to replace my fogs and highs though do I need the entire kit that Sakataj provided an Ebay kit for or should I look for just bulbs for my highs & fogs?

My DRL are not as blue as the pic I posted. Closer to purple leading me to believe maybe 6000k Highs & 4300K fogs will provide the best combo.

Thanks guys.

So my best bet would be to order the entire kits from Ebay's nissangtr or getting something like these?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/4...eplacement.html -->Philips Ultinon D2R 6000k

I also read this in an old club lex post

hleo1

Pole Position

Trader Score: (0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrsypher,

I noticed your car has the nav package, meaning that it should also have the factory HID, right?

If yes, you're right, you only need to buy the bulbs, don't need the whole kit. AND, tell them you just need the D2R Philips Ultinon stage II (stage I will be same as the factory -- beats the purpose of changing them). If it's out of stock, check other shops, and be patient. Some shops may tell you to settle for D2S bulbs, and tell you it's the same as D2R. <<WRONG!>> First of all, they look very similar, but they are so much different!

D2S bulbs are only for cars with projector headlights, like the SC430, Audi, BMW, etc... It doesn't have the cover shield to reduce glare for oncoming vehicles. The fitment bulb base is also different. You'll need to modify the base for perfect fitment. EVEN that, the focus is WAY OFF... The light is not focused at all... your light will be brighter on the shorter length, not far away as normal.

Remember, don't ever settle for D2S, no matter what they tell you, just be patient.

Check these places:

www.hids4less.com

www.autolamps-online.com

Good luck!

Hendry

I am just trying to find the most cost effective way to replace my highs and fogs. From the post I pulled off CL it seems I do not need new ballasts...however those kits on EBay are so cheap. Would I need the ballasts to replace my fogs?

Im fairly set on 6000k highs/4300k fogs. Keeping the lows as they are.

Comments?

yeah get a kit like i linked or one from the other link

yeah get a kit like i linked or one from the other link

Alright...so I NEED the entire kit. Damn Brian If I could just fly you here to spend an hour going through my car it would resolve so many Q's.

Thanks. Ill order them up come 60k service time.

Kindest Regards,

Chris