Request For Tire Recommendation (2007 Is 250 Rwd)

Hello,

I bought a pre-owned IS250 and its tires need replacement. Also, I don't think these are the original tires.

May I ask how to find out the standard brand and model code associated with IS250's tires?

Would the performance significantly affected negatively if I do not use prescribed tires?

Thank you for your advise!

The tire specs are shown at http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/detailed_specifications.html

Use whatever brand of tire your want -- tires that have the characteristics you want. It is definitely not necessary to use the same brand and model that came on a car. For example, the tires that came on the first Lexus I bought were complete crap -- there was even a class action suit and a settlement award. The tires that came on my current Lexus were nothing to brag about. I replaced them with a different brand and model that I like a lot better for their handling characteristics.

Tire Rack ratings are a great place to start: http://www.tirerack.com I've bought most of the tires for our cars from Tire Rack for about the past 25 years.

Winter is coming up and you live in New York. You might want to consider buying a set of true mountain/snowflake logo winter tires -- makes a big difference when driving in snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I need to replace my tires (definitely the fronts for sure) and was wondering if the experts in the forum can help me. I have the following Bridgestone Potenza Re050 tires currently:

Front: 225/40R18 88Y

Rear: 255/40R18 95Y

My car has 25K miles on it and I bought it at 15K. I always felt like the ride was never smooth (especially the steering feedback). So I am looking at replacing all tires to see if that will help. I primarily drive for work (mostly highway) with few weekend long trips. Once in awhile I will switch to the paddles and have fun but now way am I a sports track kind of driver :D .

I live in North California and am wondering if I should stick with Summer tires or just switch to All Season tires. Apart from the tire recommendation I would also like to get some idea about where to purchase. I have done some Tire Rack shopping before and like their service, but I was also wondering if Costco had any good ones since they have good warranty & deals (buy 3 get one free etc).

Any recommendations??

TIA

Well I have an IS350 with the same sized rims and i'm running the Sumitumo HZR III. Compared to the stock Bridgestones these things are a godsend. I don't believe in putting on an expensive tires that i'll have to replace in a year. I drive my 350 hard so the rears do not last long on avarage, however these Sumitumo's have a better treadwear than the Bridgestone's. I like them because they are quiet, they are high performance summer tires that grip well and they don't get flat spots sitting in the garage over night. Overall they are a very good tire and made my car exceptionally smooth. I think I bought my rears for $135 a piece and the fronts for $106 a piece. They are an excellent tire for the money and will be more than enough for a 250 rwd.

Hi, I need to replace my tires (definitely the fronts for sure) and was wondering if the experts in the forum can help me. I have the following Bridgestone Potenza Re050 tires currently:

Front: 225/40R18 88Y

Rear: 255/40R18 95Y

My car has 25K miles on it and I bought it at 15K. I always felt like the ride was never smooth (especially the steering feedback). So I am looking at replacing all tires to see if that will help. I primarily drive for work (mostly highway) with few weekend long trips. Once in awhile I will switch to the paddles and have fun but now way am I a sports track kind of driver :D .

I live in North California and am wondering if I should stick with Summer tires or just switch to All Season tires. Apart from the tire recommendation I would also like to get some idea about where to purchase. I have done some Tire Rack shopping before and like their service, but I was also wondering if Costco had any good ones since they have good warranty & deals (buy 3 get one free etc).

Any recommendations??

TIA

Thanks for the info on the Sumitumo HZR III. Any particular store recommendations?

Discount Tire or TireRack if you want to buy online. However Discount Tire will price match TireRack. Do you get any snow where you live?

No Snow where I live, but Lake Tahoe is only 4 hrs away and I might make one trip during winter timeframe.

Thanks for the info on the Sumitumo HZR III. Any particular store recommendations?

Discount Tire or TireRack if you want to buy online. However Discount Tire will price match TireRack. Do you get any snow where you live?

No Snow where I live, but Lake Tahoe is only 4 hrs away and I might make one trip during winter timeframe.

Well I live in northern Illinois, not far from the border of Wisconsin. I'm not taking these off during the winter either. I used to drive a 2005 Lancer Evolution with the stock Yokohama Advans A046 during the winter. Nothing can be worse than that! People thought that because I had awd that i'd still be better off...wrong! If anything it was worse than just having straight fwd or rwd. All wheels were getting power and would never grip.

If your only planning to make one or two trips to Lake Tahoe then it's not worth it to get all winter or even all season tires.

Well I live in northern Illinois, not far from the border of Wisconsin. I'm not taking these off during the winter either. I used to drive a 2005 Lancer Evolution with the stock Yokohama Advans A046 during the winter. Nothing can be worse than that! People thought that because I had awd that i'd still be better off...wrong! If anything it was worse than just having straight fwd or rwd. All wheels were getting power and would never grip.

If your only planning to make one or two trips to Lake Tahoe then it's not worth it to get all winter or even all season tires.

Yes, even I am leaning towards the summer tires. As of now I am leaning towards the Sumitomo as they seem to be the best deal. I think I am fine if I have to change the tires in another 25K. For that price I might as well change tires (around 25K) than by an expensive tire and use it for longer periods. Thanks for all the comments!!

I went to order the Sumitomos on Tire Rack and upon adding it to the cart I got a notice saying that since these tires have a higher load capacity, it will lead to a harsher ride and some users will not like it. Since my wife also drives the car I do not want to get a stiff setup. Is the ride that harsher than the OEM potenzas on the sumitomos?

Yes, the ride will be harder. Higher load ratings are achieved with heavier or more cord plies giving stiffer sidewalls.

When i added the Sumitomo in the tire rack website I was presented with a note that this tire has higher load capacity than the OEM ones and will be have a harsher ride (for some). Has anyone noticed a major difference ? I definitely dont want a harsher than the potenzas.

To be honest like I said before I felt that the Sumitumo's ride better than the stock Bridgestones. I will never buy a Bridgestone tire after riding on the stock ones. It was a night and day difference between the two. I felt that the ride was the same as far as harshness is concerned but it overall felt smoother and more crisp than the potenza's. Even my dad noticed a difference as he loves comfort in his ride and never liked the ride of my is350 due to the harshness. He felt with the new tires it rode much better. It all comes down to tire pressue in the end.

When i added the Sumitomo in the tire rack website I was presented with a note that this tire has higher load capacity than the OEM ones and will be have a harsher ride (for some). Has anyone noticed a major difference ? I definitely dont want a harsher than the potenzas.

The Goodyear F1 Asymetrics have been awsome so far. I have about 16k miles on em and they look, sound and ride great. I came from Michelin Pilot Sports, which were also great tires, but they don't last as long and they also cost almost twice as much, and frankly, I just don't feel or hear any difference. The performance of these tires are every bit the Pilot Sports equal on the street.

Wanted to update everyone with my status...

I bought the Sumitomos from TireRack (as usual very good experience). Got them installed early last week and have driven them for few hundreds of miles. Here is my take on them:

- Definitely much much better handling

- Ride is actually smoother

- Feels like I can take turns at much higher speeds than the BS potenzas

- Best tires for the money hands down

Thanks to all for providing valuable information!!!

Told you. ;)

You couldn't give me the Potenza's for free.

Wanted to update everyone with my status...

I bought the Sumitomos from TireRack (as usual very good experience). Got them installed early last week and have driven them for few hundreds of miles. Here is my take on them:

- Definitely much much better handling

- Ride is actually smoother

- Feels like I can take turns at much higher speeds than the BS potenzas

- Best tires for the money hands down

Thanks to all for providing valuable information!!!

How about road noise coming into the car with the Sumitomos? I have the garbage Bridgestones on my is250 and they are horrible with road noise. Does anyone have a recommendation for a quiet good handling tire?

The Continental Extreme Contacts I got are much quieter than the original Dunlops were.

I think the noise ratings on Tire Rack are pretty reliable.

I'm just wondering what the life expectancy of the original tires (Bridgestone Potenza) that I got on my 2007 IS250 RWD. I do mostly Freeway driving and only have 14,000 miles on my 2 1/2 year old car. Will I (should I) at least get 20,000 - 25,000 miles?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just wondering what the life expectancy of the original tires (Bridgestone Potenza) that I got on my 2007 IS250 RWD. I do mostly Freeway driving and only have 14,000 miles on my 2 1/2 year old car. Will I (should I) at least get 20,000 - 25,000 miles?

Thanks

I've got a 2007 IS250 RWD with ~ 24K on the Potenzas. I do mixed freeway/city driving and I do not drive the car hard. I think I'll get about 30K out of them.