2002 Lexus Rx300 Problem

Volcano29

Hello everyone, I was driving last night and noticed when I tried to accelerate that car would vibrate for 3 seconds and sounded like the ABS was kicking in. During the 3 seconds the car would barely move, sort of like if you try to accelerate with the hand brake on. Does anyone know what the issue could be? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

-Pablo

Hello everyone, I was driving last night and noticed when I tried to accelerate that car would vibrate for 3 seconds and sounded like the ABS was kicking in. During the 3 seconds the car would barely move, sort of like if you try to accelerate with the hand brake on. Does anyone know what the issue could be? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

-Pablo

1st thing I would do is remove the wheels one at a time and make sure the ABS sensors are good and clean and also the gear on the axles. Don't know if that will fix it, but that is pretty simple and dirty sensors are many times the problem. Make sure they're both clean.

Thanks for the reply, would a dirty ABS sensor give a CEL because nothing showed up on the guage cluster.

Since I don't own the RX (it's my DIL's), I can't go check but don't you have a light for brakes or ABS? Not sure that an ABS would show CEL since that isn't engine related. Seems that you have NO caution lights showing, right? Wish I could give you a better answer but I would still clean those parts. May not be the cause, but it only involves labor at this point, not parts.

Others in the past have had the ABS activation problem and it does not produce any lights (CEL or ABS). From what I have heard about the sensors they are usually corroded and difficult to clean. So be careful with them. They list for about $200 each. I have read of some breaking the sensor during cleaning when it wasn't the problem.

If you are not sure your vibration is the ABS kicking in, you may want to verify this first. You can do this by removing the ABS fuse block in the fuse box. Of course nothing is at easy as it should be. You can't just pull it out. It is bolted from the bottom. You need to remove 2 10mm bolts (I think) plus some plastic clips to get at the bolt holding the fuse. Once the fuse is removed your ABS light will be on and your car will drive as a car without ABS. This will verify if your vibration is really coming from the ABS system. If it is, it is almost always caused by the ABS sensor ring which is part of the axle. In fact I can't remember any RX ABS activation problem that wasn't caused by this. Of course checking and cleaning the sensors should be your first step after you determine it is ABS activation causing your vibration. But the odds are against the sensor and with the sensor ring.

Others in the past have had the ABS activation problem and it does not produce any lights (CEL or ABS). From what I have heard about the sensors they are usually corroded and difficult to clean. So be careful with them. They list for about $200 each. I have read of some breaking the sensor during cleaning when it wasn't the problem.

If you are not sure your vibration is the ABS kicking in, you may want to verify this first. You can do this by removing the ABS fuse block in the fuse box. Of course nothing is at easy as it should be. You can't just pull it out. It is bolted from the bottom. You need to remove 2 10mm bolts (I think) plus some plastic clips to get at the bolt holding the fuse. Once the fuse is removed your ABS light will be on and your car will drive as a car without ABS. This will verify if your vibration is really coming from the ABS system. If it is, it is almost always caused by the ABS sensor ring which is part of the axle. In fact I can't remember any RX ABS activation problem that wasn't caused by this. Of course checking and cleaning the sensors should be your first step after you determine it is ABS activation causing your vibration. But the odds are against the sensor and with the sensor ring.

1 more thing, I was reading through the ABS activation threads and it seems that issue is when you step on the brake the ABS kicks in. My issue is that out of nowhere when I am completely stopped at a red light lets say. Light turns green and I step on the gas, the car hardly moves and it sounds/feels like if the ABS were kicking in the rear driver wheel. I think they are two separate issues...

I am not convinced, and it doesn't sound like you are either, that you problem is ABS activation. That's why I suggested you first remove the fuse to verify the problem is ABS activation. Otherwise once you start cleaning sensors and sensor rings you may start causing additional problem in addition to the problem you have.

• 3 weeks later...

-Pablo

Pablo,

I am having the some exact problem with my Rx300(2001). In addition to feeling like the ABS was kicking in the VSC (vechilce skid control???) light on the dashboard flashes along with a light showing a vechicle with small skid marks. Currently the CEL and VSC are illuminated on the dashboard, but the car drives normal and I have not been able to dublicate the problem for a few weeks.

I took the car to a local mechanic and pulled the following codes:

C0200- Right Front Wheel Speed Signal Fault

C1223- Fault in ABS Control System

C1224- Open/Short Circuit in NE Signal Circuit

P1130- A/F Sensor Circuit Range/Performance B1-S1

I am wondering if you can share any details on how to correct the problem? I am planning to change the ABS sensor tomorrow which is $200, unless someone knows how to get cheaper?

I am not convinced, and it doesn't sound like you are either, that you problem is ABS activation. That's why I suggested you first remove the fuse to verify the problem is ABS activation. Otherwise once you start cleaning sensors and sensor rings you may start causing additional problem in addition to the problem you have.

I agree, and I'm not convinced its ABS either. There's a difference between the car shuddering just like it does when ABS is on and the car shuddering because ABS is on.

First step, go to your local Autozone and have them pull the codes for the CEL for free. If you have an electronic issue on the ignition side, say a bad coil pack, you will get hesitation and vibration/shuddering due to the missing cylinder(s). If that is the case, you will have a code for the engine cylinder miss. That's not to say that the code for the miss is the coil pack, as it could be a spark plug or something else, but it keeps you from going down the road of checking the ABS if it is entirely unrelated.