Heavy White Smoke Now When Starting... Ps Pump Is Shot! Damage To

90LS400Lexus

Hi 90LS, Sorry you're having so much trouble with you car. I think the advice to tap it and thread another fitting may work. Also, to get out the broken piece from the rubber end you could probably use a hot air blower or something similar - like a blow drier to soften the rubber before trying to pull the broken piece out. Probably should have done that before trying to disconnect it in the beginning. That's not helping the present situation though.

If you do try to tap the broken end, you may want to take off the entire plastice piece to do it because you will wind up with plastic crap inside there andyou don't want that stuff getting into your engine!

HTH

Thanks. Yeah, thats what we are going to do. As the photos show below, I started on it this evening, but it was getting dark. I managed to get the car on the ramps and removed the under engine cover. I was/am amazed at the mess under there. Fluid everywhere and even splattered up in the wheelwell on that side and even has leaked out on the inside of the RF tire, as the photos below show! It may not be visible, but it appears to me that at least from what I can see that the fluid has not been running down on the alternator, as it dont have any visible fluid on it and I think if it was leaking that bad and running down in it, that it would be coming out of the bottom? Maybe now that I am getting this now and plugging that valve, I will be OK. I was having a dim "brake" warning coming on and someone said that was a sign of early alternator failure, but the light went out 4 months ago and had not done that again. I am not sure though if that means there is still not fluid in the alternator, but it looks like there is not. I guess I should take a bag and cover that side of the alternator before removing that valve? How do those hoses come off? Clamps? Well, here are the MESSY photos and I will post more as we progress! Ugh, when I started the car, I had forgot to plug that valve on the intake and the car would hardly even run. I plugged it best I could temporarily and the car sputtered and bucked, but I finally got it on the ramps.

Car is on the dirty part of the driveway where my dad does his stonework, so the mess will be OK.... lol.

031.jpg

sprayed this down with degreaser.....

033-1.jpg

even when I got it on the ramps, it was still gushing fluid...

035-1.jpg

036-2.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

038-1.jpg

047.jpg

I am assuming those two hoses that can be seen above the alternator are what get removed and the plug under them? Should we completely remove those hoses or just let them stay there? Something else hold them in place?

049.jpg

052.jpg

nosey cat.... :)

061.jpg

new fan bracket bearing can be seen.... :)

053.jpg

Now I am being told by someone else on the other LS site that its not as simple as removing like this from underneath without removing alot more stuff (fan, pulleys, etc) and its not even the thing I thought had to be removed. I am so confused now. After someone else on there said otherwise that all was needed was to remove the underpanel, and unscrew the valve and screw in the plug... all I had to do was simply remove the valve from underneath. I cant tell you how much this frustrates me. I have been told so many different stories on other sites about this valve, I dont even know what to do.

I am not dealing with it anymore. Im done. :angry:

The only other thing is dig out my savings account and get the Toyota tech I know do it - then sell it. If mom wants it, she better get it. If not, I am selling it. I am over this car. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the replies.

...I am not dealing with it anymore. Im done. :angry: ...

You've come too far to quit now!!! You're making good progress.

I reread most of the thread from the start. It seems what started as a white smoke in exhaust caused by fluid leaking by the idle up valve (also called air control valve (ACV)) in the PS pump has morphed into something more. Just fixing the ACV (either by replacing the valve in the PS pump or blocking/plugging the lines to the intake manifold) won't fix the leak.

Now you have the engine pan off the bottom can you see where this leak is? Given the amount of fluid present there must be a sizeable leak either in the pump, the hoses or the steering rack. If the pump is leaking in addition to a faulty ACV then maybe its better to replace the PS pump with a rebuilt one (as you noted early on in the thread). If the leak is a hose that is straight forward to fix. If it’s the steering rack then you might be creeping into the too expensive to bother zone.

The way I see it:

1. Faulty idle up valve (also called air control valve (ACV)), and leaking PS Pump -> install rebuilt pump (with new ACV in it)
  2. Faulty ACV and leaky PS hose, -> plug ACV lines to intake manifold and PS pump and replace broken PS hose/line(s)
  3. Faulty ACV and leaking steering rack -> don't fix and sell the car for parts

I agree, but I understand your frustration.

I think you need to back up a little and try to determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. Get some rags and try to dry things up as best you can from the PS pump down. Once dry, start the car for a little while and see if that allows you to see where the fluid is coming from. It's hard to know with everything so wet in there. Before you can start doing anything, you have to know where the fluid is coming from.

Hang in there, the car is up on the stand and the bottom is off. You're on your way.

OMG... I was so sure it was the idle up valve.. at least thats what I have been told. Why do you suspect its something else... because of all of the fluid?

I am so confused now. All I know is that the fluid appears to be coming from under the pump... because I had let the car set for a few days and as you can see in the photo that fluid "drip" is right under the pump area... I dont think the steering rack would cause the drip that far up would it? I thought it was further back. All else I know to do is get that Toyota mechanic I know check it and get more money out of my savings (that was supposed to go for my surgery) and get him to fix it, then I will sell it. I dont want my mom in this POS. Now I wish I had of taken it into cash for clunkers because thats what it is.

If its the rack, I am screwed. I cant afford that... as mentioned, I have a small loan against the car... about $2300 owed. I cant get that much for it parting it out. I am really depressed now. :( Maybe a tree will fall on this $3200 (what I paid) POS. :angry:

Oh well. <_<

Thanks for the replies.

...I am not dealing with it anymore. Im done. :angry: ...

I reread most of the thread from the start. It seems what started as a white smoke in exhaust caused by fluid leaking by the idle up valve (also called air control valve (ACV)) in the PS pump has morphed into something more. Just fixing the ACV (either by replacing the valve in the PS pump or blocking/plugging the lines to the intake manifold) won't fix the leak.

Now you have the engine pan off the bottom can you see where this leak is? Given the amount of fluid present there must be a sizeable leak either in the pump, the hoses or the steering rack. If the pump is leaking in addition to a faulty ACV then maybe its better to replace the PS pump with a rebuilt one (as you noted early on in the thread). If the leak is a hose that is straight forward to fix. If it’s the steering rack then you might be creeping into the too expensive to bother zone.

The way I see it:

1. Faulty idle up valve (also called air control valve (ACV)), and leaking PS Pump -> install rebuilt pump (with new ACV in it)
  2. Faulty ACV and leaky PS hose, -> plug ACV lines to intake manifold and PS pump and replace broken PS hose/line(s)
  3. Faulty ACV and leaking steering rack -> don't fix and sell the car for parts

I agree, but I understand your frustration.

I think you need to back up a little and try to determine exactly where the fluid is coming from. Get some rags and try to dry things up as best you can from the PS pump down. Once dry, start the car for a little while and see if that allows you to see where the fluid is coming from. It's hard to know with everything so wet in there. Before you can start doing anything, you have to know where the fluid is coming from.

Hang in there, the car is up on the stand and the bottom is off. You're on your way.

OMG... I was so sure it was the idle up valve.. at least thats what I have been told. Why do you suspect its something else... because of all of the fluid?

I am so confused now. All I know is that the fluid appears to be coming from under the pump... because I had let the car set for a few days and as you can see in the photo that fluid "drip" is right under the pump area... I dont think the steering rack would cause the drip that far up would it? I thought it was further back. All else I know to do is get that Toyota mechanic I know check it and get more money out of my savings (that was supposed to go for my surgery) and get him to fix it, then I will sell it. I dont want my mom in this POS. Now I wish I had of taken it into cash for clunkers because thats what it is.

If its the rack, I am screwed. I cant afford that... as mentioned, I have a small loan against the car... about $2300 owed. I cant get that much for it parting it out. I am really depressed now. :( Maybe a tree will fall on this $3200 (what I paid) POS. :angry:

Oh well. <_<

Thanks for the replies.

My guess is you have two problems. The original white smoke is caused by the ACV leaking fluid that eventually gets into intake manifold and creates the white smoke. That wouldn't create the wet mess you have in engine compartment (unless vacuum hose is leaking down there). Then if you are pretty sure its leaking at the pump then putting in a new PS pump would presumably solve the leak (probably seal on main pump shaft is gone) and the ACV (since you'll get a new one in the rebuilt pump)

I think you said that was about $130 for rebuilt pump. That’s not too bad if you can install it yourself or beg a friend to help..

My guess is you have two problems. The original white smoke is caused by the ACV leaking fluid that eventually gets into intake manifold and creates the white smoke. That wouldn't create the wet mess you have in engine compartment (unless vacuum hose is leaking down there). Then if you are pretty sure its leaking at the pump then putting in a new PS pump would presumably solve the leak (probably seal on main pump shaft is gone) and the ACV (since you'll get a new one in the rebuilt pump)

I think you said that was about $130 for rebuilt pump. That’s not too bad if you can install it yourself or beg a friend to help..

Thanks. Well, I was under the impression (or I have been told my others) that a bad idle up valve causes the PS fluid to be sucked in the intake, as well as external leaks under the car... does the ICV valve (or whatever the piece of crap is called) itself not allow fluid to leak out under the car when it goes bad?

Seems like there are so many different opinions on Lexus power steering systems I dont even know if I am coming or going.

May have to go the new pump route, then block the ICV on it, but if its the rack (like someone else said), then I am out. Out bigtime. I cant afford a new PS pump, have it installed, then another $$$ for a steering rack.

Thanks. My dad said he WOULD help me tackle this tomorrow if I could email him some info on how to remove and plug this idle up valve.

Can ANYONE please tell me, or give me a link with step by step instructions and tools needed to remove and plug the idle up valve on a gen 1 LS400? I searched google and found two, but neither have anything to do with the idle up valve. :rolleyes: Anyone have photos of the actual valve? Seems like what I thought was it, is not it at all.

Thanks so much!

fwiw, this is what I thought had to come out and be plugged... it appears to be leaking here.... (circled in red)

049-1.jpg

as you can see though, its messy above that too... unless the air has blown it up???

059.jpg

The item circled in red is the idle up valve. It was sending PS fluid to your intake manifold. It also looks like it has an external leak.

Here is what I posted earlier about changing the valve:

I suppose you mean the under engine cover or the splash shield. Yes, it needs to come off and then the valve can be reached from the bottom. You will need a 17mm open end wrench. You might need a short (stubby) wrench, a long one might not be able to access it. I used both. It was too tight to break loose with the stubby and I was just barely able to get the long one in there to break it loose and then used the stubby the rest of the way.

When you take the valve out, the fluid will pour out of the hole so be sure to cover your alternator with a piece of plastic and be sure to put a catch bucket underneath.

I have never blocked one before so I do not know if you need some type of special bolt or just one that fits the hole. If the fluid is actually leaking from your valve, then this might fix your problem.

But I recommend putting it back like factory if at all possible.

It is not that difficult to do. You do not need to pull anything else loose. When you get it out, match the threads with a bolt of the same size and plug up the hole. I have never blocked one before but it should work.

Jerry

By the way, your LS is not a POS. It is a car that requires maintenance like any other car. The longer you delay to do maintenance the more problems build up. Cars get old, they require maintenance, that is just the way it is.

The 1st Generation LS400 was a very reliable trouble free car, but ANY car, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW all require maintenance. Just because you do not want to do the maintenance does not mean your car is a POS.

ANY car nearing the 200k mark is going to need some maintenance. You have a good car.

I have a 91 and I am looking for another one.

In the last year I have changed:

distributor coil

brake rotors

lower ball joints

outer tie rods

air control valve

transmission mount

engine mount

plugs

wires

rotors and caps

climate control LCD

repaired speaker

It still needs the upper control arm bushings replaced, the rear control arm bushings replaced, a paint job, timing belt, crank and cam seals and numerous other things and I do not feel my car is a POS.

The Lexus LS 400 is a very comfortable, smooth driving, dependable car. You can't get much more dependable than a Toyota or Lexus.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry and thanks for the confidence in my car. :) Well, I copied and pasted your info in an email to my dad... he is going to try to do it for me tomorrow... I hurt my back the other night when I was under the car.

What had me confused is that someone on the other Lexus site has told me totally different than what you have told me. They said that was not the idle-up valve (what I had in red) and that it had to be accessed from the top and I had to remove the radiator hoses, fan, fan clutch, move over the alternator, etc and it had me so confused. Then someone else told him that they did it the way you said, so we are going that route. I am just going to use the 14x1.5 plug as recommended. I guess it should be lined with teflon tape or something?

Another thing that has me confused is that I thought the idle up valve was ALSO causing the external leak (dripping) under the car. I had no idea that was a totally seperate issue. I have no idea whats causing that if its not the idle-up valve.

----------------------------------------

I guess I just feel the car is a POS because I have had other higher mileage and older cars that have not had these issues this car has had (motor mount replacements are costly - it needs those, valve cover gasket replacements are costly and difficult to change... it needs those too. These cars are complex and parts are expensive and certain things on these cars are so hard to do, where they are so easy on others.

It just seems this car needs more than other cars I have had at this age and mileage. My 1990 LS400 had nearly 260K when I sold it and I didnt have the power steering problems with it that I have with this LS. Maybe they had been addressed by the PO already? I did have radio problems with that car though. Mechanically, this 1991 I have now is fine... engine and transmission are sound... no leaks or oil burning, etc. I do have that lifter noise starting though. Maybe its not a POS and its my anger talking.... because I am really frustrated over this. I have owned over 50 cars since the early 90s and I have never had one frustrate me as much as this.

Its not that I dont want to, or I am not servicing the car... I am.... I am doing a little as I can. I just replaced the tranny mount (replaced that ourselves) and recently the fan bracket bearing replaced.... that costed me a fortune and seems like its one thing after the other. After this PS deal, it will then need valve cover gaskets and lifters/valves adjusted, then engine mounts and soon front rotors turned. Its not that I dont want to do the maintainence... its just I cant afford all of this costly stuff - I have three other very reliable cars but insurance and gas is costly (and I cant part with those cars). Maybe I was foolish to buy another LS and should have stuck with a 1985 Buick Century. ;) I just want to get this car up to par for my mom, as she wants it... why, I dont know. Sure its more attractive than her 1997 Oldsmobile, but personally, that car is alot cheaper to maintain and service.

I have two nearly 40 year old GM cars that dont leak a drop of anything and I only recently had to replace the original valve cover gaskets.

I guess I should have stuck with my 1993 Camry or 1991 Accord.... never no leaks with those, but I know the 4-cyl Camrys had bad oil leak issues. I had a 93 Camry with 220K, no leaks, a 1991 Accord with 212K, no leaks.... even a 1985 Mercedes with 280K, but it did end up having to get a new seal in the steering box.

The older LS400s had PS leak issues... all have had or will soon have. Poor design. IMO, there should have been/be a recall.

Thanks for the info... we will try that replacement and see what happens, but like I said, I think I am losing most of my fluid from wherever the external leak is and I dont know what it is.... like I said, I thought the idle up valve was causing that too. <_<

The item circled in red is the idle up valve. It was sending PS fluid to your intake manifold. It also looks like it has an external leak.

Here is what I posted earlier about changing the valve:

I suppose you mean the under engine cover or the splash shield. Yes, it needs to come off and then the valve can be reached from the bottom. You will need a 17mm open end wrench. You might need a short (stubby) wrench, a long one might not be able to access it. I used both. It was too tight to break loose with the stubby and I was just barely able to get the long one in there to break it loose and then used the stubby the rest of the way.

When you take the valve out, the fluid will pour out of the hole so be sure to cover your alternator with a piece of plastic and be sure to put a catch bucket underneath.

I have never blocked one before so I do not know if you need some type of special bolt or just one that fits the hole. If the fluid is actually leaking from your valve, then this might fix your problem.

But I recommend putting it back like factory if at all possible.

It is not that difficult to do. You do not need to pull anything else loose. When you get it out, match the threads with a bolt of the same size and plug up the hole. I have never blocked one before but it should work.

Jerry

By the way, your LS is not a POS. It is a car that requires maintenance like any other car. The longer you delay to do maintenance the more problems build up. Cars get old, they require maintenance, that is just the way it is.

The 1st Generation LS400 was a very reliable trouble free car, but ANY car, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW all require maintenance. Just because you do not want to do the maintenance does not mean your car is a POS.

ANY car nearing the 200k mark is going to need some maintenance. You have a good car.

I have a 91 and I am looking for another one.

In the last year I have changed:

distributor coil

brake rotors

lower ball joints

outer tie rods

air control valve

transmission mount

engine mount

plugs

wires

rotors and caps

climate control LCD

repaired speaker

It still needs the upper control arm bushings replaced, the rear control arm bushings replaced, a paint job, timing belt, crank and cam seals and numerous other things and I do not feel my car is a POS.

The Lexus LS 400 is a very comfortable, smooth driving, dependable car. You can't get much more dependable than a Toyota or Lexus.

Jerry

Well, he was gonna take it off today, but I had not confirmed with him that was the idle-up valve. I sent him the photo (his reply was "its gonna be a sob to get off of there") lol, but he is gonna try tomorrow. Well see. I hope that also stop my leak. I cant imagine what else could be leaking.

So... does the idle-up valve not cause external leaks?

When the idle up valve goes out, it has an internal leak and the vacuum sucks the fluid into the intake, but also the pressure from the pump could force the fluid into the intake. But I do not see why it could not also have an external leak. There is a lot of pressure coming from the pump, if the vacuum hoses are not tight, (mine weren't) the fluid could leak from the vacuum hoses giving you an external leak. The valve itself could have a crack in it causing an external leak. Who knows?

Just get it changed or blocked and go from there. Of course, there could also be more than one leak.

I was fortunate, mine was just internal, (engine smoking). After I changed the valve everything is fine.

JP

Thanks. Well, mine is both. It initially started out as only a minor external leak when I bought the car in November of 2007... it was OK until winter 2008... it leaked more fluid in the winter on colder days... if it was warm, there were no issues. Then summer 09 it started leaking even when hot outside, then only a couple of months ago, it started smoking when I would start it... then it got worse and worse, then the external leak got worse as well.

IN FACT, it seems like then the smoking started, is also when I noticed heavier leaks under it.

Yes, we will block it off and go from there... and see what happens.

I'm really confused as to how this has gone on for five pages. The valve unscrews from the bottom of the pump really easily, I removed mine with the pump in the car, bolted to the engine, then threaded the plug right back in. It's not enough room to climb in and have lunch, but I have reasonably big hands and had no problem doing it.

The valve cover gaskets are equally easy as well, they're both fully accessible from the top, only the intake tube needs to be removed from the passenger side. Replace the spark plug tube seals and valve cover securing bolt washers too while you're in there, they dry out from the extreme heat just as quickly.

Next, you mentioned a dim brake warning light. Unplug the fluid level indicator on the brake master cylinder for a few days to see if it quits. Mine did the same thing, it would flicker, light dimly, stay on, all kinds of things, the fluid level sensor is bad. I unplugged it for now, I maintain my car well so I'll know when it gets low, it's easy to just peak in and view it once in a while without seeing the light come on all the time.

I think you're letting it get to you without really thinking a clear plan of attack first. Calm down, take a breath. It's a big engine in a tight space but everything is relatively easy on this car to do, and it's built better than anything GM could ever roll off the line. True, parts are expensive, but gaskets and tune up stuff can be bought aftermarket and everything is laid out to make it serviceable to a point.

And while I agree a Camry or Accord has an easier to service engine, I doubt either of your cars ran that mileage without leaks. You may not have seen them, but I've never worked on a car with mileage over 100k that wasn't leaking somewhere, even a little. Rear main seals begin to leak on virtually every car built at some point but you'll never see the leak as the oil is contained within the bellhousing.

An '85 Buick Century? Come on man, would you really enjoy replacing alternators monthly? The old 2.8L V6 is notorious for eating alternators like they're candy, I knew a guy who kept a spare one with tools and a belt in his '87 Celebrity he got so used to changing it.

You have a very good car, you just need to realize nothing lasts forever. If the previous owner neglected things on it, it's now in your lap. No car is free from some issues, no matter how good it is.

lol. Running to work, so no time to reply to all, but the thread went so long because I was being told one thing here and something else somewhere else. ;)

The dim brake light stopped about 2 months ago. So obviously that was not the alternator. It also appears to not have fluid on it.

I'm really confused as to how this has gone on for five pages. The valve unscrews from the bottom of the pump really easily, I removed mine with the pump in the car, bolted to the engine, then threaded the plug right back in. It's not enough room to climb in and have lunch, but I have reasonably big hands and had no problem doing it.

The valve cover gaskets are equally easy as well, they're both fully accessible from the top, only the intake tube needs to be removed from the passenger side. Replace the spark plug tube seals and valve cover securing bolt washers too while you're in there, they dry out from the extreme heat just as quickly.

Next, you mentioned a dim brake warning light. Unplug the fluid level indicator on the brake master cylinder for a few days to see if it quits. Mine did the same thing, it would flicker, light dimly, stay on, all kinds of things, the fluid level sensor is bad. I unplugged it for now, I maintain my car well so I'll know when it gets low, it's easy to just peak in and view it once in a while without seeing the light come on all the time.

I think you're letting it get to you without really thinking a clear plan of attack first. Calm down, take a breath. It's a big engine in a tight space but everything is relatively easy on this car to do, and it's built better than anything GM could ever roll off the line. True, parts are expensive, but gaskets and tune up stuff can be bought aftermarket and everything is laid out to make it serviceable to a point.

And while I agree a Camry or Accord has an easier to service engine, I doubt either of your cars ran that mileage without leaks. You may not have seen them, but I've never worked on a car with mileage over 100k that wasn't leaking somewhere, even a little. Rear main seals begin to leak on virtually every car built at some point but you'll never see the leak as the oil is contained within the bellhousing.

An '85 Buick Century? Come on man, would you really enjoy replacing alternators monthly? The old 2.8L V6 is notorious for eating alternators like they're candy, I knew a guy who kept a spare one with tools and a belt in his '87 Celebrity he got so used to changing it.

You have a very good car, you just need to realize nothing lasts forever. If the previous owner neglected things on it, it's now in your lap. No car is free from some issues, no matter how good it is.

I'm really confused as to how this has gone on for five pages.

lol. Running to work, so no time to reply to all, but the thread went so long because I was being told one thing here and something else somewhere else. ;)

Honestly, I think 90's just a bit lonely. :whistles:

One things for sure, at over 1600 hits, heeee's popular! :P

OK... I am back. :) Well in addition to what I have already posted above. Well it went along way for one thing is because I was getting "different" info on changing this on other sites and I didnt know what to do. Some guy even told me that you cant change it from the bottom and another had told me that wasnt the idle-up valve, so yeah, I was confused. ;)

Valve cover gaskets are easy on these cars? I was told it was a PITB and my dealer wanted something like $400 to change them on my old LS, which I didnt do. :rolleyes: I may can get the Toyota tech I know do it fairly cheap.

Its true... those old Camrys and Accords may have been seeping something, but nothing like this LS's power steering. I have never had a power steering leak like this on any car I have owned. Also, it may be where they are so much more simple, but I have owned alot of early 70s General Motors cars and have NEVER had a power steering leak, or even a oil leak. Neither do the two I have now. I strongly believe that gaskets and seals used on the engines of the pre-80s cars are better than those on the newer cars.... I am sure they are some exceptions though, but its never been my experience. Maybe in another 10 years one of mine may start leaking. ;)

I never knew that about the Century... I wonder why? We had a 83 Cutlass Ciera (same car, but it had a 3.0L V6) and grandma had a 85 Celebrity (4-cyl) and neither of us had alternator problems... thank goodness. :) I thought the 85 Century also had a 3.0L? Maybe it was optional.

Its true... this is not a perfect car... not a POS either. I guess it was where I was upset, because its frustrating not knowing whats going on. Thankfully I have my other cars that I have to drive until I get this one repaired, so it could be worse. AFAIK, the car was well maintained... it was a 1-owner car and from the records, it was a cared for car. Seems like I bought the car when the expensive things started heading south on it. :rolleyes: Now I am suffering the consequences.

Well, all is good now. It was a stormy day, so he didnt have a chance to start on it today and it was thunderstorming when I came home, so I could not either, so maybe soon.. hopefully that will solve the issues.

Thanks again for all of the data and replies.

Honestly, I think 90's just a bit lonely. :whistles:

One things for sure, at over 1600 hits, heeee's popular! :P

lol... well one things for sure, everyone should know how to plug this valve after reading this, instead of all of those other misleading threads I have read elsewhere about this. ;)

Hi 90LS,

Hope your repair is going well. Do not despair! You are more than halfway there already, and if the underside of your car is any indication, it is in fine shape. The outside sure looks fine! Compared to my '92 underside (leaking oil, slipping tranny - you name it!) you have a very fine machine indeed! Look at it as a fine, high maintenance girlfriend; once you get her purring, it's smooth sailing, and no regrets!

Now to business - on 9/23 someone posted 3 possibilities, and he was right. If you have difficulty getting to the valve, you can always remove the pulley from in front to make it easier to get at. You will need to move the serpentine belt out of the way before you do this - about 1 minute with a long handled 3/4" drive. Also, from the looks of things it does not look like your rack has anything to do with the leak - most likely the valve, or the seal/o-ring between the reservoir and the pump body.

You have also had good advice about covering the alternator before undoing anything attached to the pump above it. Good luck and let us know when you get it done, 'cause man, I know after all that effort you are not giving up! B)

Hi 90LS,

Hope your repair is going well. Do not despair!

Thanks.

Well, he finally got it out and plugged this morning. It rained heavily all day on Friday and Saturday. He said, it was a BIG PAIN to get to and get out from underneath, but it can be done, because he did it. I have not had time to go out and check it yet... he said it wasnt leaking. I will need to drive it a few days though to be sure. Also got the broken nipple on the intake tube fixed and rerouted to the front of the throttle body as I have been told to do. I still want to try to clean the screens on the pump and rack soon... will have to look into how to do that. ;)

We will see. Updates later.

I paid a bundle to change the water pump that was leaking, along with changing the timing belt, too. The crankshaft bolt wouldn't come out, so the repair took 2 weeks. I replaced the ACV valve, and spent at least 1G on replacing bulbs, belts, hoses, radiator, pads and rotors, etc. And I used to back the 94 out of the garage, stop, and check if there were leaks on the floor from the P/S pump. Daily. Finally the A/C broke-totally. And I live in Vegas, desert hell. Estimate was $1,500-"Maybe more".

The point is that my pretty Lexus was bought with 97,000 miles. At 122,000 miles, I had it exterminated at the local Datsun dealer. Under the Cash for Clunkers program. My conclusion is that when you have to worry about leaks and noises from your car incessantly, your car is a PIA. And it costs a fortune to fix it. I once thought I'd change the power steering pump myself-OMG, what a pain.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank NC211 for bringing me to reality, and realizing that an old 1st gen Lexus is a great car, but it's like your favorite uncle-A little wobbly, creaky, and headed for the great beyond.

Yours only had 122K miles and it had these problems? Wow. I guess I should not feel as bad since mine has 223K and this is basically the only problems.

I paid a bundle to change the water pump that was leaking, along with changing the timing belt, too. The crankshaft bolt wouldn't come out, so the repair took 2 weeks. I replaced the ACV valve, and spent at least 1G on replacing bulbs, belts, hoses, radiator, pads and rotors, etc. And I used to back the 94 out of the garage, stop, and check if there were leaks on the floor from the P/S pump. Daily. Finally the A/C broke-totally. And I live in Vegas, desert hell. Estimate was $1,500-"Maybe more".

The point is that my pretty Lexus was bought with 97,000 miles. At 122,000 miles, I had it exterminated at the local Datsun dealer. Under the Cash for Clunkers program. My conclusion is that when you have to worry about leaks and noises from your car incessantly, your car is a PIA. And it costs a fortune to fix it. I once thought I'd change the power steering pump myself-OMG, what a pain.

In conclusion, I'd like to thank NC211 for bringing me to reality, and realizing that an old 1st gen Lexus is a great car, but it's like your favorite uncle-A little wobbly, creaky, and headed for the great beyond.

I dont guess it matters in the slightest now... its got a big puddle of fluid under it again and its almost out of fluid and I have not even driven it yet. :rolleyes: I guess something else is leaking.

I honestly dont know what else to do. My other car that I am driving to work now gets 10 mpg. :(

I took some new photos and the plugged hole is not leaking now. I think its a hose leaking. I will post the pics soon!