2001 Gs 300 Timing Belt

Does anyone have a good estimate at what I will be looking at in regard to total cost, to have the timing belt and water pump replaced? Also, if anyone has any good advice on addtional items to change out during this process, I'm all ears.

The dealer hear in VA charges about $1100 but I have a good mechanic and charged me about $850. I just had mine done about a month and half ago. Only additonal items, I would say are your spark plugs if you haven't had a tune up lateley. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Does anyone have a good estimate at what I will be looking at in regard to total cost, to have the timing belt and water pump replaced? Also, if anyone has any good advice on addtional items to change out during this process, I'm all ears.

I just has water pump timing belt replaced at $780.00. I don't know what is typical for this but the dealer quoted me $1200.00, a LexTech quoted $1100.

I also just had to have the starter replaced, lexus part, I paint $380.00 for that. I wonder if that is a typical cost? :whistles:

I got my parts from a toyota dealership... irontoad.com belts, cam seals, water pump, ect... paid $350 for labor. any competent mechanic can do it... its really not too difficult on our cars just make sure whoever does it is aware that your engine has vvti and is an interference engine.

• 10 months later...
I think you can find cheaper prices then that, i have my own mechanic shop, charge someone around 600

I paid $ 2 or 300 something for parts and I did it myself save $$$$$

I also did mine myself and was amazed at how easy the whole job was. I changed the water pump, timing belt, and tensioner all in a day's time and spent around 300 dollars for the whole repair. It was the easiest timing belt replacement I have done.

93 gs300.

I think you can find cheaper prices then that, i have my own mechanic shop, charge someone around 600

I paid $ 2 or 300 something for parts and I did it myself save $$$$$

How did you get the crank bolt off? Impact wrench or special tool.

• 4 weeks later...

cliffy's price sounds a lot better. or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself as well if you have the proper tools. its not really that hard for it. if you go on the IS forum of this site, it has the guide on how to do it.

cliffy's price sounds a lot better. or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself as well if you have the proper tools. its not really that hard for it. if you go on the IS forum of this site, it has the guide on how to do it.

I got a quote from an independent Lexus mechanic for around $1000 to replace timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal and idler bearing. Lexus quoted $990 "without" the waterpump. The local Toyota dealership said they would replace the timing belt for $375 and inspect the other parts and only replace if required.

Does anybody have an opinion on NOT changing the waterpump and seals if they seem to be fine. Is the waterpump prone to failure? Does anybody have a high mileage GS300 with the original waterpump? My GS300 is a 2001 and has 190K kms (118k miles).

personally i wouldnt chance it with the water pump. its a part that calls for replacement with the timing belt at the same time. as far the other seals, those arent a part of the timing belt/water pump maintenance.