Recall On Driver Side Floor Mat

Wow, at first I thought this was just a "mat" issue, bad design, non-attentive drivers, etc.

Now, after a bit of reading, I am at least a little concerned. Some interesting stuff on the web out there....one example :

http://suddenacceleration.com/

Lots more too...

Be safe folks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that if you know to put the car in neutral, and to press the start button for 3-5 seconds, you should be able to control a runaway car. However, I'm no expert. I've had three IS's, and no issues at all with regard to this issue. It is disconcerting, however, as I've already stated.

Bartkat, why did you "finally" take your mat out after so many months? I had mine out, and then put it back in, as I have the same opinion you did, that the mat doesn't reach up to the pedal.

And now after re-reading my first paragraph, I wonder if you'll have time to do all of that stuff, as I'm in a second story garage floor and my car just takes off. Won't work to shut off the engine when I'm flying through the air......

I think that if you know to put the car in neutral, and to press the start button for 3-5 seconds, you should be able to control a runaway car. However, I'm no expert. I've had three IS's, and no issues at all with regard to this issue. It is disconcerting, however, as I've already stated.

Bartkat, why did you "finally" take your mat out after so many months? I had mine out, and then put it back in, as I have the same opinion you did, that the mat doesn't reach up to the pedal.

And now after re-reading my first paragraph, I wonder if you'll have time to do all of that stuff, as I'm in a second story garage floor and my car just takes off. Won't work to shut off the engine when I'm flying through the air......

I think you would want the WOT to try and jump out of the garage. :D

I read more about sudden acceleration and the temporary fixes Lexus proposes and just all of a sudden the other day got in and took out the floor mat. I found that the hooks could be turned and the mat could possibly slide forward. Also when leaving the car for service someone could screw up the mat while cleaning the car. I decided that erring on the side of caution would be better. Maybe even go out and practice putting the car in neutral as well. Maybe this should be part of our driving "experience" no matter what the cause of the acceleration problems is.

As I stated: my mats are properly secured and I have no doubt that should the accelerator should get stuck - it would not be because of the mat.

Sudden acceleration is one of the most deadly automotive defects in history. It occurs when a car’s electronics cause the throttle to go wide open, making it impossible for the driver to return the car to idle if it remains in gear. It also severely limits the ability of the brakes to bring the vehicle under control -- leaving the unsuspecting driver at the mercy of a runaway car.

you are right..problem is in electronics...the only thing to solve the problem is turn off the engine...and after a while switch on again...I did once like this but it was another make...

This isn't the place to be seeking legal advice. Bartkat's right--if you are worried, take them out. I've had my car 2.5 years, first with the carpet mats, now with all weathers--no problems. After the announcement, I looked at the mat placement--with the hooks attached, it is IMPOSSIBLE for my mats to get caught on the gas pedal. The top of the mat is just too far away from the pedal for this to happen.

Forums are for discussions and for looking at both sides of the coin. If I were seeking legal advice I wouldn't do it here! I (along with many others) received a letter from Lexus informing me to remove my mat or bear the consequence of leaving it in and getting into an accident because the accelerator stuck. As I stated: my mats are properly secured and I have no doubt that should the accelerator should get stuck - it would not be because of the mat. I wasn't seeking advice - I was seeking opinions on what most people were doing; also, it's not a matter of being worried - it's a matter of being practical. While I realize the mat is not the problem - until Lexus figures this out they could easily say that should the accelerator stick they are not at fault since they sent out a letter alerting everyone that the mat could be the cause.

It seemed to me you were asking if you don't take out the mats, would you have a problem suing Lexus in the future. I apologize if I mis read your inquiry.

It seemed to me you were asking if you don't take out the mats, would you have a problem suing Lexus in the future. I apologize if I mis read your inquiry.

What I was doing was stating a fact: knowing how corporate lawyers work - should your car be involved in an accident involving a runaway car and if you do have your floormat in place - after Toyota/Lexus told you to remove it AND even though it would clearly be shown the floormats had nothing to do with the accident - those lawyers would argue that there was contributory negligence on your part which would either negate or severly reduce a lawsuit.

Today, the LA Times had a front-page article on the recall and testimony from experts from around the country that this problem is not being caused by floormats but by a sophisticated engine not doing what it should. Also, a Google search discloses a few class action lawsuits being filed in recent weeks.

Maybe even go out and practice putting the car in neutral as well. Maybe this should be part of our driving "experience" no matter what the cause of the acceleration problems is.

In my opinion, this cannot be stressed enough. In the event of an emergency, you'll want to have already walked though the drill (at least once) so that your brain knows its an option. We shouldn't fool ourselves into believing we'll be able to think clearly if our car suddently hits WOT.

What I was doing was stating a fact: knowing how corporate lawyers work - should your car be involved in an accident involving a runaway car and if you do have your floormat in place - after Toyota/Lexus told you to remove it AND even though it would clearly be shown the floormats had nothing to do with the accident - those lawyers would argue that there was contributory negligence on your part which would either negate or severly reduce a lawsuit.

Today, the LA Times had a front-page article on the recall and testimony from experts from around the country that this problem is not being caused by floormats but by a sophisticated engine not doing what it should. Also, a Google search discloses a few class action lawsuits being filed in recent weeks.

Exaclty--legal advice. ;)