Rx 330 Leather Seats

tight_ride

My husband and I just purchased a new RX 330 3 weeks ago and have discovered something about the leather seats. There is a discoloration on the front seats, especiallly the driver seat. It seems as though the color from our trousers/pants is wearing off on the seats. Is this common and has anybody experienced this?! If so, it's pretty disappointing that we spent so much money on a car that has what seems like cheap leather. I asked a friend of mine who has had a Volvo for 2 years and she said she has not experienced this with her car and feels I should contact the dealership. I wanted to get some input before doing so.

Tan interior right? Or maybe grey?

This is very common and it is happening because Lexus has switched to an uncoated leather. Its a higher quality leather than in your friend's Volvo which has a coated leather, leather sprayed with a clearcoat. Unfortunately a lot of times higher quality means more delicate.

Its actually pretty easy to clean off, just mix up some Woolite and Water in a spray bottle, dilluted 6:1 and spray it liberally onto the seat, spread it wround with your hands and let it work for a minute or so, then wipe the seat off with a damp cloth and dry with a dry one. May take a few tries but it will come off.

I've even heard in a few rare cases where its so bad Lexus will replace the leather.

Thanks SW03ES for the great advice. What you're saying makes sense. Actually my husband is taking the car in tomorrow to get it checked out. The service tech. assigned to us wants to have a look at it. He said the discoloration is something that can happen to the seats if the car is older, but it shouldn't be happening to a new car. I think they're going to try to clean it off and if that doesn't work, they're going to replace the leather...hopefully. I'll definately keep the woolite/water suggestion in mind. Yeah, is it 6 parts water to 1 part woolite or the other way around?!

This happened in both my 96 Maxima and my 2000 RX 300 (although to a much lesser degree than in the Maxima).

Perhaps use of a small hand towel/or a small seat pad to protect seats from those oh so new/dark blue jeans etc. could be an answer.

Does Lexus offer professionally applied leather protection? Even if they did, often times the problem with sprays/protective rubs are that they darken the leather.

I did find an EXCELLENT leather cleaner (took dried on ball point ink COMPLETELY off without discoloration) which I got from Macy's with my leather sectional sofa called "Worry No More" by Leather master. I have not; however, tried same in the car (getting rid of the Max and I am not going to waste this liquid gold on a car I am trading in.)

I am sure there are many good products out there, but many contain wax as a primary ingredient, which of course builds up over time...and if applied too heavily, comes off on ones clothing.

Good thread, glad I read this because now I might change my mind on the interior color I want. SWO - I assume your interior is black (from your picture)? Any problems with the black rubbing off on your clothes??