Radiator Fan

arcticsilver

Hi

I just got a 92 LS400 with 87k on the clock, my rad fan has one fin missing and is very stiff. When i rev the engine up it roars very loudly, so im guessing the hydraulic/viscous fan is not releasing. I live in the uk, do you think i can remove the fan and rely on the single electric fan or invest in either a new viscous fan or and electric one... bear in mind uk temp is on average 20c :)

any help much appreciated

Martin

UK LS400 driver :rolleyes:

Climate has little to do with engine temp, so would recommend replacing entire unit (fan and clutch). Missing blade should be cause for concern. Why is it missing? A missing blade would cause the fan to be severely out of balance. Several sensors on this engine rely on proper engine temp to adjust fuel, timing, etc.

Just too critical an item to attempt a shortcut.

I was wondering why one blade was missing... but never found out. Your right it does make a vibration through the car thats one of the main reasons for taking it of.. priced replacement in UK and it works out at around $500 just for the fan and viscous clutch!!! so may convert to and electric fan if its not to big a job!

Before I spent $500 to replace one of the two electric fans, I'd remove the broken fan and drive the car. I feel the two fans are probably just overkill. Even here in southeast Virginia in the summer my engine temperature doesn't change much and I had hardly ever had the fans turn on anyway. Then I would keep looking around and see if I could fin a used fan. I saw someone had a post about wrecking their LS, so you might drop them a note and see if they are repairing or parting out, You also might try www.car-parts.com sometimes they have stuff like this.

2 external fans are for the AC system and not for the engine while internal fan is specifiaclly for the engine radiator. it has a temperature clutch wich controls fans revolutions. this fan is vital for for the engine and should be replaced ASAP otherwise you are riskin to shorten life of your engine.

With U.K. models having only one electric fan and with last summer's all time record high U.K. temperature of around 37c, I'd also recommend you get your fan fixed. Gosh, I was in the U.K. in 1990 during the previous all time record high temperature and I remember Kew Gardens looking a bit like the Arizona desert. If it stayed around 20c all year you might be able to get away without having the viscous fan but gosh it can get rather warm there in an average summer.

Martin,

If I were in your position I'd install an electric fan as well ... I've never been a fan (no pun intended) of the viscous clutch arrangement. There are numerous options available from places like Summit Racing and you'll pay a lot less than $500. You could possibly free up a few horsepower as well!!

http://store.summitracing.com/section.asp?d=5&s=93

Be Cool and Perma-Cool make good products.

P.S. Welcome to the club ... it's always good to see a fellow "Limey" on the board!

:)

well guys it took the fan of today and wow what a difference it made... the car is... silent.. and power??? I really feels like I got a new engine in there. When i got to the viscous clutch it was a wobbly as my gran after 10 jack d's :) so off it came. I am goin to use electric fan... the UK car has only one fan on the front of the rad!? Running round the temp gauge is just below halfway and never budges... on uk forum it seems a few have removed fan n using just the 1 outer fan?!

PS love the forum!

Dam. I was trying to sell a fan clutch last month. The manufacturer sent me a new one when I asked for a Fan Bracket. I still have the other one--nothing's wrong with it.

I'm a little lost. Which Fan is missing the blade, the AC/Radiator fans or the engine fan?