Heavy White Smoke Now When Starting... Ps Pump Is Shot! Damage To

90LS400Lexus

UPDATE! Just wanted to update here..... idle-up has been plugged... all smoking is gone! The leak was from the return hose... its been replaced and no leaks! Hope this takes care of things for awhile.

Thanks for everything! :)

------------------------------------

Well, the smoke has gotten much worse since I have started using regular transmission fluid in my PS pump. I have to refill every 3 days now... and if I turn the car off for more than 10 minutes on restart the smoke is terrible and embarrasing. Its especially bad when I let it set at work all day then I go to leave... it looks like its on fire it smokes so bad for about 10 seconds. <_< My mom/dad is supposed to be buying this car from me as I have mentioned before, but I wanted to get that fixed first and not sure when I can afford to get in my savings for a new PS pump. I had other plans for that money. I may have to break down and just buy one. I am wondering how much labor we are looking at here?

Also, if I drive it like this for a week or so more, will it damage the engine by pulling the fluid in? Thanks.

Edited by 90LS400Lexus

Also if I bought this pump... is this all I need to stop the leaks on my power steering pump or are there other parts not included that cause the leaks? I can buy this for $139.00. I cant afford a $600+ pump from the dealer. No way.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A...tPartType=C0031

215899-top.jpg

or is this a better pump?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...p;parentId=46-0

Try this before you buy a new pump.

There are two vacuum lines going from your engine to the power steering pump. This is how the fluid is getting into the engine. Take these vacuum lines loose and plug them up and also plug where they came loose from on the engine.

If it quits smoking then your idle up air control valve is bad on the power steering pump.

Change the valve and it should fix the problem. They are about $100.00 from the dealer. Part # 17630-16040. Takes about 20 minutes from the underside of the vehicle.

Change the vacuum hoses on the valve while you are at it. More than likely they will be brittle.

Jerry

There are two vacuum lines going from your engine to the power steering pump. This is how the fluid is getting into the engine. Take these vacuum lines loose and plug them up and also plug where they came loose from on the engine.

If it quits smoking then your idle up air control valve is bad on the power steering pump.

Change the valve and it should fix the problem. They are about $100.00 from the dealer. Part # 17630-16040. Takes about 20 minutes from the underside of the vehicle.

Change the vacuum hoses on the valve while you are at it. More than likely they will be brittle.

Jerry

I think this reply makes the most sense.

Jerry

I think this reply makes the most sense.

I agree.

If you look at the photo in

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=59750

you can see the two vacuum lines in question, as discussed in that thread.

That "idle-up" valve was replaced on my '91 with 165k+ miles right before I bought it, but it still has the original PS pump.

The IACV is the electric valve used to bypass airflow around throttle plate to achieve steady idle speed. This is different than the air control valve which is part of the PS pump.

Wouldn't want you ordering an IACV and when you wanted a PS ACV. Poor choice of names by Lexus as it’s easily confused.

90, this car is cleaning your clock man... maybe it's time for the fork? I know you love it, but your threads seem to be getting more and more expensive.... I'd say go the cheapest route you can to get it running right and sell it to a non-family member if you can. You might find coal in your stocking if you sell it to your folks, only to have them incur the problems you've been dealing with as well... :cheers:

90, this car is cleaning your clock man... maybe it's time for the fork? I know you love it, but your threads seem to be getting more and more expensive.... I'd say go the cheapest route you can to get it running right and sell it to a non-family member if you can. You might find coal in your stocking if you sell it to your folks, only to have them incur the problems you've been dealing with as well...:cheers:

Thanks. Well, the PS pump has been an issue for a long time now.. ever since I bought it really... that was two years ago.. its just got worse and worse to the point where its smoking and leaving drips now.

I have had the tranny mount replaced. Really after the PS issue all it will need is motor mounts (which are not pressing) and valve cover gaskets because it will put out little puffs of smoke from under the hood at times. :rolleyes:

After the pump, my dad can deal with those issues. My mom really wants it, but they know of the problems.

More later... I gotta go fix me some dinner, then take my grandma to church.

Hi 90,

Where does your grandma go to church?

Jerry

Tonight we went to my cousins church... its not her regular church the one we went to tonight. I dont know the name of her church... I dont go there. Its a pentecostal church and I am baptist.

I was also going to mention that now on some turns, its like the steering wheel is not smooth anymore. It will make this vibration sensation that can be felt on the steering wheel when turning the wheel, as if something is slipping or shaking. I guess this is the pump causing that too?

I have heard of some who just close out the vacuum lines to the PS pump (pinch them closed or remove line and plug hose to intake manifold with a golf tee). You lose the feature of rev’ing up engine for slow speed turns (a-la parking) but if you're just trying to keep it alive for a year or two longer maybe you give up that feature and use a little more arm strength while parking. There should be no effect at driving speeds. It might take a while for the smoke to go away as the inside of the intake manifold has a good coating by now (i.e. disconnecting PS vacuum lines won’t instantly fix the smoke).

Thanks for the additional replies!! I went out and checked the PS last night and it was not showing any on the stick again... this thing is really pouring now. Thats why the steering was jerking yesterday. I refilled it and drove it to work today... started when I left and my gosh the smoke was terrible. Its only gotten that bad within a few days! On the drive home, the steering got heavy for a few minutes, then smoothed back out.

*NOW I went out and I think I see those vacuum hoses everyone is referring to. One runs to the intake tube, then the other to th front of the intake... right? So I basically can disconnect those lines and plug the hoses with a screw or something, then put a vacuum cap over those intake outlets and everything will be fine until I get a new pump?

i was told that valve was a power steering assist. i remember mine broke off so i had it plugged with a screw for a long time. i got a piece of brass pipe and hammered it into the hole. hooked the hose up and i could definitely tell a difference when i went to turn my wheel.

Thanks for the additional replies!! I went out and checked the PS last night and it was not showing any on the stick again... this thing is really pouring now. Thats why the steering was jerking yesterday. I refilled it and drove it to work today... started when I left and my gosh the smoke was terrible. Its only gotten that bad within a few days! On the drive home, the steering got heavy for a few minutes, then smoothed back out.

*NOW I went out and I think I see those vacuum hoses everyone is referring to. One runs to the intake tube, then the other to th front of the intake... right? So I basically can disconnect those lines and plug the hoses with a screw or something, then put a vacuum cap over those intake outlets and everything will be fine until I get a new pump?

Yes. Just make sure you plug the lines going to the engine. You don't want a vacuum leak as it will create other/more problems. You'll need to plug the ports on the pump too as AT fluid is leaking by the valve seal. Maybe without vacuum the leak will be minimal so something simple can be sorted out.

You might even find running with the hoses disconnected is good enough (at least for the smoke problem/PS fluid loss). Your rough turning symptom isn't related to this idle up valve in the PS (unless the fluid drop is starving the pump when it gets too low) so it appears you're chasing two separate problems.

It probably would be wise to run a bit with the vacuum lines to PS pump disconnected (and PS fluid leak stopped) and the fluid topped up. Then see if it rides better at normal speeds. If so, then you only need the valve replaced not a new pump. If it's still rough with leak stopped and topped up fluid then your pump, rack and pinion, or suspension needs more investigation.

Thanks. Yeah that day it was kinda jerky, it was low on fluid, but not whining at that point, but was so low, none was on the dipstick. :rolleyes:

I dont think its the steering rack - hope not anyway, or I will have to junk it - no kidding. :(

It really pouring out externally now too... leaving puddles.... this all started suddenly - the heavy leaking that is.

That one line near the intake hose was broken off before.. you can see where someone had repaired it in the past. Tomorrow, I will remove both hoses, plug them off and then cap the others on the intake. Could I just tuck the hoses somewhere and they will be OK? They are only air hoses anyway right?

For some reason, I was thinking in order to bypass that valve that sucks fluid in the engine that you had to go under the car and do something under the PS pump... I didnt think it was this easy, or is that the neat and proper way to do it without having the dangling hoses?

Yes, you can tuck the hoses out of the way or tie them to another hose.

However, if you're seeing puddles under the car, plugging the hoses will only solve the embarrassing smoke on startup issue. The fluid you see on the ground is coming from somewhere else on the pump. I think you've got two issues with your pump. As I said before, you need to solve the "puddling" problem soon before it takes out your alternator.

But doing what curiousB suggests is still worth a try as it won't take long to do and you'll still know very quickly if it stops the puddles or not.

Thanks. Well I went out and I cant get the "furtherest away" hose off of the intake. It will turn, but I cant get it off. I am afraid I will damage the intake. The part where it goes into the intake tube is broken, so I cant plug it....

cant remove this....

001.jpg

this is broken - you can see where someone tried to repair it before.... with failure.

002-1.jpg

My dad said I should just forget it and go ahead and buy the new pump and have the guy I know install it. I have a big wallet you know. ;)

My PS pump pretty much always whines when i turn and it has plenty of fluid and no leaks. Should I be worried about pump failure? How should I fix this?

Not sure... they usually only whine when low on fluid..... pump may be worn out.

Oh boy - what now....

The hose to the center part of the intake broke when I tried to remove it and I cant get the remaining part off. :rolleyes:

Now the other part is broken to the intake hose. It appears to me that its the hose that goes to the front of the intake is where the fluid is being pulled in, so cant I just plug that one if I ever get the hose off?

Here are other photos of my woes..... :(

001-1.jpg

011.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg