'97 Es300 Cd Player Skipping Tracks

total1

'97 ES300 factory CD player

Second owner

Glove compartment CD player

I took a road trip recently and listened to some music and non-music CDs. I noticed that the CDs skipped from one track of a CD to the next CD, sometimes CD1, track 4 to CD2 track 1 or CD2 track 3 to CD3 track 1. I noticed that there was no difference in music non-music CDs. Some CDs were original music CDs and some non-music CDs were 'homemade' (not me). Hence, the quality of the CDs didn't seem to affect things.

What would cause this and what is a possible resolution?

PS: The sound system is not Nakamichi as I have a '98 ES300 with this and I also own a 97 ES300 but without a factory CD player. I've thought about interchanging things but I didn't know what the implications would be. BTW, the used car lot traded the 'original' radio with the one I have because the LCD lights were pretty bad on the original radio.

TIA!

I'm not sure that this is the fix required, but I would try one of those CD cleaner disks in the unit to see if the laser head is dirty and needs cleaning. It would seem to me that a dirty pickup lens would have a tough time tracking properly if the light beam wasn't able to reflect correctly and bounced off another set of grooves. Good Luck!