Front Cat Removal

stevebailey

2000 rx300 v6 ,front catalytic converter is unbolted, and I can't get it out. Is the procedure to remove exhaust manifold or engine mount shock? any help?

I don't know about you, Steve, but that previous post would have ticked me off. Anyway, I will quote you directly from my Haynes manual for the 1999 through 2003 V6 models:

"NOTE: On 1999 through 2003 V6 engines, the Warm-Up Three-Way (WU-TWC) catalytic converters are located below the exhaust manifolds, to which they are bolted.

1) Raise the front of the vehicle and place it on jackstands.

2) To remove the front WU-TWC, remove the two nuts that secure the upper end of the WU-TWC to the exhaust manifold and the two nuts that secure the lower end of the

WU-TWC to the connecting pipe.

3) Installation is the reverse of the removal."

That's all it says...there's no mention of removing the exhaust manifold, engine shock mount, or anything else. I have not done this repair myself, and I know that occasionally the manuals leave out steps that have to be taken to facilitate the repair. Good luck.

• 7 months later...
2000 rx300 v6 ,front catalytic converter is unbolted, and I can't get it out. Is the procedure to remove exhaust manifold or engine mount shock? any help?

I don't know about you, Steve, but that previous post would have ticked me off. Anyway, I will quote you directly from my Haynes manual for the 1999 through 2003 V6 models:

"NOTE: On 1999 through 2003 V6 engines, the Warm-Up Three-Way (WU-TWC) catalytic converters are located below the exhaust manifolds, to which they are bolted.

2) To remove the front WU-TWC, remove the two nuts that secure the upper end of the WU-TWC to the exhaust manifold and the two nuts that secure the lower end of the

That's all it says...there's no mention of removing the exhaust manifold, engine shock mount, or anything else. I have not done this repair myself, and I know that occasionally the manuals leave out steps that have to be taken to facilitate the repair. Good luck.

My 2000 Lexus RX300 (FWD) has I believe the same oxygen sensor problem. The Midas I went to said that the oxygen sensor was stuck and they could not get it out. To rip it out will destroy the exhaust manifold. So in order to replace the oxygen sensor (which may have just been the cause of my catalytic converter blowing a hole in itself) they will have to replace the exhaust manifold that they will have to break to remove the oxygen sensor. The cost of replacing the exhaust manifold and oxygen sensor was like $1,200. I have not yet done anything.

I was wondering if anyone else heard of a oxygen sensor getting so stuck it could not be removed? The mechanic says this happens in 1/20 cases, just my luck or some nonsense?

Thanks....Jason

• 7 months later...

I Have the same thing with my wifes 1999 RX300 i just broke off the oxygen sensor and will have to pull the exhaust manifold I will try to get it helicoiled if not i will drill out the hole and weld in a new oxygen sensor. That one was in there for 11 years so iam sure i will not have this for 11 more years. You can always try that.

2) To remove the front WU-TWC, remove the two nuts that secure the upper end of the WU-TWC to the oxygen sensor and the two nuts that secure the lower end of the

My 2000 Lexus RX300 (FWD) has I believe the same oxygen sensor problem. The Midas I went to said that the oxygen sensor was stuck and they could not get it out. To rip it out will destroy the exhaust manifold. So in order to replace the oxygen sensor (which may have just been the cause of my catalytic converter blowing a hole in itself) they will have to replace the exhaust manifold that they will have to break to remove the oxygen sensor. The cost of replacing the exhaust manifold and oxygen sensor was like $1,200. I have not yet done anything.

I was wondering if anyone else heard of a oxygen sensor getting so stuck it could not be removed? The mechanic says this happens in 1/20 cases, just my luck or some nonsense?

Thanks....Jason