Iacv Where Is It? (please Be Gentle)

cottinghamaaron

1st post here. :D I have a 92 ls400 238k. I am wanting to clean the throttle body and check the IACV on Saturday. I am having trouble with idle and getting it to run for more than 5 seconds. I will get into this more if I cant trace it down over the weekend.

But my real question is I have searched and searched for an actual location of the IACV. Have not been able to find a pic for the ls4 location or a good description of were it is. I seem to be able to find info on other models no luck on mine. Starting to wonder if this part even exist.

Please help

Thanks

Aaron

Thanks for the info.

A little background info first. Just bought this 92 LS400. Had been sitting for about a year. When I went to look at it was sitting in the weeds. Battery dead of course so put in another fires right up. But the gas light is on so not put fuel in tank. We still drive it up the road runs great. Give the man his money all good. A week later I go to pick it up put a few gallons of gas in the tank and start on the way home about a 20 mile drive. Get probably 5 miles from the guys house notice it sputter some. You can floor it dosent make a difference for about 5 seconds then it takes off like a banchee. Keeps doing this the whole way getting worse and worse. Pull in to the drive way cuts off by its self. Start it back up and am able to back it in to its new parking spot. And the s.o.b is still sitting in the same damn spot. Try to start it will run for few seconds and shut off. (sounds just like what another person was talking about happening to theirs)

Now What I have done so far:

Cleaned the throttle body (new this would not fix it did it to rule it out)

Put in new fuel filter. while changing it tried to start got no fuel to come out.

Pull the cover on the gas tank. I have 14 volts at the cover. But do not hear the pump kick on.

Have not pulled the pump yet did all this today ran out of time.

Questions are and any other info much appreciated.

1. Since I have power while trying to start at the cover does this rule out a bad relay?

2. Would driving it while close to empty be a cause for the pump to go. Because of old gas maybe water and debris?

I guess I will pull the pump on Sunday to see if I have power down at the pump.

Kind of planned on this being somewhat of a project anyway. Had to sell my Audi A6 twin turbo 6spd about a year ago :angry: . Will post pics if anyone interested This is somewhat of a replacement.

I guess I will pull the pump on Sunday to see if I have power down at the pump.

I would invest $10-20 (Harbor Freight had one on sale last week for $9.99) and get a fuel pump pressure gauge before removing the pump. You need to know if proper fuel pressure exists at injectors. That could be pump, pump electrical (relay, fuse, connectors, wires), fuel filter, or pressure regulator. A cheap guage will give you an accurate answer, looking at the pump probably won't tell you much.

hi i bought a 1993 ls400 and it was doing the same thing as yours...spuddering and wouldnt run very good at all...i bought my car for 250.00 because of this...the guy had all types of mechanics look at the tranny, compression,fuel etc...even a lexus mechanic!! all i did was adjusted the TPS and it ran perfect...such a simple thing... but that caused the car not to idle and it to run like sh*t!!! Give this a shot because it might just be what is wrong...you have two round cylinders off of your intake the one closest is your TPS and the other is your trac control...simply loosen the two phillips screws while it is running and turn it clockwise to adjust the idle you will hear the idle rev. up..tighten the scews and give it a test drive...this sounds exactly like what happened to mine! Good luck and let us know if this helps!!

The problem is I cannot get it to idle for more than a few seconds IF I can get it to start at all. (dont think its getting fuel)

I tried to start it when I had the fuel filter off and got no fuel to pump out of the line.

I took out the fuel pump since it is simple to get to. Hooked it up to 12 volts and the pump does not run.

Im pretty sure its the pump at this point. I will mess with it more tomorrow to make sure.

If I get a pump would you suggest getting one at the junk yard for $75 or get one at Napa for $175 including mesh filter.

I went to look at the seats. They were the wrong color. He has another ls4 coming in this week. The car I looked at was a cash for clunkers car. The man drove it to his salvage yard and the next day they came and put the crap in the engine to ruin it. The car only had 116k on it and was in pretty good shape. Made me sick. Wish I could have switched my 238k engine for that one before they came to ruin it.