Engine Air Filter/cabin Air Filter & 30k Service

mhawkin1

After my 20k service on Friday I detailed my car; I also checked the cabin air filter (which the maintenance guide recommends being changed at 30k) which was covered in debris and solid black. I then checked my engine air filter, which I could not see light through but was not as crummy as the cabin filter.

I drove to the Lexus dealer Saturday morning and bought new filters ($88.74). (I tried to buy the filters for the V6 Camry; it appears the same filter is used for the engine (but they also cost the same) but the cabin filter was a completely different density for the Lexus as opposed to the Toyota. I bought the OEM filters from Lexus.

I am posting this because when I replaced the cabin filter I could immediately tell the difference in the air quality/smell in my car. I would recommend at least checking these filters before 30k (they are incredibly easy to remove).

After reviewing the 30k service (which is upwards of $500) the only other non-“inspect” item I see outside of the air filters, oil change, tire rotation is the brake fluid needing changed. Does the brake fluid actually need replaced at 30k miles? This seems very early to me. Should I just request that they do a normal service and add the brake fluid change since I have already changed the filters (and will be changing them myself in the future)?

After my 20k service on Friday I detailed my car; I also checked the cabin air filter (which the maintenance guide recommends being changed at 30k) which was covered in debris and solid black. I then checked my engine air filter, which I could not see light through but was not as crummy as the cabin filter.

I drove to the Lexus dealer Saturday morning and bought new filters ($88.74). (I tried to buy the filters for the V6 Camry; it appears the same filter is used for the engine (but they also cost the same) but the cabin filter was a completely different density for the Lexus as opposed to the Toyota. I bought the OEM filters from Lexus.

I am posting this because when I replaced the cabin filter I could immediately tell the difference in the air quality/smell in my car. I would recommend at least checking these filters before 30k (they are incredibly easy to remove).

After reviewing the 30k service (which is upwards of $500) the only other non-“inspect” item I see outside of the air filters, oil change, tire rotation is the brake fluid needing changed. Does the brake fluid actually need replaced at 30k miles? This seems very early to me. Should I just request that they do a normal service and add the brake fluid change since I have already changed the filters (and will be changing them myself in the future)?

I actually heard you should change them every 15k miles! I realized this when my 07 ES350 was at 25-26k I believe. I changed mine too but I ordered it from oriley auto parts, got a sweet carbon impregnated filter ordered specifically for the car and I believe it was like 20 something dollars, definitely under 30. I agree though, my air was starting to smell like chemicals sometimes (idk why lol) but it's perfect now. I would recommend checking out that avenue next time! B)

It is indeed; my car only has 20k miles on it as of now though. I just think in general that 30k is relatively low mileage to change the brake fluid - but I thought I would check with others as I may be wrong.