Audio Amp Failure In 07 Ls460

I took delivery of my 2007 LS460 today. Very happy.

On the way home I dropped in the David Gray CD into the ML and gave it a whirl. Reasonably loud but not over the top. A couple of songs later during an impressive bass line the audio stopped outputing music and started to make a sound not unlike a CD skipping. Except it now keeps making this sound all the time, even if the Audio system is turned of. Eject all of the CD's, select FM - still no difference. Turn the audio off - still it wont stop (and cannot be altered with the volume control - that has no effect.) Only way to stop it is to turn off the ignition.

Head end (Tuner / CD etc.,) all operate normally but with no output apart from this continous "ziiippp - click - ziiippp - click" noise.

It draws some impressive current as well - the "ziiippp - click - ziiippp - click" noise manages to modulate the interior lights with each ziiipp and click.

So it look as if the Power amp stage is very broken. Only way I can stop the noise is by pulling the 30A "AMP" fuse.

Any body had this fault?

On the way home I dropped in the David Gray CD into the ML and gave it a whirl. Reasonably loud but not over the top. A couple of songs later during an impressive bass line the audio stopped outputing music and started to make a sound not unlike a CD skipping. Except it now keeps making this sound all the time, even if the Audio system is turned of. Eject all of the CD's, select FM - still no difference. Turn the audio off - still it wont stop (and cannot be altered with the volume control - that has no effect.) Only way to stop it is to turn off the ignition.

Head end (Tuner / CD etc.,) all operate normally but with no output apart from this continous "ziiippp - click - ziiippp - click" noise.

It draws some impressive current as well - the "ziiippp - click - ziiippp - click" noise manages to modulate the interior lights with each ziiipp and click.

So it look as if the Power amp stage is very broken. Only way I can stop the noise is by pulling the 30A "AMP" fuse.

Any body had this fault?

Any body had this fault?

Your Amp is indeed cooked, had mine replaced in my 2007 about 6 months ago. Dealership probably doesn't have replacement in stock and will have to order.

Did yours fail in a similar way -i.e. while playing reasonably loud music? How long did the delivery of the new amp take?

I may have an amp for your 460, Post if interesred.

Thanks for the offer but as she is only two days old she is under warranty thus the dealer will be sourcing it. Hopefully that wont take to long!

Have you sold many of these / is it a common fault?

Never heard of 1 single problem with a 460.

Your Amp is indeed cooked, had mine replaced in my 2007 about 6 months ago. Dealership probably doesn't have replacement in stock and will have to order.

Did yours fail in a similar way -i.e. while playing reasonably loud music? How long did the delivery of the new amp take?

Yes, cranked the music up to about "40" and it died. Dealership (Lexus of Massapequa) ordered a replacement and had it in about a week. Installed it and has been fine ever since. Have even tried to blow it while car is still under warranty, without success.

• 7 months later...

Don't listen to lud music, but my amp had to be replaced at 33,000 in my 07 LS460L as well, under warranty. Service writers knew what the issue was immediately. Took 3 days to get the part and I drove a loner becaseu the noise will drive you batty.

Yes, cranked the music up to about "40" and it died. Dealership (Lexus of Massapequa) ordered a replacement and had it in about a week. Installed it and has been fine ever since. Have even tried to blow it while car is still under warranty, without success.

• 1 month later...

This just happened in my Black LS at 40,000 miles. I just bought the damn thing not even a week ago. Other than the speaker glich, it's the best car i've ever had!

My car has 31K miles and the same thing happened today after listening to music with volume at 49. How did you get the 30AMP fuse out? Owners manual refers to a fuse pull-out tool but Lexus help desk cannot tell me where to find it, and I can't get the fuse out with my fingers. Car is going to the dealer tomorrow but the sound is driving me crazy.

Any body had this fault?

How did you get the fuse out? I can't get it with my fingers.

If you have the sound of loud clicking, the fuse won't help. The amp is bad. The fuse tool, as I recollect, is in a fuse box under the hood. They don't tell you that, but you do need one to extract a fsue.

My car has 31K miles and the same thing happened today after listening to music with volume at 49. How did you get the 30AMP fuse out? Owners manual refers to a fuse pull-out tool but Lexus help desk cannot tell me where to find it, and I can't get the fuse out with my fingers. Car is going to the dealer tomorrow but the sound is driving me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you get the fuse out? I can't get it with my fingers.

You will find a fuse puller in the car's fuse compartment. Have a look at the on-line manual at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/owners-manual-search.do

Select “Owner’s Manual” for document; “fuse” for keyword; “LS460” for model and “2007” for year. Click on search. You will be given a short list of pdf documents. Click on

“2007 LS460/460L: Do-it-yourself maintenance (pdf)”

On page 530 of the pdf is the “Checking and replacing fuses” section. You should find everything you need there. The fuse pullout tool is in a fuse compartment.

Note: If the model selection drop down list doesn’t give you a list of models click on the “Online Owner’s Manual” link at the top left of screen. This will refresh this page and the drop down should now work.

My 2007 LS 460 L had this problem as well. When I cranked up the volume, the Audio System went dead. Had to shut off ignition to clear condition and reenable Audio System. My Lexus dealer replace the 450 watt Amp system and it has not failed since, and it has been nearly three months now. My dealer has been very helpful and professional.

Dealer replaced amp under warranty. Said original amps on the 2007 460 are defective. Have played music with volume well over 40 with new amp without an issue.

• 2 months later...

Well......why did this have to happen to me on a four hour drive in the rain? Had to stop and buy a fuse puller that did not work.....then stopped and bought a pair of needle nose pliers. Had to pull both 30 amp fuses to get the beep to stop. Sounded like a horrible cell phone alarm. Owned the car for two weeks and this will be the second time it's gone back to the dealer. I hope this is the last time other than normal service. I am going to make a list if TSBs for them to do while it's there.

My 460 has been at the dealer all week waiting on my new AMP to come in. It sucks owning a car for three weeks....and one of them its sitting at the dealer. I hope this is the last time I have an amp issue.....because I like to crank it up!! Why not....I paid for it!!!!