Recall

3.8 Million Toyota, Lexus Recalled Over Floor Mats

The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration issued a wide-ranging recall late today for 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The recall stems from faulty floormats that can become stuck under the accelerator pedal causing unexpected acceleration. The defect is suspected to be the cause of one recent fatal accident.

The recall includes the following models:

2007-2010 Camry

2005-2010 Avalon

2004-2009 Prius

2005-2010 Tacoma

2007-2010 Tundra

2007-2010 ES 350

2006-2010 IS 250 and IS350

NHTSA suggests all owners remove the driver-side floormat from these cars immediately and not replace them with anything. Toyota has released a warning for owners including steps to take in case of an accelerator issue. We've posted the notice below.

Toyota Notice

Should the vehicle continue to accelerate rapidly after releasing the accelerator pedal, this could be an indication of floor mat interference. If this occurs, Toyota recommends the driver take the following actions:

First, if it is possible and safe to do so, pull back the floor mat and dislodge it from the accelerator pedal; then pull over and stop the vehicle.

If the floor mat cannot be dislodged, then firmly and steadily step on the brake pedal with both feet. Do NOT pump the brake pedal repeatedly as this will increase the effort required to slow the vehicle.

Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF, or to ACC. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

-If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

-If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

In the event owners choose not to remove their floor mat, Toyota strongly recommends that they ensure that the correct floor mat is being used, that it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. Information on proper floor mat installation can be found on http://www.toyota.com and http://www.lexus.com.

Owners with questions or concerns, are asked to please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center (1 800 331-4331) or Lexus Customer Assistance Center (1 800 255¬3987), or consult the information posted at http://www.toyota.com and http://www.lexus.com.

I think the issue comes when people don't use the two hooks below the front of the driver's seat. I have often thought about that since the OEM Lexus mats don't have any traction nubs underneath. The same mats are on my own older ES though so i wonder why it is not included...

Carwahses for instance never re-install those hooks...

I think the issue comes when people don't use the two hooks below the front of the driver's seat. I have often thought about that since the OEM Lexus mats don't have any traction nubs underneath. The same mats are on my own older ES though so i wonder why it is not included...

Carwahses for instance never re-install those hooks...

My '09 ES350, has very sharp spikes on the bottom of all 4 mats. I don't think they would dislodge even without the hooks.

And be careful at carwashes....years ago after sending my Acura TL through one, I noticed they ripped out the hooks. The must have yanked out the drivers mat without unfastening the mat. They were still broken (in the glove box) when I traded it in.

I have the all weather ones in my 07 ES. I have to admit when I heard this, I was a little skeptical, I've had my ES since it had 2k miles back in 07 and I have NEVER had and issue with the OEM carpet or the all weather. I also heard rumors of this being a "cover up" for a larger problem with the cars just going under rapid acceleration, when it happens the brake light flashes on the HUD and the car can't be stopped! Pardon my french but WTF???? Check youtube and you will find several. I'm not one to worry and I'm not going to but does this recall require us to do something? Like obviously if they're recalling 3.8 million vehicles what are they going to do with them, is there anything they're fixing? This is all so weird to me haha :rolleyes:

my 2008 es has spikes underneath and the hooks. the things are a pain in the !Removed! to take out to vacuum, but i know it's a response to the 2007(?) incident with mats coming loose. what i don't understand from the story is if the new cars all have them, why are they being recalled? it doesn't even sound like the mat is known for sure to be at fault. what are they going to replace or fix if the hooks come standard? if it's just the older cars, i understand, but the new ones are included in the recall list. another minor point. if they replace my driver mat entirely, i'd like them to replace all of them so they match. i don't need one dark black one and 3 faded, worn charcoal grey ones ;-)

my 2008 es has spikes underneath and the hooks. the things are a pain in the !Removed! to take out to vacuum, but i know it's a response to the 2007(?) incident with mats coming loose. what i don't understand from the story is if the new cars all have them, why are they being recalled? it doesn't even sound like the mat is known for sure to be at fault. what are they going to replace or fix if the hooks come standard? if it's just the older cars, i understand, but the new ones are included in the recall list. another minor point. if they replace my driver mat entirely, i'd like them to replace all of them so they match. i don't need one dark black one and 3 faded, worn charcoal grey ones ;-)

I think they will have to do something besides redesign the floor mats because as the vehicle ages, someone not familiar with the problem may buy some after market mats that will cause the same problem (mat trapping the accelerator).

So, I'm hoping they will redesign the accelerator pedal so it doesn't make any difference what's underneath it.

But thats an issue with any car, aftermarket mats.

The new ones already have spiked backs? Very strange...

I can't wait to see what the issue is...

When I purchased my '07 ES350 back in August '07, the recall was already in effect for the all-weather floor mats. The dealer gave them to me free of charge, just as long I used them in the correct way. The problem with the floor mat was that there were no spikes on the bottom side in case you intentionally/accidentally did not hook them in. But the dealer was saying that the larger problem seemed to be a lot of owners decided to place the mats just on top of the standard carpet ones. Although the instructions directly say to remove the others and hook the all weathers in, these people laid them on top and eventually those spikeless/hooked-in-less suckers moved underneath the brake/accelerator pedals and caused all kinds of brouhaha when you couldn't depress/release either pedal respectively.

In the end, a combination of user error and failure of Toyota/Lexus to compensate for the full stupidity of owners caused this recall.