Recall On Driver Side Floor Mat

On a side note, I have the dealership logo emblem on the back trunk, I have removed these before but I have read about the sensitive paint on a Lexus. Has anyone had issues with removing one from their car?

Take it back to the dealership and have them remove it for you. If they refuse to remove it just let them know how much you will be charging them per mile of advertising you do! They'll take it off.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone see this yet?!

Toyota has told its dealers they should use a heavy-duty self-locking plastic tie — like a zip tie — to make sure owners’ floormats are kept in place while the company works on a permanent solution to the problem that sparked last week’s recall of 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

The ones used for this application can hold up to 50 pounds and are attached to the driver’s seat frame. It allows the mats to be placed on the seat when they need to be moved or cleaned.

Toyota is working toward adding a “component” change to the vehicles, which would likely include advanced braking software that we detailed this morning as well as mechanical changes.

post-73053-1255036845_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen it, but a link should be posted if it's online.

Oooooooooooooook

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/10...oormat-fix.html

Ah so. That leads us to the better solution.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/10...celeration.html

Having worked in manufacturing for a long time I remember that we considered masking tape to be a temporary repair, while duck tape was a permanent repair. The advent of zip ties may have changed all that. :D

When I took my car in last week for service, the dealership just took the mat out I had in there. I had already taken the Lexus mat out, but I use a bath mat on top of that, and they removed it for some reason. I wound up putting it back in last night with the rain we've had here. Haven't heard anything about the tie till just reading this, and that sucks! I wouldn't let them do that to my car........stupid, stupid, stupid!

I remember the person in one of these threads who was talking about his friend whose car accelerated into a building, and the mats were to blame but he insisted it was sudden acceleration, and we were all telling him it was driver error??????? Hmmmmm......

So what are the possibilities of each of our cars doing this? Seems very slim, but it is troubling to me.......

I remember the person in one of these threads who was talking about his friend whose car accelerated into a building, and the mats were to blame but he insisted it was sudden acceleration, and we were all telling him it was driver error??????? Hmmmmm......

My first reaction as well. This is the thread you're remembering: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=56647

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anybody here experienced any problems with the driverside floor mat getting caught on the accelerator pedal? I haven't although I have the Lexus customized clear mats on top so maybe they are holding the carpet mats down. The recommendation is to remove the mat. Just wondering if anyone in the LOC is having problems and what Lexus plans to do to rectify the problem.

sorry but, u have already post a new topic on ur FLOOR MAT issue, please discuss it there, many ppl here are having CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL problems and please delete ur post, thank you !!

Has anybody here experienced any problems with the driverside floor mat getting caught on the accelerator pedal? I haven't although I have the Lexus customized clear mats on top so maybe they are holding the carpet mats down. The recommendation is to remove the mat. Just wondering if anyone in the LOC is having problems and what Lexus plans to do to rectify the problem.

sorry but, u have already post a new topic on ur FLOOR MAT issue, please discuss it there, many ppl here are having CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL problems and please delete ur post, thank you !!

What in earths creation is this post about? Are you lost?

Wat??

I echo what smooth1 & barkat said!

We have an IS 250 and the floormats that are fastened by the hooks were purchased with the original purchase of the vehicle. I just phoned Lexus and the agent informed me that even though the floormats are properly fastened they are recommending that the driver's side be removed until a so-called permanent fix is found (which is what I don't understand because the mats are tightly fastened by these hooks) - anway, the letter received last week stated that the mats must be removed or Lexus will not be responsible should the accelerator stick. Just wondering if that is what you all are doing.

We have an IS 250 and the floormats that are fastened by the hooks were purchased with the original purchase of the vehicle. I just phoned Lexus and the agent informed me that even though the floormats are properly fastened they are recommending that the driver's side be removed until a so-called permanent fix is found (which is what I don't understand because the mats are tightly fastened by these hooks) - anway, the letter received last week stated that the mats must be removed or Lexus will not be responsible should the accelerator stick. Just wondering if that is what you all are doing.

I'm doing nothing.

That "recall" notice was ridiculous. May mats are hooked and not going anywhere near the accelerator. I am starting to believe the issue may actually have to do with the push button start and the trottle. Practice emergency stopping procedures!

I understand that and I totally agree that Lexus/Toyota problems go way beyond mats that are properly hooked; however, my dilema is that the notice stated that they will not be liable should the accelerator stick and you have mats installed on the driver's side. This is probably something that only a lawyer can answer. We (who have our mats installed properly) know that should the accelerator stick it would be because of something other than the mats being installed - but what if the accelerator does stick and you crash into something and the investigator determines that low and behold you do have a mat installed (although it never moved from its hooks) - does Lexus then have a legal out because they told you to remove the mats?

I understand that and I totally agree that Lexus/Toyota problems go way beyond mats that are properly hooked; however, my dilema is that the notice stated that they will not be liable should the accelerator stick and you have mats installed on the driver's side. This is probably something that only a lawyer can answer. We (who have our mats installed properly) know that should the accelerator stick it would be because of something other than the mats being installed - but what if the accelerator does stick and you crash into something and the investigator determines that low and behold you do have a mat installed (although it never moved from its hooks) - does Lexus then have a legal out because they told you to remove the mats?

This isn't the place to be seeking legal advice. Bartkat's right--if you are worried, take them out. I've had my car 2.5 years, first with the carpet mats, now with all weathers--no problems. After the announcement, I looked at the mat placement--with the hooks attached, it is IMPOSSIBLE for my mats to get caught on the gas pedal. The top of the mat is just too far away from the pedal for this to happen.

This isn't the place to be seeking legal advice. Bartkat's right--if you are worried, take them out. I've had my car 2.5 years, first with the carpet mats, now with all weathers--no problems. After the announcement, I looked at the mat placement--with the hooks attached, it is IMPOSSIBLE for my mats to get caught on the gas pedal. The top of the mat is just too far away from the pedal for this to happen.

Forums are for discussions and for looking at both sides of the coin. If I were seeking legal advice I wouldn't do it here! I (along with many others) received a letter from Lexus informing me to remove my mat or bear the consequence of leaving it in and getting into an accident because the accelerator stuck. As I stated: my mats are properly secured and I have no doubt that should the accelerator should get stuck - it would not be because of the mat. I wasn't seeking advice - I was seeking opinions on what most people were doing; also, it's not a matter of being worried - it's a matter of being practical. While I realize the mat is not the problem - until Lexus figures this out they could easily say that should the accelerator stick they are not at fault since they sent out a letter alerting everyone that the mat could be the cause.