Cutting A Hole Behind The Armrest For More Bass.

I'm hooking up a sound system in my car soon. I'm installing a Double DIN poineer 7" Player,one JL Audio 12w6 with a JL Audio 500/1 Amp. The trunk will be fitted with dynamat, and I'm excited. However, I see in a alot of cars of which their reats seats don't fold down, I was wondering if it be wise that I cut a square hole behind the armrest section of my rear seats in my car. Now, I'm not too sure if this will affect the integrity of the Lexus quality seating, but if it doesn't, and if it won't hurt, and if it isn't too much of a hassle, I would like some advce or opinions on how I should tackle this task, or how I shouldn't tackle this task. Any words would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hooking up a sound system in my car soon. I'm installing a Double DIN poineer 7" Player,one JL Audio 12w6 with a JL Audio 500/1 Amp. The trunk will be fitted with dynamat, and I'm excited. However, I see in a alot of cars of which their reats seats don't fold down, I was wondering if it be wise that I cut a square hole behind the armrest section of my rear seats in my car. Now, I'm not too sure if this will affect the integrity of the Lexus quality seating, but if it doesn't, and if it won't hurt, and if it isn't too much of a hassle, I would like some advce or opinions on how I should tackle this task, or how I shouldn't tackle this task. Any words would be greatly appreciated.

theres a guy on CL who did it. i think it looks awful. just use the factory speaker whole for a port if your installing a box.

my trunk is fully done also....and i have a 6000w stereo system btw :) will FINALLY be done with 80% of it in the next month

I know in the LS, the gas tank is behind the rear seat, not sure about the GS though. Might want to look under the car first to make sure the tank isn't anywhere around the back of the back seat before cutting around....

I know in the LS, the gas tank is behind the rear seat, not sure about the GS though. Might want to look under the car first to make sure the tank isn't anywhere around the back of the back seat before cutting around....

um, a few things. one he wants to cut into the area where the rear armrest folds down. so he would be cutting into the leather to go INTO the trunk, not into the floor. 2nd gas tank on gs is UNDER back seat

similar to something like this

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...at-armrest.html

just use the stock sub opening to place your port... but it also depends on the type of box you're going to use... You can port through the armrest but you'll have to cut through that metal beam shown in the pics...

1.jpg

10.jpg

um.....u could JUST unbolt this beam instead of cutting through it you know

just use the stock sub opening to place your port... but it also depends on the type of box you're going to use... You can port through the armrest but you'll have to cut through that metal beam shown in the pics...

1.jpg

10.jpg

um.....u could JUST unbolt this beam instead of cutting through it you know

hahaha, you're right. I never considered it so i never gave it much thought. I'm gonna need your advice when it comes time to redo my current configuration... I've been out of the loop for a long time and I'm thinking of turning things up a notch... my temp system has been in for a year... time to upgrade is coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

i was thinking about doing this. because ive noticed this car seems to retain a lot of the bass in the trunk. i once placed my box right in the back seat, and there was a HUGE difference from when the box was closed off in the trunk. ever since i had the urge to get the bass into the cabin better. i dont know if id make that hole in the armrest. i have an 05 and unfortunately its closed off from the trunk also. other models have the opening in the armrest to the trunk.

well personally, i dont try to make such big mods that i cant put back, so i wouldnt. what i just recently did (have yet to try because no system in again yet) is i removed the stock sub, hopefully that will help. removing the stock sub isnt permanent and it should definitely be of some bass improvement. you should try that before you cut that hole. i just built a custom box to fit in the trunk of my 05 gs so that itl sit on the gas tank and port through where the stock sub was. should be getting it aoll in soon and hopefully itl sound good, but i would recommend that you try taking the stock sub out first, then if you dont like itt or think you could get more bass into the cabin make that hole in the armrest.