Winter Tires - 17" Or 18"

Hi all,

Just joined this forum.

I bought a new 2008 RX400h last April. I live in Montreal and need winter tires, but don't want to pay the $3500 quoted by the Dealer. This price includes new rims, tires, sensors, and taxes.

Questions:

- can I install 17" on steel rims, (knowing that I cannot use sensors in steel wheels)? Will I face any major problems?

- how about installing 17" on aluminum rims with sensors?

- and finally, if I have to install 18" on aluminum with sensors, can Costco (or similar outfits) mount the tires and the sensors properly?

Thanks.

Hi,

You may want to consider some options from this company. I bought four rims from them for an LS400 and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the rims and the price. They have both 17 & 18" rims to fit your RX400h. 5x114.3 I'd call them to verify fitment before ordering.

18" RX Wheel

Hey there fellow Canadian.

I just got winter tires last winter for my 400h (although mine is a 2006 without sensors).

I went to my local Lexus dealer and they say 235/65/17 would also work (and there are more choices in this size).

I took this info to my local tire store and got a set of 17" generic rims with Kumho KW19 in 235/65/17 for $1100 with tax and install.

Also, they did a rim fitament test before to make sure it fits.

As for steel rims, there are no steel rims that would clear the brakes.

post-74421-1252527163_thumb.jpg