93 Es300 Missing At Idle

lexuses

Folks, I've got a '93 ES problem that has me stumped. I can adjust the timing and it sits just right when in Park at idle speed. But as soon as I shift into R or D, I get a fluctuation of idle speed of about +- 100-150 RPM. The speed goes up and down every couple of seconds. As you can imagine this is very annoying at street lights, etc. Can anybody tell me which sensors might be affecting my idle speed when in gear. Whichever one it is it's not affecting my idle speed in Park. Thanks.

It may be a longshot, but I'm gonna suggest the PCV valve; cheap part and it does make a difference in how the car idles. I forgot to install mine when I put the engine back together after doin the head gaskets and it wouldn't hardly idle at all. I also broke one and it'd idle irregularly unless I held it together just right and then it'd idle just fine. Also, unless you've got a check engine light, I wouldn't think you'd have any codes to read would you? I know that there's an idle speed adjuster thingy (don't know its technical name) that works in conjunction with the A/C system...I guess it's a possibility too. Just tryin to make some suggestions here. Hope ya find it! ;)

Sure! It's on the rear cylinder bank valve cover; go to the passenger side and look down beneath the intake and up under there somewhere you'll see a little white pipe coming outta the valve cover with a hose attached to it. It should have a metal base; this is your PCV valve. It's a :censored: to get out sometimes (just supposed to pull upward on it with a pair of vice grips or such) and it'll eventually come out, but most of em put up a fight. Once removed, you can test it by blowing on the part that was inside the valve cover and seeing if it allows air to pass through that end but not from the opposite end. Even if it does pass this test, I'd go ahead and replace it b/c they're really cheap anyhow.