Tire Change And Torqueing Lug Nuts Properly

PilotguyPA28

This thread caught my eye because I had new tires installed on my 2004 Sequoia this past week at Sam's Club. They have a waiting area with windows where you can watch the tire employees at work.

They have a very detailed multi-step tire installation process posted on their wall in the tire area. The final steps in the process involve tightening the lug nuts with a torque wrench. An interesting additional step is that a second tire mounting employee verifies the torque setting after the first employee has torqued the nuts. In watching them work, this full process was followed on each set of tires that were mounted.

I checked the lugnuts' torque after I got home, and they were all at 80 lb ft. This is the correct setting for the Sequoia.

Their price on the tires I had installed (B F Goodrich Long Trail T/A in 265/65/R17) was at least $10.00 per tire less than any other place (other than Tire Rack).

Their tire installation fee of $15.00 per tire seems like a good deal to me. This includes road hazard warranty, free rebalancing, tire rotation, and flat repair. It also includes a roadside assistance 800 number for tire related problems.

All of the process was not perfect. The installation took about three hours, which was too long. They didn't have enough people working on tire mounting.

they should have used what is known as a torque stick, different sticks for diferent torques...first use the stick then torque with the wrench. a wheel off in a shop costs the company thousands

I'll check my local Sam's to see if they have the same procedure you stated. If they do and they actually go by it that is great. I will ask if they know what torgue to use on my LS430. I have 10K left on my Michelin Energys but Michelin has a $70 rebate on 4 tires and the Primacy @ $165/tire is a deal. The $15 per tire is a good deal, too. Thanks!

They use the same procedure at COSTCO. One guy torques the nuts and then it is verified. Also they are very strict about what tires they put on your car. If it is an approved size and speed rating, you're OK but anything else, you're out of luck. You have to admire their business model, sell as many tires as possible, as quickly as possible with the least amount of potential risk.

Torque is very important if you don't want to warp your rotors. Probably less a problem with Lexus because it is a beefy rotor designed to be turned between pad changes. Mercedes uses a thinner rotor that is designed to be replaced more often.

I always check torque after I get home. A good reason to check is to make sure none of the nuts are crossthreaded and if you find one then you can take care of it then rather than finding out at a far less convenient time. I was casually watching this guy put the wheels back on my Lexus and I saw that he started each lug nut by hand and finished with the air wrench. He started to hurry and did the last 2 directly with the air wrench. I checked it at home and sure enough one was cross threaded. Took it back and they changed it right away. In the middle of nowhere your only hope would be that you could snap off the stud and nut by jumping on the lug wrench.

Good excuse to get a nice Snap-On torque wrench!

glenmore

1990 ls400

1991 300ce

2000 c280

I had front rotors warped due to a kid in a tire shop playing with an air impact gun. When questioned why he used a gun to put on nuts he claimed he could tell by fell the torque setting. He didn't have a torque limiting stick on the air gun either.

Anyway I have my own torque wrench now.

I know Costco is very good about using torque wrench. Maybe the large chains are better because they invest a little more effort in uniform procedures and quality control.