Problems With Timing Belt...maybe Not...

R30

I have a 1994 Lexus GS300, when I turn the key it makes this awefull noise but nobody seems to know what is going on...at first it sounded like it was the timing belt, took it off and then replaced it...same noise still existed..its like a screech..it drives fine, the noise dosnt exist while driving except when I turn the air conditioner on ..then its constant ...(although at 199,000.) Maybe it could be the air compressor?? Im no mechanic..and Id hate to spend a lot of money to a garage if "they cant seem to find the problem" or "well have to take it apart to see whats wrong"....

Thanks for all the help...

Whoever replaced the timing belt had it apart enough to find out what's wrong. It will be a bearing, in one of the driven items in the timing belt or serpentine belt circuit. Not a big deal.

Whoever replaced the timing belt had it apart enough to find out what's wrong. It will be a bearing, in one of the driven items in the timing belt or serpentine belt circuit. Not a big deal.

If it happens to be the bearing for the serpentine belt, rather than spending $170 on the serpentine belt tensioner assembly, you can replace the bearing for less than $20. On my 2001GS300 it uses bearing part number 6203DUL1, can't say that will be the same for the year in question but the bearing is fairly easy to pound out and replace. I just did this, every once in awhile I could hear a squeal with windows down. With the serpentine belt off you can spin each pulley, you can usually tell if a bearing is bad.

My husband and I replaced the belt, but didnt know what to do next....