04 Es330 Popping Noise From Behind Glovebox

hybridamp

My 2004 ES330 started making a very odd sound/noise today (90k mi) from behind the glovebox, sort of like a hamster is back there playing around. Clicking, Popping, Mechanical type sound. It happens whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the A/C is on/off, but when the A/C is working hard it is much more apparent. After searching around here it sounds very similar to the A/C servo issues that I found in the RX section... Does the ES300/ES330 suffer from this same servo problem? I guess I need to remove the glove box and start some diagnostics to figure it out, but I'm just not looking forward to doing so.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
My 2004 ES330 started making a very odd sound/noise today (90k mi) from behind the glovebox, sort of like a hamster is back there playing around. Clicking, Popping, Mechanical type sound. It happens whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the A/C is on/off, but when the A/C is working hard it is much more apparent. After searching around here it sounds very similar to the A/C servo issues that I found in the RX section... Does the ES300/ES330 suffer from this same servo problem? I guess I need to remove the glove box and start some diagnostics to figure it out, but I'm just not looking forward to doing so.

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. However, in my case it sounds more like a geiger counter than popping. Did you have any luck investigating?

Thanks.

Take the cabin filter out and check the fan below it. It is possible that there is some debris bouncing around on top of the fan.

i found on my wife's car that it was the linkage having to do with the temp selector. it was binding up & you could hear it moving/clicking. i found that when changing the temp, it would either stop or at least not be as noticeable. we havent changed it out since it looks like a pretty involved job.

I figured I would post an update. After a quick look under the glove box it appears that my servo/damper is the problem. I need to figure out the part number so that I can order a replacement and install it though; I'll update when I get time to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the old servo today with a new one, but I need to the let the wife drive it for a few days and then report back just to make sure that the sound doesn't return.

Replacement of the servo was pretty straight forward, aside from the third screw which is hard to get to even with a low-profile angled philips screw driver. Granted, I've been installing my own aftermarket audio gear for over a decade so keep that in mind if you're curious about the difficulty level since I did have prior experience with 12v electrical systems.

Just to clarify, does this noise kinda sound like a hamster wheel spinning?

Thats the noise I have...

No, it doesn't sound like that at all. It's a tapping sound. Sometimes sporadic but lately its been constant until I adjust the temp setting upward (above or at the outside temp displayed).

If memory serves me correct the servo cost me about $140 + tax/shipping depending on where you order it from. I can't find where I wrote the part number number down, but I should have it around here somewhere if I didn't throw the paper away by accident.

In my particular case it was the front passenger side air-mix control servo / damper, I could most easily manipulate the sound and actually watch it move its plastic arm when adjusting the pass side temp control setting to the extremes (max hot / max cold) with the controller in auto mode. The sound was present during normal use, but that's how I could make it worse in order to track the sound down when trying to determine which servo was making the noise. According to the dealer I talked to there are actually three servos for the A/C, two are located on the pass side and one somewhere else. Luckily only the one has made noise for me thus far, but from what I've read from the GS owners they have two that usually go bad... :(

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=53999

Plenty of threads from RX owners also:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=21392

• 4 months later...