Need Advice On Jdm Engine

clegsone

I have been off the site for a couple of years because my 1993 LS400 has been running fine. Several weeks ago I was on an interstate, the water pump must have broke and I dumped all the coolant and screwed up the motor. I would like to purchase a JDM engine. I live in Florida, have a restoration shop and am capable of the engine change. What am I in for? Thanks for your reply. You have been very helpful in the past. Tom

Not quite sure what you are asking. That the JDM engines are good or bad? I have no idea. To replace the engine? Sure, just get a good used engine from a wrecker - a 93 doesn't warrant spending more than that.

Keep in mind that Lexus doesn't provide oversize pistons - not that these engines should ever need them - so the most a rebuild could have ( for a reasonable amount of money) would be a re-ring. And I doubt anyone even does that.

I have been off the site for a couple of years because my 1993 LS400 has been running fine. Several weeks ago I was on an interstate, the water pump must have broke and I dumped all the coolant and screwed up the motor. I would like to purchase a JDM engine. I live in Florida, have a restoration shop and am capable of the engine change. What am I in for? Thanks for your reply. You have been very helpful in the past. Tom

I would recommend Japan Engine Inc. 1-866-532-7878 or Engine world 1-800-903-4430. Good pricing, low mile, and a warranty.

you are in for quite a bit of a headache....the harness leading to the engine is different and probably the ecu

Doesn't matter, the majority of importers supply the harness and ECU with the engine. Even if they don't, the JDM engine's differences are emissions related, no EGR, VSV, and associated items. You can easily remove all these on a US engine anyway so there's nothing to make the swap any harder. I looked at several JDM 1UZs locally when I was planning an upgrade on my own car, the majority of the wiring is identical. The most important thing to look for is the lower mileage, mainly because the harness won't be charbroiled as badly and all the clips won't break when removing them. You'll also find a JDM engine is a little cleaner without the EGR system, the plenums on some of them aren't coated black like a US engine would be.

Why not? JDM motors are just as readily available, usually have less mileage, and are considerably cleaner overall inside. If you're buying a 220k mile US engine you're looking at a good overhaul and cleaning before installing it unless you just don't care. A JDM engine will have 1/4 the miles and wear on it. The only thing you'd need to do to make it visually emissions legal is swap the intake manifold, which should be hot tanked and cleaned anyway while it's off, so there's no effort there. If not, it passes emissions fine in any state with just the catalytic converters in place.

I know of three importers locally who each have three or four of these things. They're just as easy to track down as a clean US engine.

Ive had great luck with jdm motors. It would be better to find a jdm 1uz due to the low mileage that you can't find here. There will be a complication with the EGR and some other emissions/vacumms, but it should be good and would recommend it.

I put a jdm motor in a supra and it ran great.

If pressed to keep EGR, all you do is swap the upper intake plenum, and bolt the EGR pipe on. Nothing else is required. There seems to be a lot of confusion here as to the JDM engines being heavily different, they're not.