Changed Brake Pads - Front Side Shaking

Recently, as in it's shaking the first time you're driving it since the procedure was done? If so, you've probably just got a little brake grease on the rotors, which should burn off shortly, just keep your distance from others for a little bit. Same thing happened to me on my 4runner when I changed the pads and rotors. Hit the highway, hit the brakes, and the thing went nuts. After a couple of days, the shaking was gone and hasn't come back since (last february).

Hi,

I had the same problem with my GS - vibrations on the steering wheel while braking, in my case rotors caused the problem - changed braking pads several times - didn't help at all. New rotors are perfect even and smooth with no scratches, hollows whatsoever. I bought second hand car with second hand rotors :huh: I replaced both of them for new, sport ventilated ones B) - no problems with vibrations on the steering wheel anymore.

The car is pretty heavy - braking system - pads, rotors are very, very sensitive - everything has to be spotless - no dust, rust, grease whatsoever.

Good luck

Jarek

I'm sure your problem lies in your rotors.

Doing brakes is more than just replacing the pads. When a brake job is done completely, besides replacing the pads, you will pack the bearings and turn the rotors, to ensure they are true, if you haven't flushed your brake fluid you may want to do this also. I'm sure your rotors are worn. You can remove them and take them to your local auto parts store, and they will be able to tell you if they have enough metal left to have them turned. If you do, then have them turn them, use brake cleaner, liberally on the rotor when it's installed, on both sides, and your problems should be gone. You might as well pack the bearings once you have removed the rotors. Good luck

I have recently changed my brake pads and when i gently press on brakes at high speed the steering wheel starts to shake like mad. Does anyone know what might cause this?

• 1 month later...
I have recently changed my brake pads and when i gently press on brakes at high speed the steering wheel starts to shake like mad. Does anyone know what might cause this?

You probably have crud between the rotor and the axle hub. Take off and clean very thoroughly.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you bed in the new brake pad?

If you didn't bed in the brake pads, then there will be an uneven amount of material transfer on your brake rotors/ discs upon first high heat use and this will cause them to shake. Different brake pads have different bedding in requirements, but here are some links on different ways it can be done:

It might not be caused by this, but there is a chance.

Zeck Hausen Racing -how to bed in brakes

Skylines Australia- How to bed in brakes - I am also a member of this forum, with the screen name "Nearly Skyline"

Tire Rack- Bedding in brakes

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt.

:)

• 7 months later...

This generally happens when brake pads are changed. If this problem is continued for longer time then there might be a real problem otherwise no need to worry , after few days the brake pads will get adjusted and you won't find your steering wheel to be shaky.

Whenever you change your brakes take your finger nails and run them over the rotors; top to bottom at different points on the front and rear of the rotor.

If you feel like your nails drop into the 'divets' then you need to resurface the rotors. This is about $20.00+ tax at any shop. You take off the rotors bring it there and then they'll resurface it if its not too bad.

With the cost of new/aftermarket rotors it doesn't make sense in some cases to resurface. You can pick up new rotors for around $40. So its an $80 brand new cost vs. $40+ tax resurface.

Usually your pads might also shake if you dont correctly install the brake fit kits or shims, it might also be shaking because of your new pads and old rotors..(see my first comments).

I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...