Do It Yourself Oil Change

JWhite

I will be doing my own oil changes from now on because of a bad experience I had where I have always taken it to have the job done. I would like some opinions on the type of filter I should use. Should I pay the higher price at the Lexus dealership, or is there an oil filter that will do the same job that I could pick up a Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc? I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and noticed at Pep Boys they have a Mobile 1 filter for around $15.00 and other brands in the $5.00 range. Is that as good as what the Lexus offers? I have no problem paying for the one they sell at the Lexus dealership which is probably overpriced, but I want to make sure I get the best protection.

I will be doing my own oil changes from now on because of a bad experience I had where I have always taken it to have the job done. I would like some opinions on the type of filter I should use. Should I pay the higher price at the Lexus dealership, or is there an oil filter that will do the same job that I could pick up a Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc? I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and noticed at Pep Boys they have a Mobile 1 filter for around $15.00 and other brands in the $5.00 range. Is that as good as what the Lexus offers? I have no problem paying for the one they sell at the Lexus dealership which is probably overpriced, but I want to make sure I get the best protection.

You can never, I repeat never, go wrong with oem. That means you're using what the engineers designed for the car in the first place. Also, don't nickle and dime a part that's dirt cheap to start with.

You can get the OEM oil filter at your local toyota dealer. P/N is 909215-YZZD3 (same oil filter as for the '98-07 landcruiser, 03-09 4runner v8, Tundra/Sequoia V8). They are around $5 retail. Same goes for windshield wiper blades.

You can never, I repeat never, go wrong with oem. That means you're using what the engineers designed for the car in the first place. Also, don't nickle and dime a part that's dirt cheap to start with.

I agree. Why bother with aftermarket oil filters when it has been proven that Toyota/Lexus V8 engines can go hundreds of thousands of miles on OEM oil filters.

Each of the last couple of 10-packs of 909215-YZZD3 oil filters, including 10 oil plug gaskets, I've bought at a local Toyota dealer has cost only $40.

I agree. Why bother with aftermarket oil filters when it has been proven that Toyota/Lexus V8 engines can go hundreds of thousands of miles on OEM oil filters.

Each of the last couple of 10-packs of 909215-YZZD3 oil filters, including 10 oil plug gaskets, I've bought at a local Toyota dealer has cost only $40.

Makes good sense to me also. Thanks for the part number and the advise to buy at Toyota. Walked into the Toyota dealership and gave the parts man the number and said I needed this for my LS400, and his reply was "good thing your are getting this here, we charge $7.00 for the same filter Lexus asks $17.50 for.

• 2 weeks later...
hey will that Toyota part number be the same for my 93 ls400?? P/909215-YZZD3

I ordered 6 of them from www.parts.com and got genuine Toyota filters. Comes with a new gasket for oil plug. Got a couple cabin filters and engine air filter as well. Have enough to cover me a couple years at least. Don't remember prices but they were reasonable. I also bought the special cap wrench for the oil filter end. Its a unique design to fit the unusual Toyota shape and works with a 3/8 socket. Makes removing the filter a breeze. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/asstoy730.html

Dang it...I paid $50 at the Lexus dealer for a 10 pack :D Have to try the Toyota dealer next time.

What I really like is that the Toyo filters come with the oil ring gasket pre-greased. Just pull the cellophane wrapper off and go!

No more forgetting to oil the gasket.

What a mess I found when I went to change my oil. Last shop that did this just said there was a small leak aroung the bolt. The didn't say anything about the patch job they did. I assumed it was the drain bolt gasket so I purchased one to replace. Not sure what that piece that is broken off does but it seems to go all the way around the pan hole. If I chip the hard blue silicone away I might damage it more. There is a small pin hole in the silicone that oil leaks out, circled in white in the smaller picture. The aera circled in yellow is where a chip is missing. I am thinking that the only place that could leak is the bolt gasket. Any suggestions?

post-55229-1255386669_thumb.jpg

post-55229-1255385279_thumb.jpg

It looks like the threaded socket for the bolt has broken away from the sheet metal oil plan. That could be bad news. Maybe an overzelous tech cranking on the nut with a long wrench.

Obvious fix is to remove and replace oil pan but that sounds like a pain and probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe you can get a sealant or epoxy to seal it up but every time you remove or install oil plug you risk cracking the seal. Maybe install something like this instead:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

It looks like the threaded socket for the bolt has broken away from the sheet metal oil plan. That could be bad news. Maybe an overzelous tech cranking on the nut with a long wrench.

Obvious fix is to remove and replace oil pan but that sounds like a pain and probably not what you wanted to hear. Maybe you can get a sealant or epoxy to seal it up but every time you remove or install oil plug you risk cracking the seal. Maybe install something like this instead:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

That could of happened, not sure until I remove the "blue stuff' and find out for sure. It seems that if it was the gasket they would of replaced it, but with that patch work it looks to be worse than just the gasket. I have a new plug and gasket that I will try first and see if that does it. While I was under there I losened up the plug on there now and it didn't interfer with the patch work they did. I might take it back to them and see what they can do about it since I have records of only them doing the oil changes. Might not fly though, they always seem to have an answer. By the looks of things the pan looks easy enough to R&R, nothing in the way, just don't know if the oil pump is in the way and might have to loosen that to remove it. Maybe someone has replaced theirs and could shed some light on this for me. Thanks for your advise.

I know this situation isn't funny but I have to say that the "blue blob" fix looks pretty comical. If you have documentation showing that you always took your car to this place for oil changes, could you ask that they fund a proper repair, if needed, or at least go 50-50?

Just curious, was the shop who did this deed a gas station, Walmart or "Iffy-Lube" type place?

I've seen sooo much grief caused by quick oil change businesses. Like last year when my niece had the oil in her nearly new Honda SUV changed at a quick oil change business and a large puddle of oil was on her garage floor within an hour after she returned.

I know eveyone isn't in a position to do it, but, IMO, the number one way to prevent damage to a car is to, as much as possible, keep it away from others working on it -- especially to keep it away from the the quick oil change places and Walmart type places. I'll never forget when a friend got a quick oil change in his Porsche in Columbia, Missouri and then jumped on I-70 to drive to Kansas City. I don't remember if he had warnings from dash lights and gauges but he made it only a few miles before the engine seized from lack of oil caused by the drain plug falling out.

I know this situation isn't funny but I have to say that the "blue blob" fix looks pretty comical. If you have documentation showing that you always took your car to this place for oil changes, could you ask that they fund a proper repair, if needed, or at least go 50-50?

Just curious, was the shop who did this deed a gas station, Walmart or "Iffy-Lube" type place?

I've seen sooo much grief caused by quick oil change businesses. Like last year when my niece had the oil in her nearly new Honda SUV changed at a quick oil change business and a large puddle of oil was on her garage floor within an hour after she returned.

I know eveyone isn't in a position to do it, but, IMO, the number one way to prevent damage to a car is to, as much as possible, keep it away from others working on it -- especially to keep it away from the the quick oil change places and Walmart type places. I'll never forget when a friend got a quick oil change in his Porsche in Columbia, Missouri and then jumped on I-70 to drive to Kansas City. I don't remember if he had warnings from dash lights and gauges but he made it only a few miles before the engine seized from lack of oil caused by the drain plug falling out.

Yes, it was Walmart. Never again, doing my own from now on.

By the looks of things the pan looks easy enough to R&R, nothing in the way, just don't know if the oil pump is in the way and might have to loosen that to remove it. Maybe someone has replaced theirs and could shed some light on this for me.
Yeah, it's not bad. Aside from unbolting the pan itself, if I'm remembering correctly from when I did this years ago, the only other thing you have to do is unbolt a ps line or something that runs along the front of the pan.