Can't Turn Key

averona

It means that you probably need to grab the steering wheel and turn it as you turn the key. For some reason the key locks in place when the wheel is in a certain location. Let us know how you make out.

GDF

That's what it was. The wheel was turned pretty hard when I parked it last. I was nervous for a moment. Thanks for being there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi listers,

I have a similar problem, but it is for my trunk lock - the key is supposed to unlock the button/switch that pops the trunk and/or the gas cap. I cannot unlock it. Have tried graphite, oil, elbow grease - no luck!

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

TIA

:huh:

You didn't mention if it was the same key you had used in the past.

Are you using the master key or the valet key?

I think that lock requires the master key.

Tom

Confirmation:

On a '91, only the master key will open that lock, the valet key will not open it. Tried it about 3 minutes ago. As far as I know, there were no changes made between '91 and '92.

Jerry

You didn't mention if it was the same key you had used in the past.

Are you using the master key or the valet key?

I think that lock requires the master key.

Tom

Confirmation:

On a '91, only the master key will open that lock, the valet key will not open it. Tried it about 3 minutes ago. As far as I know, there were no changes made between '91 and '92.

Jerry

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies - the key is the master and it worked at one time... it just refuses to do anything at all now. Also, the gas cap lever works even though the switch position is locked, but the trunk lid lever does not unlock the trunk. I am thoroughly confused as to how this can be, and any insight would be very welcome. :o

TIA

I'm sure you have already tried this, but I will state the obvious anyway.

Try wiggling the key as you turn it.

Also try pushing in while you turn it.

Mine turns left to unlock by the way, not right.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I have tried everything suggested so far - wiggling the key while trying to unlock, pushing while... the whole nine yards. I am completely stumped(?) Has anyone else experienced this where the key stops working mechanically? All other locks work fine???

:huh:

TIA

• 4 weeks later...
It means that you probably need to grab the steering wheel and turn it as you turn the key. For some reason the key locks in place when the wheel is in a certain location. Let us know how you make out.

GDF

That's what it was. The wheel was turned pretty hard when I parked it last. I was nervous for a moment. Thanks for being there.

I have the similar problem that my ignition key works on all door and trunk but I can turn in the ignition. My power steering has gone bad for almost few months back. So it is hard to turn wheel but woks. Does that caused the problem now that I can not turn in the ignition? My battery is also low.

Any help in this regard, please?

Thanks,

Yeah... the 90s Toyotas/Lexus seem to be touchy in this area. I had this happen on my old 1990 LS and I thought it was a big problem, but turned out being the wheel lock had pressure on it.

I then had a friend with a 1993 Toyota Tercel. She same back in work and said her key would not turn... I said, "you have a Toyota right" and she said yeah... I went out, took the pressure off of the wheel and it cranked right up. lol.

Yeah... the 90s Toyotas/Lexus seem to be touchy in this area. I had this happen on my old 1990 LS and I thought it was a big problem, but turned out being the wheel lock had pressure on it.

I then had a friend with a 1993 Toyota Tercel. She same back in work and said her key would not turn... I said, "you have a Toyota right" and she said yeah... I went out, took the pressure off of the wheel and it cranked right up. lol.

It will be a great help if you tell us how you took the pressure off the wheel?

I have the same problem and so fa I can not make it to work.

Thanks,

It will be a great help if you tell us how you took the pressure off the wheel?

I have the same problem and so fa I can not make it to work.

Thanks,

Turn the steering wheel the way it will turn somewhat. ;)